Written Board prep.... what you guys doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinipig523

I like my job!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, boards are coming up in 2 months... what are you guys doing to study for this? And how are you guys coming along with the studying?

As for me, I'm trying my best to read and do questions but it's tough as a new attending especially when I'm working 160h a month.

Members don't see this ad.

Why are you working that much? - is that your group's doing or are you trying to make extra money? That works out to 20 x 8's. Seems like a lot unless you are working 12s in a low volume place. Do you think it will be sustainable for the long term?

Took it last year. I recommend:

do all of peer 7 & 8.

Read 1 core content reference.
choose from:
Tintinelli
AAEM book
1st Aid
EM Secrets
Carol Rivers
Etc.

I started a month before, went leisurely, and crammed the 2 weekend days before the exam.
Expect some esoterica on the exam. It didn't exactly reflect my average day in the ED.

Members don't see this ad :)
Took it last year as well. Never did any PEER questions. Didn't read a book. Flew to Vegas, had fun, wrote off the expenses.

I did 30 minutes of questions/day on most days for a month before, because I would've been anxious if I didn't do anything. In retrospect it was probably overkill.

If you made it through an accredited residency without too much trouble you'll likely be fine simply by doing whatever you're personally motivated to do.

I did most of PEER VI and VII, I think, which dates me.
Was plenty. You know this stuff.

Don't overthink it... if I recall correctly, you had a pretty aggro study plan in residency... if you stuck to it, you're fine.

Worst thing you could do is overstuff your brain at this point.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Assuming that you passed the in-service comfortably your senior year, whatever worked for you then should work for you now.

I just did questions--PEER VII, Rivers, whatever I could get my hands on. Read the answers for all of them, even the ones you got right. That will reinforce what you know and remediate what you don't. For any questions you were completely clueless about, you should read the relevant section in your favorite study guide, but at this point I would advise focusing on questions rather than reading.

Thanks fellas! Going to continue with my questions and some reading here and there. I don't think I'll be able to pull off my study schedule from last year's inservice though.