Writing secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnnyDoe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am in the process of pre-writing my secondaries and have a question. Do schools want to see new information compared to what's on the primary application? Some prompts I have seen can be answered with one of my 15 experiences. Is it OK to still use that experience, but present new information? Overall, I am noticing a lot of overlap in my secondary and primary app. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

There tends to be a lot of opportunity for overlap between the primary and secondary, but try to avoid it if you can. If you use a similar experience, try shedding light on a different perspective than you have previously. Even if repeating yourself might not help you, it is a waste of a chance to show a different side of an experience.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a very delicate balance because you don't want to say a bunch of stuff that you already said in your primary, but you also don't want to try so hard to make it different from your primary that it seems hard to believe that the primary and secondary were written by the same person.