Written Boards Review Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureOph123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am getting ready to take the written boards this March and I was wondering what people thought about the new Chern review book... I always used the Friedman book for OKAPs along with the Chern questions (a new edition is supposedly coming out in March but I think that is too late). The Friedman book was published in 2004 so it would be nice to have a bit of an update. Just curious before I fork out the money and spend the time on a book that hasn't been evaluated too thoroughly. Thanks for the help. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I am getting ready to take the written boards this March and I was wondering what people thought about the new Chern review book... I always used the Friedman book for OKAPs along with the Chern questions (a new edition is supposedly coming out in March but I think that is too late). The Friedman book was published in 2004 so it would be nice to have a bit of an update. Just curious before I fork out the money and spend the time on a book that hasn't been evaluated too thoroughly. Thanks for the help. :D

board exams often lag behind in terms of testing the newest, latest and greatest advances in ophthalmology, thus, going with a good resource like Friedman's despite it being old is just fine. Your basic science books are going to be up as up to date as you need to be if you recently finished residency. A lot of the basics that you are tested on have not changed in many, many years.

Hi everyone,

Friedman is good, Chern is okay, but we feel that our website is / will be the best in terms of board review style questions. We are super proactive in keeping things relevant for the residents and fellows and take all of our feedback (positive or negative) very seriously.

Though it may seem like a lot of self-aggrandizement, I think you would be pleasantly surprised by OQ (www.ophthoquestions.com).

Let us know if you have any questions.

-The OphthoQuestions Team