Writing Samples??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TJNYM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been submitting writing samples to any of the schools (especially the SOPHAS schools)?? I wanted to submit copy of my Masters thesis proposal, but I don't see any place on SOPHAS to do so. Is it ok to mail stuff directly to schools??

Members don't see this ad.

If a school doesn't ask for it, you don't need to send it. I wouldn't waste your time on this as I've never heard of it being necessary for an MPH program. Your ideas for a master's project might change between the time you apply and the time you start your thesis, too.

If a school does ask for it in their application info, you should contact the school to ask them how they would like you to send it. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks. I ended up not sending it out (at least with the first round of apps I've submitted).

I am actually applying to PhD and a few MPH programs. I am currently enrolled in a psych Masters program and my proposal for that is already written and I am running subjects, so that is what I was going to submit. I might end up sending it in with some schools that don't use SOPHAS, but right now I'm not going to worry about it.

PhD programs generally do have requirements for research proposals and so on but I haven't heard of a request for a "writing sample." I was under the impression that your applications were for MPH programs solely. You should check out what each program requires.