WSU CVM 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Should I be concerned that I didn't get an email? My portal does say that it is under review.
I wouldn't worry if it says all your things are in and you're under review. Did you get a confirmation email at some point? If not, maybe make sure they have the right email for you?

Members don't see this ad.

I just looked through my FB posts from last year and it looks like my portal changed on December 4th (to interview offered), and I got my packet about a week later in the mail. So I guess this year isn't "late in the game" like we thought. I try to be patient but man I hate this waiting!!

Ok thanks for checking!!!

Did you already post your stats on here? I'm finding looking through previous threads that getting in is a crap shoot really. A lot of variability.

Are you WICHE?

I'm still in consideration for WICH from New Mexico. I talked to Barbara and she clarified things for me. I'm interviewing for both WSU and USU with preference at WSU for 4 years. My interview is 2/5. So stoked!

Members don't see this ad :)

Did you already post your stats on here? I'm finding looking through previous threads that getting in is a crap shoot really. A lot of variability.
Keep in mind there are aspects to an application not reflected in posted stats - interviews, quality of letters of recommendation, answers to supplementals, and the personal statement.

Reactions: 1 users
I might have to wait until December?? But I keep telling myself it'll be here sometime November. :scared:
On a more serious note, did you get an email informing you about the portal change for the interview?
Last year no I did not. I just so happened to check it one day and was like omg!!! Then waited for the letter via snail mail! But the portal is different this year....so I think it will update us of new messages/changes

Reactions: 1 user

I did not actually. I got an interview last year then was waitlisted. Umm I'll do the gist of stats real quick.... OOS 25 female, 1st time applicant. 4,000 hours paid vet assistant job at an equine animal surgical and emergency hospital. GPA not great around 3.5, GRE not great around 150s. I think I had really good letters, tons of other experience but all within equine field. Applied as a junior last year, did not have my degree yet nor would I have received it. ....I think this was a huge factor why I was WL'ed bc I had a GREAT interview, then when we reviewed our pre-reqs with Barbara she was like ohhhhhhh you WONT be getting your degree????? I didn't get feedback bc apparently I waited too long (I asked in May), that's bc I was waiting to see if I got plucked off the waitlist! Lol!
Hope this helps!

I wouldn't worry if it says all your things are in and you're under review. Did you get a confirmation email at some point? If not, maybe make sure they have the right email for you?
Just got my email saying that my materials are under review :)

Anyone happen to know what % of applicants WSU interviews?

Anyone happen to know what % of applicants WSU interviews?
A lot. hahaaah sorry I don't know percentage, but they did like 2 weeks of interviews last year everyday, all day...with 2 different interviewer groups at a time. There was a ton of applicants there when I was there for my interview.

A lot. hahaaah sorry I don't know percentage, but they did like 2 weeks of interviews last year everyday, all day...with 2 different interviewer groups at a time. There was a ton of applicants there when I was there for my interview.
Thanks! Good to know.

Question for you all. So WSU runs in via tiers. I wanted clarification on these tiers (sorry that the chart is not aligned properly but I am sure you've all seen it). So my question is, on tier 1 and 2 can you be in either with your best category? i.e. If I have an overall GPA of greater than 3.5 would I be in tier 1 if my science GPA is less than 3.7 and my GRE is less than 74% for instance.

Overall GPA * Science GPA ** GRE% ***
Tier I >3.5or>3.7or>75%
Tier II 3.2-3.5or3.5-3.7or60-74%
Tier III<3.2and<3.5and<59%

Also, is WSU's science GPA all science courses or just the pre-reqs they require that you list? I believe it is the latter from what I read on the page "** Science GPA will include all physical sciences, mathematics, and biological sciences courses (see Prerequisites)." This can make a significant difference if you have many science courses. Thanks all!

Question for you all. So WSU runs in via tiers. I wanted clarification on these tiers (sorry that the chart is not aligned properly but I am sure you've all seen it). So my question is, on tier 1 and 2 can you be in either with your best category? i.e. If I have an overall GPA of greater than 3.5 would I be in tier 1 if my science GPA is less than 3.7 and my GRE is less than 74% for instance.

Overall GPA * Science GPA ** GRE% ***
Tier I >3.5or>3.7or>75%
Tier II 3.2-3.5or3.5-3.7or60-74%
Tier III<3.2and<3.5and<59%
It says and/or for those categories, so it sounds like one will suffice.

Members don't see this ad :)
It says and/or for those categories, so it sounds like one will suffice.
The whole or/and thing trips me up... It can't be that easy you get first tier by excelling at any of the three categories can it? Anyone applied previously and have experience with it?

Just received an interview invite (IS) via email! It also updated my portal. IDK the date yet, but they said I should be getting a letter soon. :)

Anyone else hear some good news?

Yes, me too. I'd say I'm a fairly strong in-state applicant.

nothin here yet... OOS, was interviewed & waitlisted last year, hoping to get another shot this year! :)

nothing here, do they send all invites out at the same time?

Past threads seem to suggest no. Maybe just IS-ers right now, just JFS, another IS-er who posted in official interviews, and I have heard back?

Nothing here yet... Are you all IS getting notifications? Congrats

Nothing here as well. I'm OOS. Maybe it's just IS.
Congrats guys! :D

OOS and nothing over here either. According to last year's thread, OOS people don't hear anything until mid December
:(

Reactions: 4 users
Just heard back from WSU today with my interview invite! Goodluck everyone!

The whole or/and thing trips me up... It can't be that easy you get first tier by excelling at any of the three categories can it? Anyone applied previously and have experience with it?
I had just 2 of them (both GPA requirements) and got an interview/ got in. I'm guessing I was in tier one. So I'm pretty sure (for tier 1) you only have to have one, but if I remember right, tires 2 and 3 you have to meet all 3.

Can anyone explain wsu's grading program to me? How does the lack of gpa work for internships/residencies applications?

Do you guys mind posting what tier you all were in who got an interview? Aka two GPA requirements and GRE score. Still waiting to hear back, OOS.. Good luck to all!

Do you guys mind posting what tier you all were in who got an interview? Aka two GPA requirements and GRE score. Still waiting to hear back, OOS.. Good luck to all!
I was tier 1 across the board.

Good luck, I hope you hear something soon!

Fairly sure I was tier 3 and got an invite (IS). But stellar rest of my application.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I have no idea what I am as I have something in tier1-tier3 lol.

My overall is in tier 1, but the rest is in tier 2. I have a crap ton of hours at an equine hospital (not sure if exp plays a role in the tier), but I am OOS and got an interview last year. My file that Barbara had on her desk when we reviewed my classes, had a Roman numeral 1 on the tab. So I think I was tier 1. It wasn't groups by alphabet or anything bc I'm W. Not sure if that's what it meant or not! But I was around tier 1/tier 2 according to the websites info. :)

My overall is in tier 1, but the rest is in tier 2. I have a crap ton of hours at an equine hospital (not sure if exp plays a role in the tier), but I am OOS and got an interview last year. My file that Barbara had on her desk when we reviewed my classes, had a Roman numeral 1 on the tab. So I think I was tier 1. It wasn't groups by alphabet or anything bc I'm W. Not sure if that's what it meant or not! But I was around tier 1/tier 2 according to the websites info. :)

Did you hear back yet? Or still waiting??

Received my snail mail invitation on Friday. Anyone else interviewing the 21st?

Hope everyone else starts hearing something soon!

I think mine's around 11 as well. I guess I'll see you there then!

Do you happen to know how many IS they invite to interviews? I know they get roughly 150 applications and gave 60 offers per year for instate. They have 2 days of interviews for instaters. If they do 12 hours of interviews a day, that's 24 people per day. So maybe 2 groups of interviewers? Either way, they can't give out that many interview invites.

Oh
Received my snail mail invitation on Friday. Anyone else interviewing the 21st?

Hope everyone else starts hearing something soon!
WSU does snail mail! Good to know :) Here I was checking my portal everyday lol.

Oh

WSU does snail mail! Good to know :) Here I was checking my portal everyday lol.

I got an email last Tuesday, then snail mail details on Friday. Which I thought was standard.

Do you happen to know how many IS they invite to interviews? I know they get roughly 150 applications and gave 60 offers per year for instate. They have 2 days of interviews for instaters. If they do 12 hours of interviews a day, that's 24 people per day. So maybe 2 groups of interviewers? Either way, they can't give out that many interview invites.
I think they have at least 2 groups of interviewers, since it looks like our interview times overlap.
I was told by a WSU recruiter that for IS, they accept >50% of IS-ers interviewed, but that was a few years ago and I wasn't told the approximate # of interview invites.

Did you hear back yet? Or still waiting??
Not yet for this year! I'm OOS it seems like only IS got invites so far for this year!

And yes, last year they had 2-3 interviews going at a time.

Not yet for this year! I'm OOS it seems like only IS got invites so far for this year!

And yes, last year they had 2-3 interviews going at a time.
Hopefully we will hear soon!

I got my paper letter too, scheduled for morning Jan 21.

I'm told there are several interviews concurrently. My off-the-cuff guess from looking at the acceptance rate for WA students and a bit of reasoning is that they probably do take around half or slightly more of in-state interviewees. I further suspect that they have a good idea of who they are going to take prior to the interviews and unless you come off like a total dunce the interview probably don't grossly affect your chances.

From the timelines for the interviews, I highly doubt they have sent out any out-of-state interview requests yet so I wouldn't worry for folks in that box.

On the other hand, if I were an in-state student who hadn't been notified of an interview yet I'd probably be moderately concerned, though it is entirely possible they'll do another round in coming weeks -- Jan 20 is a long way away still.

I don't know why so many people have confusion with the Tier classifications, as it is actually extremely clear on WSU's criteria website. How did y'all get through your stat & prob prerequisite without learning about the distinction between logic and/or?

I got my paper letter too, scheduled for morning Jan 21.

I'm told there are several interviews concurrently. My off-the-cuff guess from looking at the acceptance rate for WA students and a bit of reasoning is that they probably do take around half or slightly more of in-state interviewees. I further suspect that they have a good idea of who they are going to take prior to the interviews and unless you come off like a total dunce the interview probably don't grossly affect your chances.

From the timelines for the interviews, I highly doubt they have sent out any out-of-state interview requests yet so I wouldn't worry for folks in that box.

On the other hand, if I were an in-state student who hadn't been notified of an interview yet I'd probably be moderately concerned, though it is entirely possible they'll do another round in coming weeks -- Jan 20 is a long way away still.

I don't know why so many people have confusion with the Tier classifications, as it is actually extremely clear on WSU's criteria website. How did y'all get through your stat & prob prerequisite without learning about the distinction between logic and/or?
I honestly didn't look at the website and see the and/or, well maybe I did last year....but just look up above in the thread when it was posted. But I think people were just wondering, and just wanted to see who got interviews...maybe even based on which gpa or which cateogory got them into which tier, for example if people were in tier 1 because of their science did they get an interview...or bc of overall? (And yes I know it doesn't matter which one but maybe they were just curious!) or maybe they wanted to see if anyone who only has ONE of the tier 1 GPAs still got and interview.... So yeah I'm sure everyone is smart and got through their stats classes just fine, but your talking about people who are highly anxious and prob aren't reading everything super thoroughly and just looking at numbers. No need to call them out on it or ask how they can't possibly understand it. Everyone's just trying to pass the time right now! So easy does it friend! ;) lol!! Of course everyone is gonna over analyze everything what else are we supposed to do right now?? Lol! We're all crackin' a little! :) hehehe

Reactions: 5 users
OOS, first time applicant, still waiting!! Hope we all hear soon!

I have one piece of advice to everyone... Relax a bit and stop worrying about the damn tiers! What will happen to your app will happen anyway. Time will go by faster if you distract yourself. Trust me! You'll have plenty of time to stress when you are in vet school! Good luck on finals to the undergrads!

Reactions: 2 users
Just to throw a wrench into the mix...I was tier 1 for all three categories and was flat out rejected.

Just to throw a wrench into the mix...I was tier 1 for all three categories and was flat out rejected.

For sure. With ~2000 applicants or so for ~100 positions I'm sure once you crunch the numbers they reject a majority of "Tier 1" applicants. I'm still skeptical the tiers are all that meaningful.

When, this round?

No, he/she is halfway through the vet program at OSU, from the profile :)