Writing Samples??

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by TJNYM, Dec 10, 2008.

1. TJNYM

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Has anyone been submitting writing samples to any of the schools (especially the SOPHAS schools)?? I wanted to submit copy of my Masters thesis proposal, but I don't see any place on SOPHAS to do so. Is it ok to mail stuff directly to schools??

2. erikalindsay

erikalindsay caffeinated
    5+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    If a school doesn't ask for it, you don't need to send it. I wouldn't waste your time on this as I've never heard of it being necessary for an MPH program. Your ideas for a master's project might change between the time you apply and the time you start your thesis, too.

If a school does ask for it in their application info, you should contact the school to ask them how they would like you to send it. Good luck!

#2 erikalindsay, Dec 13, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  3. TJNYM

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Thanks. I ended up not sending it out (at least with the first round of apps I've submitted).

I am actually applying to PhD and a few MPH programs. I am currently enrolled in a psych Masters program and my proposal for that is already written and I am running subjects, so that is what I was going to submit. I might end up sending it in with some schools that don't use SOPHAS, but right now I'm not going to worry about it.

4. erikalindsay

erikalindsay caffeinated
    5+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    PhD programs generally do have requirements for research proposals and so on but I haven't heard of a request for a "writing sample." I was under the impression that your applications were for MPH programs solely. You should check out what each program requires.