Writing section: examples to use

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ranson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When using examples on the WS, is alright if I make up some examples that involve historical figures as well as current politicians even though they never occurred?

Members don't see this ad.

yes!!!

I always make up some historical figure/event and data to support my passage (even though they are crazy)

In addition, I'm a terrible writer. English is my second language. Yet I still got a OK score of Q both times I wrote the MCAT!

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO, I suck at making up hypothetical scenarios. I'm always better off using real examples. Did anyone basically built a "database" of events to draw from? My Kaplan instructor encouraged this and I think it's a good idea. I'm just wondering which topics would apply to a wide variety of topics. Currently, I plan on using:

U.S. African-American Civil Rights Movement
Rise of Hitler

Maybe American Revolution as well. Any other ideas? :p

I was actually wondering about this too and maybe looking for some advice about what kinds of things are acceptable to make up?

For example I remember a recent prompt I had was something along the lines of: we should not care about the personal lives of politicians (can't remember word for word) and I couldn't think of a real counter example. So what would be acceptable to make up in this case? I was thinking about making up some story about a fictional mayor who had a history of gambling or reckless spending and then caused his city to go bankrupt. Does something like that sound good/reasonable or what would you all do? I assume it's better to make things really obscure rather than something that the grader might have actually heard of and might make you sound bad if you get the facts wrong. right?

"Sometimes I have difficulty sleeping at night," reflected former German Prime Minister Fritz Haber, "but I find comfort in knowing that I did what was best for my people, even if I had to hurt some of them in order to do so."

^^ was my "hook" for one of the AAMC FL essays. Invented on the spot, particularly if you google 'Fritz Haber.' I've invented counterexamples before and realistically, I say that there's only one rule: make it believable.

If you go to the trouble of thinking up the ideal hypothetical example for your essay, and then flesh it out by sprinkling some names, dates, or locations, then you show that you have the same level of logical reasoning as any other candidate. So long as the examiner cannot positively identify it as being false, you're home free, so make sure that it really is the best possible example for your argument and go to town.