Wrong profession with many questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trouserz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in kind of a bind. i currently go to a local community college with a major in nursing. I feel i chose the wrong profession and i think that giving direct patient care will be boring for me in the long run. I know that med schools look at candidates favorably if they have breadth of knowledge,(nursing majors do not have too much electoral work)and i would study music and art if i had the time, money to get a BA as well. I was a real ****head in high school and my SATs were terrible (slept during the math portion literally) In college all the sudden I got intrinsically motivated and I have 4.0s for two years straight. I strongly feel that a MD or DO or even a DC as a career will better fit my needs to be challenged. I have several questions:
1. Is there a large discrepancy of difficulty between comm college course work and university level work? i want to take all my premed classes in 2-3 semesters.

2.For any nursing majors with degrees in biology.. how hard is nursing as compared to getting other degrees? eg biochemistry majors generally get murdered while fashion majors generally have it easier. Sometimes at night i find myself memorizing endless #s and signs and sx of diseases and it seems difficult sometimes.

3. What do med schools think of nursing majors?

4. Will nursing research publications count?

5. How autonomous are nps anyway?

6. Is biochem a 1 or half year course?

7. How hard is it to get all a's in music?

8. Am i just wasting my time studying a parallel profession and wanting to switch therefore leaving a desparately short-staffed profession? How will med schools look at that?

Feel free to answer my questions in any order

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am also from a comm college and I am about to grad from Towson U with a degree in Biology in Dec. I can answer of your question but not all:

1. Since you received straight A's you will do fine in a 4-year institution. I received A's and B's at the comm. college and I have had no problem with the sciences. If you put the same amount of effort into the course as with the comm college you will be absolutely
fine.

4. Any research will suffice.

5. It depends on the school, but most schools offer it in a semester format.

Best of luck!

Okay, I don't have tons of answers, but I do have a few comments.

3. I am under the impression that it is difficult to go from nursing to medical school. In the MSAR there is a list of undergrad majors and percentages of how many applicants had that major and applied and how many got in. You should look at this. The nursing and other health care worker acceptance numbers are much lower than any other number. If you are not a practicing nurse, and don't have a BA in nursing it may not matter. Perhaps they want you to really prove why you should make the change, since there is a nursing shortage and everything. You might get a good answer to this question from a pre-med or nursing advisor at your school.

6. It can be either. Depends on the school and how in depth the class is. Lab also varies.

7. You're kidding right? :) Are you a musician? As a drama major (and theater professional) who has finished my post-bacc, I have to tell you that art is not as easy as everyone thinks. In addition to the requirement of talent, the classes take more time than most. You will have to have time for group rehearsals as well as personal practice time. I thought about doing a double major in bio and theater while an undergrad but there was no way I could do both. You should look at the time committments involved and make sure you are majoring in something because you like it, not just because it looks good to adcomms.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
are you a male nurse or female nurse?

is nurse a politically correct word for males these days?

lets make it more masculine and call it Norse

so Norse and nurse...there sounds much better...

1. Opinions vary on this and it also varies by CC system. If you can, take your pre reqs at a University do so. Level of difficulty also varies. My hardest class I ever took was at a CC. So was my easiest. My University classes varied even at the same University.

2. What's hard for one person will be easy for another. That question is hard to answer.

3. Nurses traditionally have a harder time being admitted than other degree programs. I will try to find the site with the stats.

4. Yes.

5. As previously mentioned, this depends on the state. Some more some less. Look around this site for some lively discussions around that issue.

6. Depends on the university. 1 semester at my school

7. Again, this would depend on school I think and how much talent you have.

8. You will have to explain this. I don't believe it will go over well that you are training in nursing at this stage as "a back up plan". If your heart isn't in nursing, you should consider switching majors.

mj

thanks fer some input yes i will be a norse in a few months lol. forr me it isn't pragmatic to restart a major as nursing has soo few electives i would have to basically start over to get a bs or ba plus i can make a little more money as a nurse plus patient care does have some merits..... its just that i cannot spend the rest of my life as a nurse or my brain will be jello and i can't have that can i? **** on usama been crappin