Writing Thank You Notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

In your thank you notes to programs, how do you write it?

• Typed letter

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • Handwritten letter

Votes: 79 63.7%
  • Typed + handwritten letter

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 10 8.1%

• Total voters

Pox in a box

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Iserson says to type a thank you and add a personal note in handwriting at the end. I don't know about you, but I think this looks INCREDIBLY tacky. This brings the question, do you hand write your note to make it look more personable or do you type it to make it look professional (but risk the PD thinking it was cookie cutter and the names were changed in a template you're sending out to all the residency programs)? If you hand write them, do you use a card or use a different kind of paper?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sticking with handwritten for now on a card. Iserson is flat wrong on some of his points and I doubt it really matters that much anyway. Handwritten notes show that you took time to write it...not just inserting dates and addresses and names in a preformed template.

I'm writing all mine in long hand. I believe that it shows that my handwriting is legible, which is very important in medicine. Iserson is an idiot.

I'm writing mine on Crane's paper, it took me like weeks to find a place to get it. I certainly can't write mine on copier paper.

I handwrite all of mine on the cheap thank you cards from Target or WalMart (20 for $3.50). I don't think it matters what type of card or paper you use as long as you send a thank you.

I'm handwriting on target stationery cards... clearance aisle.

After the interview about how long are you supposed to wait before sending out the thank you letter?

After the interview about how long are you supposed to wait before sending out the thank you letter?

I think Vince Vaughn answered this one in Swingers:

Mike: So how long do I wait to call?
Trent: A day.
Mike: Tomorrow.
Sue: Tomorrow, then a day.
Trent: Yeah.
Mike: So two days?
Trent: Yeah, I guess you could call it that, two days.
Sue: Definitely, two days is like industry standard.
Trent: You know I used to wait two days to call anybody, but now it's like everyone in town waits two days. So I think three days is kind of money. What do you think?
Sue: Yeah, but two's enough not to look anxious.
Trent: But I think three days is kind of money. You know because you...
Mike: Yeah, but you know what, maybe I'll wait three weeks. How's that? And tell her I was cleaning out my wallet and I just happened to run into her number.
Charles: Then ask her where you met her.
Mike: Yeah, I'll ask her where I met her. I don't remember. What does she look like? And then I'll asked if we f***ed. Is that... would that be... T, would that be the money?
Trent: You know what. Ha ha ha, Mike, laugh all you want but if you call too soon you might scare off a nice baby who's ready to party.
Mike: Well how long are you guys gonna wait to call your babies?
Trent, Sue: Six days.

I think Vince Vaughn answered this one in Swingers:

Mike: So how long do I wait to call?
Trent: A day.
Mike: Tomorrow.
Sue: Tomorrow, then a day.
Trent: Yeah.
Mike: So two days?
Trent: Yeah, I guess you could call it that, two days.
Sue: Definitely, two days is like industry standard.
Trent: You know I used to wait two days to call anybody, but now it's like everyone in town waits two days. So I think three days is kind of money. What do you think?
Sue: Yeah, but two's enough not to look anxious.
Trent: But I think three days is kind of money. You know because you...
Mike: Yeah, but you know what, maybe I'll wait three weeks. How's that? And tell her I was cleaning out my wallet and I just happened to run into her number.
Charles: Then ask her where you met her.
Mike: Yeah, I'll ask her where I met her. I don't remember. What does she look like? And then I'll asked if we f***ed. Is that... would that be... T, would that be the money?
Trent: You know what. Ha ha ha, Mike, laugh all you want but if you call too soon you might scare off a nice baby who's ready to party.
Mike: Well how long are you guys gonna wait to call your babies?
Trent, Sue: Six days.

HAHA!! love it:)

what about emailing thank-you's? big no-no? it would be so much easier.... tempted.

I think you guys may be wasting your time.

When we interview candidates, we rank them that very night. The thank you letter isn't going to change anything, positively or negatively.

Now, it may be different at other programs. Maybe they wait until they've interviewed everyone before going back. I doubt it. There's hardly a way people can remember the candidates at such a time distant from the actual interview.

Thank you cards are nice, but they don't matter in the long run. Fellowship is probably different...especially in a match with 10-20 people applying.

I think you guys may be wasting your time.

When we interview candidates, we rank them that very night. The thank you letter isn't going to change anything, positively or negatively.

Now, it may be different at other programs. Maybe they wait until they've interviewed everyone before going back. I doubt it. There's hardly a way people can remember the candidates at such a time distant from the actual interview.

Thank you cards are nice, but they don't matter in the long run. Fellowship is probably different...especially in a match with 10-20 people applying.

From what I hear, programs that I've interviewed at review files at the end of December. Thank you notes are like you said...not very helpful. BUT as some people here will say, they reflect your upbringing. :rolleyes:

so, what is the conclusion? how should we do it?

Is there enough room on the standard Thank You cards to write everything you want to say?

The ones I've seen have "Thank You" written on the cover horizontally. Apparently, it's not typical to start writing on the top inner flap (the other side of the cover), which leaves just the bottom inner flap. Something makes me think that spilling over onto the back isn't considered cool either (kinda like having to finish up 2 lines of an admission H&P on a new page in the chart).

HELP!

A chairman wrote me a letter (or his secretary typed what he dictated) and then he personally wrote a handwritten note at the bottom.

Is there enough room on the standard Thank You cards to write everything you want to say?

The ones I've seen have "Thank You" written on the cover horizontally. Apparently, it's not typical to start writing on the top inner flap (the other side of the cover), which leaves just the bottom inner flap. Something makes me think that spilling over onto the back isn't considered cool either (kinda like having to finish up 2 lines of an admission H&P on a new page in the chart).

HELP!
what is everyone writing on their card? i only use one side of the card and just the bottom half. Can't imagine having that much to say...

have bought thank you cards that have flowers on top with thank you written. would that be appropriate or should i buy something different

also, there doesnt seem to be enough room on these cards.

I think handwritten letters are too informal and possibly unprofessional. Others in the business world type out their letters, why not in medicine? I think it's the content that should be personal, rather than one's handwriting.

That's how I've done it; typed them but with a line or two personalizing each message.

That's how I've done it; typed them but with a line or two personalizing each message.

how do you write the personalized message? do you put a handwritten P.S. and then write it?