Writing your own LOR...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pirata

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so just throwing this out there, but has anyone else had the experience of one of their letter writers asking you to write your own recommendation letter as though it is coming from them, which they will then modify and send off?

I'm at a loss of what to say at the moment (or at least, what to say without sounding completely assuming and arrogant), just wondering how other folks handled this...

Members don't see this ad.

I have had to, once, because the person wasn't fluent in English as well. I didn't lie and say I was the best thing since sliced bread. I just wrote what I did, no lies as to what I did, and what he said about me to me in his native language.

my PI had me do that for an award i applied for. its the WORST. so hard to do. best of luck.

on the other hand, if there are other undergrads who are in the same boat as you that you know well, you guys can swap and write each other letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask the person if they would be comfortable with you submitting a copy of your application to them in lieu of actually writing your own LOR. A list of all of your activities, grades, and a personal statement should give them plenty to work with to easily write a LOR themselves.

I just had to do this and it became a very strong letter. I was worried at first but it's actually a great thing since you can write in all these details that the letter writer probably wouldn't think of (just don't repeat anything from your essays). Here is a link to an essay editing company that tells you how to write your own letter.

http://www.accepted.com/medical/LettersRec.aspx

Make yourself sound like the greatest applicant in the world. The worst that will happen is that they might tone it down a little after you give it to them. In my case, the guy loved it and just signed it and mailed it in the next day. Make sure you give it to them in a Word document so they can print it on their letterhead.

That sounds sucky. I don't think I could manage to write my own LOR.

I was an undergrad TA for a lab...and someone needed an LOR sooner than the prof/instructor or grad TAs could do one. So they asked me...even though I was really only a fellow undergrad. It was weird. Took me forever to write...and I didn't have to really think about myself.

My research professor actually told me that she used to write her own LOR's as a student, because that way you'd have the most control over what people say about you, and because you know yourself the best. Not that I ended up writing my own, but I guess that would be the plus side...

if i did, i would slip in my LOR, "I once saw him cure cancer with nothing more then a dirty sock and a roundhouse kick"

OK, advice. Don't lie. Don't present yourself as superhuman. Present yourself in exactly what you did, and ask the person you're writing in lieu of for exactly what he/she thinks of you. Any less is dangerous!

Yep. I had my friend who is better at writing than me do it for me. I told him what I wanted in it, my relationship with the prof, etc. Looks great. Prof is finalizing it tomorrow with me.

I had to write a few if anyone wants a copy PM me with your e-mail.

juiceman311 said:
Yep. I had my friend who is better at writing than me do it for me. I told him what I wanted in it, my relationship with the prof, etc. Looks great. Prof is finalizing it tomorrow with me.
That's a good plan. Helps minimize the possibly overboasting.

vtucci said:
I had to write a few if anyone wants a copy PM me with your e-mail.
Aren't good LORs usually somewhat unique?