Written Boards 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
For those of you who have take the WQE fairly recently, how does it compare to the OKAP? Less minutia, more "real world practice" oriented? Or pretty much the same?

Members don't see this ad.

It's been a few years for me, but from what I remember it was fairly similar to OKAP. Maybe slightly less minutia, but but still a lot of "basic science" type questions, definitely would not say that it leans toward "real world practice." The orals do, but the writtens lean to the minutia a bit.

Hey. I took...and failed the WQE in 2004. It was very similar to OKAP. No real world stuff. Total BS. Taking it again tomorrow. You?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I took it Tuesday. Have to agree, its basically like taking the OKAP again, a lot of totally pointless questions that can ultimately fail you. 1st half was pretty brutal and 2nd half pretty easy by comparison. Guess we'll see my fate in 8-10 weeks (right about the time ive finally forgotten about it and am back to enjoying life).

Perfectly stated. First half, I barely finished. Second half, I actually finished ahead of the clock. Most ridiculous question in my opinion: Shown a picture of an MRI. We are not asked to id the lesion. Instead, we are required to know the radiologic technique used by the radiology center, ie-T1, T2 gadollineum. Yeah I know it was coveed at Osler but I paid no attention. Didn't think I needed to know radiology techniques to be a safe ophthalmologist. Heck, I still have no idea how to spell gadolinium?? LOL.