Written Board (QE) exam experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

46&2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Found out I passed the written (QE) board exam. Results seemed to come quickly (< 3 weeks). I thought it was a more clinically relevant and fair exam than the ABSITE. The ABS content outline on the test's composition (weight given to various topics) does seem accurate. I would say the test is 80% senior ABSITE and 20% SESAP knowledge. To break it down another way, a quarter of it seemed easy, another quarter unfairly controversial 'we do this in practice, but the book says...', another 25% 'that's a fair question, and I don't know a great answer', and the final quarter was 'WTF'?

My two main pieces of advice are to establish a disciplined foundation of knowledge throughout residency and then do SESAP twice, with the repeat session very near test time.

For building a foundation, my program was too cheap to buy the SCORE curriculum (it looks good, though). The last few ABSITEs, I did the Schwartz and DeVirglio ABSITE question books before each exam, and I thought they were great practice. I did read most of Greenfield's my first two years and Cameron in the last three. I think the latest edition of Cameron's (10th edition, blue cover), however, is crap compared to the 9th edition. In retrospect, I would toss any basic surgical text (Greenfield, Sabiston, or Schwartz). UpToDate is now scarily good on many surgical topics, and it is my first go to for any real life clinical questions. For books, I think ACS Surgery and Cameron's are the way to go for exams and treating patients. Selected Readings in General Surgery and journals are gravy.

While consistent studying rather than cramming is old advice, I would expect to have scant time to cram for the QE. Time is spent moving and decompressing from residency. A few of my colleagues started fellowships with >80 hour work weeks in a new hospital system. I worked till the end of June and then moved overseas. Most are stressed. The ABS is inflexible- you get one shot in early August.

I obtained an Osler syllabus- it sucked. The audio CD lectures I heard were decent but not game changing. I would rather spend time doing question books (Osler's website has one- it's old but good).

The big kicker: *SESAP * was overkill for the ABSITE, but it's a powerful tool for the board exam. SESAP really frustrated me, and I did poorly on the questions (~30-50% correct). But then I got to listen to the SESAP Audio Companion, and I was really surprised at how the speakers 'humanized' the knowledge. They discussed the material's nuances and ambiguity, reemphasizing certain info that wasn't discussed in textbooks or day-to-day clinical activity. Much more digestable, but doesn't cover SESAP's full extent. It's also horribly expensive, but a pool of residents could reasonably split the costs.

Toward exam time, I think it's important to look at what ABS categories have little weight (e.g. <5%) and deemphasize those categories' minutiae (e.g. pediatrics or transplant).

Study SESAP twice before stressing over cellular biology.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As a guy who was an ABSITE "geek" and just found out I passed the QE I completely agree with the above poster. Basic science text for the first 2 years, Cameron for the last 3 years. SESAP 14 is overkill for the ABSITE but if you want to score high then do it. After building a strong fund of knowledge the QE is exam is relatively straightforward.

Likewise, I also found out I passed the QE just yesterday. My preparation was not nearly as much as I would have liked to do. I am currently a Colorectal Fellow. The content followed the outline given on the board of surgery website, and mirrored in my mind the senior ABSITE for the majority of the exam. I feel that the OPs 25% breakdowns of Easy/Controversial Two Answers are good/Im not sure of the answer/Im hoping this question is thrown out. Test was Aug 8, and pass/fail report was on Aug 20. The true score report has not quite yet come in as of yet in the mail.

Since 70% of us are doing fellowships after residency, I imagine a lot of you will be in the same boat as myself. Recently moved to a new city, starting a new fellowship, trying to make a good impression, reading for your fellowship, you likely will not be happy with the amount of time that you have to study for this thing. Of course, study habits will vary widely from person to person, and I wouldn't necessarily condone my study habits, as I have an unhealthy xbox and PC gaming habit which has followed me ever since high school.

During residency, we kept up reading Schwartz/Cameron each week, so we went thru the textbook over the course of the year each time.

Around ABSITE, I would scan through Fiser's review over the course of two weeks, plus going through SESAP once.

I started seriously reviewing for boards the first week of July, but was still within the absolute chaos mode of fellowship, so really it was the second week of July when I hunkered down.

I had Sesap audio plugged into my iphone, and listened to the whole thing once while doing my 42 mile each way commute to work (Southwest Houston all the way up to The Woodlands, yay).

I went through SESAP 14 once through, spending lots of time reading the explanations and taking notes as necessary. I then repeated only the questions that I had gotten incorrect, and re-read the explanations for those. I spent 100-110 hours in total on SESAP, much more so the last week leading up to the test.

I also purchased the Surgery Board Weapon QE question data bank for 99 bucks for a one month subscription and got through 33% of it with the iphone app version of it, during downtime in clinic, or between cases. I thought the content material covered was reasonable, but definitely had some questionable material that id not read before, so I can't say it was as high yield as SESAP.

The night before I re-memorized all the GI hormones, coag pathways, Resp Quotients, TPN, and all that other crap that has a memory retention t(1/2) of one hour or less. and skimmed Head and Neck and the Urology/Gyn/orthopedics the day before that.

Good luck to you future test takers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to all of you. Hard work pays off.

I'm new to this and couldn't figure out how to start a new thread so I'm piggybacking off of this one. Can anyone tell me the PERCENTAGE NEEDED TO PASS the General Surgery Qualifying Exams? I'm taking question banks (SCORE, SESAP, TruLearn & BoardVitals) and I'm averaging between 71-76% and I'm not sure if that's good enough.

I do not recommend BoardVitals by the way. It's heavy in anesthesia, ICU, and venousthromboembolism disease which is good if your weak in those subjects, but a lot of their answers are wrong and contradictory to SESAP & SCORE.

I'm new to this and couldn't figure out how to start a new thread so I'm piggybacking off of this one. Can anyone tell me the PERCENTAGE NEEDED TO PASS the General Surgery Qualifying Exams? I'm taking question banks (SCORE, SESAP, TruLearn & BoardVitals) and I'm averaging between 71-76% and I'm not sure if that's good enough.

I do not recommend BoardVitals by the way. It's heavy in anesthesia, ICU, and venousthromboembolism disease which is good if your weak in those subjects, but a lot of their answers are wrong and contradictory to SESAP & SCORE.

I'm not sure what the exact percentages would be, though if you look at the numbers in the past five years, there has been a 75-81% pass rate. Your ABSITE scores would be more correlative to this and making above 25-30% on the senior ABSITE is more indicative of passing the QE.

SESAP and SCORE are probably your best resources, though someone who is closer to this test may be a better resource for this.

Anyone who has taken the QE in the past years have a percentage passing score from the ABS? Do they tell you?

Hello SDN - I wanted to share my experience with the ABS Certifying exam since I used this site a bit to help me through various times during my training. This is long, since I figured I would be more specific rather than leave you with questions. I bolded the important items.

We got our results about 8 days after the test in regards to pass/fail. I fortunately passed. Taken august 13th, email came out august 21st

Background: I have always thought of myself as a pretty good standardized test taker. During residency, I focused a lot more on research and operating rather than reading multiple text books. I would generally read most of the topics through camerons but never dedicated reading the book cover to cover. I did however use the general surgery SCORE curriculum/ACS weekly schedule during years 2-5 of my residency. I didnt read the articles each week in depth (or sometimes at all), but I did do the questions and read the answers, probably retaining about 10% of the information. I do have a very good memory when it comes to learning items on rounds, by my attendings, and have good recollection of items I was "pimped" on throughout residency, my motto was never miss the same question twice, so I felt that for the most part I knew basics regarding general surgery. I did not have a strong background in complex general surgery, complex surgical oncology/HPB, esophagus, or transplant surgery through I knew enough to get by. I knew bread and butter general surgery very well since we saw a lot of acute care surgery, colon, breast, minimally invasive, bariatrics, vascular both peripheral and access, and endocrine etc in regards to clinical experience. I did not take the ABSITE seriously every year, and scored anywhere from 28-81%, mostly in the 40's, especially in my last 2 years (4 and 5). I did however know that I would take my boards pretty seriously.

Preparation: Starting around April/May, I began to gather my materials for the boards. I got the NY General Surgery Board Review Videos (2014 edition), and purchased true learn for the writtens. I got through a half a video a day starting around May. I just couldnt focus on getting more than that done with residency coming to a close and a fellowship nearing, moving and finding a new place. I would say I would spend about 30 min-1 hour a day trying to study for the boards, but would end up loosing focus easily. I did try to take advantage of this time with my current attendings to go over oral boards stuff, probably spending a total of 20 hours over the course of a month going through scenarios as I knew I would not have the same access to them while I was at my fellowship. Overall though, I did not really study that much, though I would think about studying..a lot....

Materials and Planning: I checked out true learn - 1000 questions approximately. Ok, I could get through that in about 2 weeks. Then I looked at SESAP 15 - 830 topics - another 2 weeks. SESAP 14 - 630 items, I could do that in another 2 weeks. Some of my previous colleagues had made SESAP outlines - About 120 pages for SESAP 14/15. Ok, not too bad in terms of total questions, I would start studying about 8 weeks before the exam and get through the questions I needed to and materials, and watch the 50 videos or so that came with the board review. Unfortunately, as many of my predecessors noted, fellowship life and the move came a lot faster.

I dropped the videos and only watched half, focusing on the topics I was not very strong in (the above mentioned ones). I then moved to doing SESAP 15. I could only get through 1 topic a day max (40 questions max), and would take detailed noted. The outlines that my previous chiefs made was not very helpful because they made it for themselves, though it was a good read on the subway. During each day (about 6 weeks total, I know i started a bit late)I would try to listen to sesap audio (random topics close to what I studied the previous day) or watch half of a boards video during my commute. After my work day, I would come home and try to get through one topic in sesap or 20-30 questions in true learn. I had to rush through SESAP 14, but read all the questions and critiques and only took notes on the items I got wrong. Same with TrueLearn, just focus on the stuff that I got wrong as well as the random equations they presented. My main focus was SESAP 15. I made sure I knew the topics they talked about and filled in any gaps in my knowledge by looking up names of various procedures, and making sure I knew what each item discussed and what all the different procedures meant and what they looked like etc (just by googling them, nothing to crazy).

The day and a half before I reviewed the items I got wrong in true learn, I also made sure to memorize GCS (not on my test), and read through the fiser absite book topics of gyne, urology, and ortho. (could probably do without ortho as it is all trauma related). I also made sure I knew all the various nutrition equations, respiratory equations etc. The nutrition section in Fiser was very helpful both on absite and ABS exam. Hopefully this gives you an idea of the preparation. In regards to performance, I was getting about 60% correct on both true learn and SESAP.

Exam day: I felt good about the exam, and thought that SESAP 15 and SESAP 14, as well as truelearn, all covered the majority of topics on the test. These would be my main study tools if I needed to take the test again (Fortunately I do not!). The board videos were OK if you had a signficant deficiency in your learning. This test was similar to the absite in many ways.

Please feel free to message me if you have additional questions.

Reactions: 1 users
I also took the Boards and pass & I agree with a lot of what BreastSurg said. Here's my take on it:

1. Everywhere you look it says that the Boards are 300 questions, but actually it was more like 325 questions. I'm guessing they throw out a total of 25 questions. There are 5 sections that are 90 minutes each with about 65 questions in each section. You have more than enough time to go through all the questions and review any questions you want. So technically the exam should last about 7.5 hours, but you get an hour & 15 minutes worth of breaks, making the whole day being almost 9 hours if you utilize the whole time.

2. Between breaks 1&2, 2&3, & 4&5 you have a 10 minute break. Any unused time from your test spills over into break time. So for example, in my first block I finished with 15 minutes to spare...so I had a 25 minute break between 1 & 2. In my second block I reviewed more questions since I didn't think I knew the answer to any of them and ended up with 1 minute to spare so I had 11 minutes for my 2nd break. Between section 3&4 is a 45 minute break You don't have to use up the entirety of any break. I started at 8 a.m. and my test was done by 3-3:30 (7-7.5 hours because I didn't use up all my break or test time).

3. The reason I found the test so hard was I would read the question, know the answer, but wouldn't find the answer in my answer choices. So they don't give you the correct answer, but you're supposed to choose the best answer out of a series of wrong options. The questions themselves, I knew the answer to, but again the answer choice I wanted wasn't provided and you had to choose the best option based off what was available. So they're basically all...guess what I'm thinking questions. Aargh. Highly recommend getting a plastics book to go over extremity injuries and plastics reconstruction. I wish I would've done that.

4. There were maybe 3-5 basic science questions. I memorized all the vitamin deficiencies the week of the test as well as kcal/day & protein for a given type of patient and I'm glad I did 'cuz at least I know I got those questions right.

5. In terms of studying, Pass Machine is helpful for the basics that you should know, but don't. Specifically in fields my program is weak in such as Pediatrics, Pancreatic & Liver surgery. The best thing is SESAP & I highly recommend SESAP audio The first time I took the SESAP questions I was panicking 'cuz I did so bad (like high 50s, low 60s). Then I listened to the SESAP audio and it helped so much in my understanding what they're looking for. I highly recommend getting SESAP 15 in paper format now and then SESAP 16 is supposed to come out next year. Get that in the online format. Then you have both. SESAP focuses on specific topics so just one isn't comprehensive of all you need to know. I only had 1, but they say the Boards is one behind SESAP so 15 would be best for this next year. Once 16 comes out 15 is no longer available online that's why I'm saying to get it in the paper format. Everyone told me that SESAP was too cutting edge for the Boards and was probably overkill, but I'm telling you that is absolutely not true. SESAP is the way you'll pass your Boards because so much of what we are studying has changed from year to year and to have the most accurate information from the experts is the only way to know what the right answer is. Otherwise you'll read 3 different things and get 3 different answers as to what is right. When that happens, SESAP is right. It's produced by the ACS and what it says is the answer, is what the Boards answer is going to be. I also did Truelean which is about 1,000 questions. It's good because it covers topics in a question format that you wouldn't get in SESAP so it makes you feel like you've covered everything, but the questions are much easier than the actual Boards. And some of their answers are wrong, which can make things confusing. (I also did BoardVitals questions which I do not recommend....total waste of time and they are wrong on so many things it'll just end up confusing you.). I'm a question-based learner so that's why I did so many questions. You may find it more helpful reading from a book, but I can't focus enough by doing that. Walking in to the test I was scoring in the 80s on both TrueLearn and SESAP, but that's having gone over all those questions 3 times (wrong & right) over the span of about 6 months.

7. I always did horrible on the ABSITE and never felt I knew what to study so if that's you I highly recommend starting early and doing what I did: Pass Machine, TrueLearn, SESAP, & SESAP audio.

Reactions: 1 user
Just took the QE for the first time and passed. I found these forums to be helpful, so I wanted to chip in my experience. In short, I waited 2 years to take the QE, against the advice of many people who said “take it as soon as possible!” I chose to finish my one-year fellowship without worrying about boards and to spend another year to take my time & prepare for the QE, looks like it’s worked out so far.

The remainder of this post is fairly lengthy, in part because I felt that I could never have enough data to work from when preparing for the QE.

Textbooks: I never really believed all the people that said “read ___ cover-to-cover” - I would read a chapter for weekly lectures and forget over half the material, not even to mention the esoteric testable content. I read the Whipple chapter from Mastery at least 3 times and still only retained about 60% of it. I was advised early on that being a good surgeon and passing the ABSITE were both obligatory and distinct objectives, and there was no reason to assume that one would facilitate the other, so I wasn’t big on the cover-to-cover method.

ABSITE: I was never great at ABSITEs, started in the 9th percentile, and ranged from 20s-70s. The biggest jump for me came after taking an ABSITE course (ABSITE Review), which I subsequently took every year after that. I still was never a star, but was able to at least stay employed.

Deferring QE opportunities: one of the alumni from the fellowship I went to was the lone voice that advised me to defer the QE until after fellowship. He took it during fellowship, failed, and felt that he didn’t have enough time to prepare. Everyone else said to take it while the material was fresh from residency. I figured some of those people genuinely wanted me to pass, others just wanted to rationalize why they should get their own boards over with as soon as possible.

As a devil’s advocate, I’d say that with so much at stake, why would I want to get it over as soon as possible? If you’re a patient getting a Whipple, do you want the guy who gets it over as soon as possible or the guy who did everything reasonably conceivable to achieve meticulous resection & reconstruction? Re: what was at stake, our chairman pointed out that in legal matters, attorneys would have access to our first-time board pass rate and if sued could pursue a line of questioning of “So most surgeons pass the boards on their first attempt, did you?” Obviously the accreditation status of my residency also weighed on my conscience.

In addition, I hoped (and was found to be correct) that my first year of practice offered me more time to study than my chief year of residency or my one year of fellowship. I definitely had more freedom in time off to go to courses. Speaking of which:

QE Prep: Since I had deferred for two years, I wanted to at least prove to myself that my training regimen would exceed the average regimen. I went to three courses and did about 2000 questions twice. I really struggle to have the attention span for reading undirected primary material, so I didn’t make any effort to read anything “cover-to-cover.” My plan adapted as the year went along, but this is ultimately what I did:

-December: ABSITE Review Course
-January: ABSITE course at St. Barnabas in New Jersey
-January: Take the ABSITE
-2 x SESAP 13, 14, 15
-2 x Fiser
-A couple hundred SCORE questions
-July: Osler Course
-July: QE

ABSITE Review course: this is the ~$500 course offered at Chicago, Atlanta, LA, Vegas. I have taken this course at least 6 times in my life, It’s virtually identical every time. While there is some value, I’d say it’s among the lowest yield products out there. The printed materials are full of typos, only line up with the talks about 90% of the time, and the exact same errors persist year after year. One of the 3 speakers (Mahmoud) is a really nice guy, but not particularly gifted in oration. He was also a speaker at Osler, and was definitely in the bottom quartile of teaching ability there.

ABSITE course at St. Barnabas in New Jersey: this is the highest yield ABSITE course I’ve taken. Dr. Chamberlain puts together an excellent curriculum with excellent speakers. They explain a little more of the concepts than ABSITE Review, they’re more entertaining, the food is better, and it’s like a quarter of the price (< $200, feels like robbery). This course is not publicly advertised or Google-accessible, and I don't want to compromise their privacy if they're doing it intentionally. If you want to find a contact person, get in touch with the people that run the general surgery residency there, they should be able to get you into the right channels.

ABSITE: I hadn’t done much studying other than going to these two weekend courses, so this turned out to be more of a diagnostic test of where I stood before doing a bunch of study questions. They don’t give you a percentage as an attending, but I got 68% correct.

As a reference, over the prior 6 exams, I scored 69 - 79% correct, this was a range of 28 - 73rd percentile. So I knew that I had scored the lowest as my diagnostic score, and that it was less than 35th percentile of 3rd year residents. On the QE, I scored pretty much in the middle of the pack, and it appears that they fail about 20%.

I also want to point out that contrary to what many people told me, I felt that the QE was more similar to the ABSITE than anything else I could compare it to. Every single question I got felt like something I would or could have seen on an ABSITE. Although some questions had some complexity, I didn’t see any that reached the complexity of a typical SESAP question. Many were straightforward first-level questions. There was a mix of 4-choice answers and 5-choice answers, maybe 20% 4-choice. Several people told me it was so different that taking ABSITE review courses was a waste of time; in retrospect, I would fully disagree with that sentiment.

Fiser: Over the last 7 years, I’ve found Fiser’s ABSITE Review Questions to be more similar to ABSITE questions than anything else I’ve seen (SCORE, SESAP, Rush, Hopkins). I’ve been through my book of 580 questions at least 10 times in my life, so it only takes about an hour or two to flip through it, but I still found it useful. I did it once during the spring, marked the questions I got wrong, and then looked at the wrong questions the day before the exam.

SESAP: This forum seemed to consistently recommend SESAP, so I put some effort into getting as much SESAP exposure as possible. As some have mentioned, it is very difficult to get SESAP once a new version is released. I had SESAP 13 from residency, and SESAP 15 is the current version so I got that one too. I had my local library obtain SESAP 14 from the National Library of Medicine as an interlibrary loan (although they were only able to get the first of the two volumes). The most accurate advice I heard about SESAP was at the end of my training regimen from an Osler instructor: “I did SESAP and only got about half right..the real value is in the explanations.”

I was able to go through SESAP 13 & 15 twice through the Spring without much difficulty in time management, I was surprised when I heard from a Plastics fellow that she “did SESAP” but did not complete even a single year’s database of questions. Of note, she passed the QE on her first attempt. I got SESAP 14 later in the game and had to hustle, and found that I did in general get bogged down spending a long time trying to pick a best answer, while probably the actual value was in the explanation of the answer that I had yet to look at. I embraced the struggle to find a best answer out of 5 very lengthy answer choices because I thought this was most representative of the QE, when in fact, I found the QE noticeably less verbose and less complex.

For all three of the SESAP databases, I was getting around 30% correct on my first attempts - this was a point of some concern to me, as I all the people I talked to were scoring in the 50-60% range.

Of tangential interest, at the Osler course, there were many questions directed to the instructors that began with “..but in SESAP, it says..” That indicated to me that SESAP was a very prevalent source, and that many of our peers have synthesized the information and have it at immediate recall.

The Johns Hopkins ABSITE Review Manual is a nice collection of questions that I used during residency and had found slightly more rigorous than Fiser and more ABSITE-like than SESAP, but I didn’t end up using it because so many people had told me the QE was different than the ABSITE. In retrospect, this probably would have been time well spent.

SCORE is allegedly exactly what the QE is derived from, but I found the questions to be pretty low yield. Many questions had little or even no explanation. In addition, the primary sources from which they are derived (usually Greenfield) had minimal exposition on the content that would help me answer similar questions. On many questions, you could derive the correct answer without any content knowledge simply based on how the answers were written (something like “A) all ___ are lethal” – we all know that answers with absolute expressions are wrong), which I did not feel was representative of the QE. Since the SCORE questions felt quite different from Fiser or SESAP, I didn’t spend that much time on them. In retrospect, I’m surprised that so many people espouse its reliability.

Osler: I met a lot of haters on Osler, but I found it to be overall the most useful product I used. There was enough time (4-5 days instead of a weekend) to cover the lion’s share of the material, they did a bunch of questions, they gave good explanations, and it was helpful to observe and chat with other serious test takers. Also, if you fail, you can retake the course for free. Some of the speakers were truly superb, and gave me a better understanding of some major concepts than I had ever had throughout residency (Peds Surgery, Oncology). St. Barnabas had several content experts, but Osler had an actual ENT give the ENT talk, among other experts. I had memorized rat facts about ENT for 7 years and never understood any of them; after a one-hour lecture, I understood dramatically more - and I could ask them clarifying questions afterwards.

I took Osler a week before the exam, as it’s designed, and had my first sign of reassurance in my training regimen that I might pass the QE when the instructor went through 50 questions at the end of the first day and I got 90% correct, and fully understood the material of the 10% I missed. I had been doing SESAP questions where I was getting 30% correct, and about half the questions I got wrong, I had no grasp at all of the specific content being examined.

Some people comment on the expense of these courses. This is strange to me. Our careers are worth millions of dollars - a typical surgical specialist may pull $300k/year over a 30-year career - that’s $9M, plus benefits. Can you imagine an NBA player signing a $9M contract with the Lakers, then complaining that he had to spend $5000 on some portion of his training?

QE: I used all the simple tricks I could think of for the last week of prep. To combat jet lag to Osler and to be able to retain as much of the lecture material as I could, I took Ambien to get enough sleep and caffeine tablets to stay awake; I guess it was prophylactic since I hadn’t actually had difficulty sleeping or staying awake yet, but I knew from prior experience that I probably would. I worked out every day of the course to try to keep some metabolic activity going after sitting in lecture for 10 hours a day.

For the QE, I took the day off from work the day before, worked out, and flipped through some question bank material that I had set aside in advance to review on the day before. I tried to plan out most of the last 24 hours before the exam in advance to minimize the decision making and unpredictability immediately before the exam. I took Ambien the night before. I prepared a light lunch, low on carbs. Caffeinated at the beginning and midpoint of the exam. Brought layered clothing and comfortable shoes & pants. Kept some candy and fruit in my locker for energy boosts and something to look forward to during breaks. I made plans to do something fun at the end to have something to look forward to.

One month later, I was standing next to the scrub sink and saw old friends posting #passedboards on Facebook. I checked the ABS website with great apprehension and found that I had passed the QE. To the future examinees that read this: you are already surgeons. I wish you the best of luck and hope that you will have the same success.

Appendix:

I’ve attached two pieces of data from my letter of qualification that was not available to me prior to the exam. One shows the bell curve of the examinees, with the mark that they set for passing. You can see the distribution of the scores and how they have about 20% fail each year.

The second image is an explanation where they state in broad strokes their algorithm. I don’t really understand what it means, maybe some of the readers will. It is my belief, and it annoys me that this could be true, that the ABS intentionally fails 20% of the examinees. These are actual surgeons - physicians who have been doctors for over half a decade, with hospital privileges, individuals that have spent over a decade of concerted effort and supranormal work schedules - and our national organization has a blanket policy that they should fail 20% of them. In every other professional training pathway that I’ve seen (EMT, ACLS, ATLS, ATOM), the curriculum is designed to get every willing participant to pass. Why is this one designed to get 20% of us to fail?

The second image includes a sentence that states, “theoretically, all examinees could pass (or fail) each year; there is no pre-designated failure rate on the Qualifying Exam.” I had read this prior to the exam and took false consolation in the idea that perhaps this exam was not curved, and we could all pass if we were qualified. They also state that “passing scores are determined each year through psychometric analysis and comparison with previous examinations so that the passing score is comparable from year to year. This way, examinees have the same chance of passing regardless of the examination year..or ability of the overall examinee group.” Taken together, one could surmise that there is no curve.

On the other hand, I also know:

1. the percentage of passing examinees has a range of only 2% over the last 5 years (79% - 81%),
2. the threshold for passing is determined after the test is administered, and is chosen to retain consistency (as described above)

I’m not a statistical expert, but these two facts together describe to me a curve with a pre-determined fail rate. It could be true that you are not specifically competing against the other examinees in your year, but for all meaningful intents and purposes, you have to be better than 20% of your peers to pass.

Attachments

• Plot.JPG
    Plot.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 272
  • Explanation.JPG
    Explanation.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
this is a very lengthy review of the different resources available. i think that when you are studying for any test (absite, qe etc) you should remember that everyone is different. i did very well on absites and spanked the qe, despite thinking i had bombed it. the best advice i can give anyone is to spend less time worrying about what you are studying and more time studying something you like. i can give you my study routine which was very successful for me but it may not be what another person likes and therefore wouldn't be of value to them.

whatever you do, remain confident in your preparation and have a plan.

Digitalcascade, thank you very much for this lengthy review, and while everyone has different study habits, this comprehensive explanation should be beneficial to anyone who has failed or is about to take their boards for the first time. You note one thing you did after completion of your training was take the ABSITE. Did you return to your program to take it? How did you pay for your exam? Thanks for any information

Digitalcascade, thank you very much for this lengthy review, and while everyone has different study habits, this comprehensive explanation should be beneficial to anyone who has failed or is about to take their boards for the first time. You note one thing you did after completion of your training was take the ABSITE. Did you return to your program to take it? How did you pay for your exam? Thanks for any information

The hospital I work at has a General Surgery residency, so I asked the Program Director and she arranged it, I didn't pay for anything. Before I left my own residency, I had inquired about it and it sounded like they would have been willing to pay for me to take it there (they have a lot of vested interest in me passing anyway) too.