Wrong place but eh, JD/MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timwat2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I cant really find the place to post this, I hope someone will answer.
Mainly I am interested in hearing from anyone who might have a joint MD/JD (med/law degree), or know anything about the value of one.
I just finished 1 year of law school and realize that med school is where I want to be, but have thought about completing the law school as well. Anyone have any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

I dont really know the answer to your question. But, I have another question for you. How did you come to realize, as you said, that medicine is the thing for you?

I dont really know the answer to your question. But, I have another question for you. How did you come to realize, as you said, that medicine is the thing for you?

There was no blinding flash of light in which a Golden Realization dawned on me, towards which I am now unquestionably committed. These are a few of the reasons I can vocalize:
I started out, and have kept a basic desire (albiet naively spoken) to help people in situations where they are unable to help themselves.
I started college pre-med, and it is the only time I can remember when I felt like it was what I actually WANTED.
After almost failing chem 1, I gave up, but then transferred to another school and took the classes over, and did better. However, my mind had started to get interested in liberal arts by then and that is what I chose to follow (not because I wanted to use it for work, but because I wanted it to be my education, majored in Philosophy and English Lit.)
Since I graduated I have moved all over the map, in terms of both geography and occupation and have been unable to settle. The basic desire to heal, and to be a healer, has stuck with me, but I have given the strong excuses of "too late" and "too much of a commitment" every time my mind started to head that way.
After the year of law school, and after lots of work in law firms, I realize it is not how I would choose to spend the majority of my time for the rest of my days.
I have a break I have to take (for medical reasons ironically) and in it I have the opportunity to reopen the door to medicine, and take a real look and see if I really want it. I am no stranger to hospitals, I am not squeemish in the least, and the idea of being of use at such a fundamental and fundamentally "good" level is exciting to me.
And that is about it. In short, its what I have always been into at some level, I know have the opportunity to explore and flesh it out a little, so Im gonna take it.
And I wanted to know what a law degree medical degree would be used for, and whether that is something I should look into as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I cant really find the place to post this, I hope someone will answer.
Mainly I am interested in hearing from anyone who might have a joint MD/JD (med/law degree), or know anything about the value of one.
I just finished 1 year of law school and realize that med school is where I want to be, but have thought about completing the law school as well. Anyone have any ideas?

You might have more success asking your question in the Non-traditional forum... in fact, you should do a search there as I imagine that the likes of Law2Doc have probably addressed your inquiry in the past. Might be a more productive option - and since you can't post multiple threads across forums, you might save yourself the trouble of getting this thread moved. Maybe PMing Law2Doc is the way to start.

Good :luck:!

-MSTPbound