Wrong school name in secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which do I ask to be changed?

• School name

• Yes/No bubble

• Both

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.

premed101010

Reaction score
As the title states, I put the wrong school name into one of my secondaries. It was a diversity essay that only mentioned the school once, without stating anything specific about the school itself (i.e. "I would bring diversity to [SCHOOL NAME].") I emailed the admissions committee to see if it could be unlocked, but this is not an option. Instead, they are allowing me to email what needs to be changed, and they will add it to my application (not sure if this means as an addendum or if they will physically make the change themselves). There is something else I would like to change as well, which was just a Yes/No bubble about my interest in one of the school's programs. Should I only ask this portion to be changed, or would it be worth my while to draw their attention to the wrong school name as well? I am aware of how this looks that I was unable to spend 2 seconds to change the school name/proofread my essay, but I appreciate any input.

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
As the title states, I put the wrong school name into one of my secondaries. It was a diversity essay that only mentioned the school once, without stating anything specific about the school itself (i.e. "I would bring diversity to [SCHOOL NAME].") I emailed the admissions committee to see if it could be unlocked, but this is not an option. Instead, they are allowing me to email what needs to be changed, and they will add it to my application (not sure if this means as an addendum or if they will physically make the change themselves). There is something else I would like to change as well, which was just a Yes/No bubble about my interest in one of the school's programs. Should I only ask this portion to be changed, or would it be worth my while to draw their attention to the wrong school name as well? I am aware of how this looks that I was unable to spend 2 seconds to change the school name/proofread my essay, but I appreciate any input.

I think this is the kind of this that turns off adcom members (literal facepalm when they see mistakes like this). Did you make sure to proofread before sending? :(
I'm not sure if sending a correction would alleviate the issue... it might just emphasize what they will see anyway.

Reactions: 7 users
I suspect your application is already in trouble at that school. In the event that it is not, I would not add insult to injury by suggesting that you want to change your application in other ways too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suspect your application is already in trouble at that school. In the event that it is not, I would not add insult to injury by suggesting that you want to change your application in other ways too.

So are you suggesting not to change the Yes/No bubble either?

Putting the wrong school name is lethal. It is probably not worth the trouble of having them change it.

Reactions: 11 users
I would not change the yes/no bubble. It would add further to the impression that you submitted a half-baked secondary in haste.

I would mentally forget about this school and focus on making sure your other secondaries are perfect.

Reactions: 13 users
On the other hand, leaving the wrong school name will almost certainly get his app put into the reject pile. If OP asks to make the change, there is at least a small chance that they will amend the original. In my view, OP has nothing to lose.

Reactions: 5 users
I’ll be honest with you, if I applied to this school, your chances are absolute 0. Otherwise, I think it’s worth it to email admissions as you’ve got nothing else to lose

Reactions: 2 users
OP, not sure if "lethal", but definitely a huge no-no I would say. Throw along just the school-name addendum and get this school out of your mind & focus on proofreading and perfecting your other secondaries. Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 users
I wouldn't bring up the wrong school name mistake. Bringing it to their attention would make it worse imo. Not only did you notice it, but you failed to change it before you submitted. They've got to sort over thousands of these secondaries, just hope that you weren't the only to make that mistake. It's more common than you'd think. People have gotten interviews despite this mistake, so it won't 100% destroy your chances. Hope for the best, and pray that they overlook it.

In regards to the Yes/No bubble to their program, just mention it in an update if they allow it. More ideally, mention it in the interview if they manage to overlook the hiccup with the name situation.

Reactions: 1 users
Why bring attention to a negative???

Reactions: 1 users