WU/COMP 2006 Forms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CADO2B

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just curious as to what you guys have received from the school in terms of forms and stuff to be filled out and sent back. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Nada. :confused: Personally, I'm becoming a little concerned because I want to apply to ISAC which begins around 2nd week of June.

That probably seems like far off but it's really not with regards to my time table for moving to Cali etc.

C'mon postman bring me something.... :mad:

hey u can post a e-mail to [email protected] (Rafi Younoszai) , he's the head of the ISAC.....see ya....starts june 14th by the way

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone tell me how long is the ISAC program? And the cost?

How about the other anatomy program....when does that start?

Thanks
Anniejojo

I talked with the admin. about the summer anatomy class, and they said that the school decides which person will be allowed to enroll. Usually the nonscience people get first dibs. I'm nonscience, but I don't think they'll give it to me for some reason.

Well that's good forms haven't been sent out yet, because I felt like I was being neglected.

Please keep on posting as I will too. Thanks everyone.

I'm hazarding to guess that they'll be sent out in May or June as we near school. My two cents anyway. Great to be able to talk to some of my future class mates. Take care.

H-townComp: So it is okay to contact him? Is that what you did? Since you know the precise date does that mean that you have been selected? What's Rafi Younoszai's title? D.O., Ph.D?? I want to make sure I address him properly.

Anniejojo: According to the paper I got at my interview, ISAC is 6.5 weeks long. They say it is for highly qualified students with a strong anatomy background ( but that's about all they say about it). It doesn't indicate the cost but basically I think you are considered as simply starting med school early and so you just start the financial aid process earlier so your funds will be available at the start of the course.

Anyone else know?

The SAPP (Summer Anatomy Prep Program)according to their catalog at their website •••quote:••• is designed for students not having prior coursework in human anatomy. A separate tuition of $300 is
charged for this program. It is 3 weeks long (It doesn't say when it starts :confused: ).
••••CADO2B: When you say the "school decides which person will be allowed to enroll", are you meaning it's by invitation only?

From my understanding and from the way the lady in the admininstration put it, I believe it is by invitation only. But don't quote me on it.

It shouldn't be a big deal to start anatomy early, though it would be nice. At least get one class out of the way, eh?

Just some quick clarification...

SAPP is open to anyone...and is a 3 week program..which last year ran from I believe the third week of July till the 1st week of August...with a week off before classes and orientation

ISAC is a 6-6 1/2 week program which covers 1st semester anatomy...excluding Head and Neck section, which is done with the rest of your class in January. It is INTENSIVE, and if you do not successfully pass...you will need to repeat the course with the rest of your imcoming class in August. We had more than a few students that failed ISAC and had to retake anatomy with us....

If you have an anatomy background...and memorize quickly..it is a good program...I believe it is offered to certain people...but open to all.

You must consider the idea of spending you last summer before medical school taking a crazy crash course...potentially not doing well..and having to retake it in August all over again.

It is offered to people with "sufficient" backgrounds that the school believes has the background to succeede.

I did SAPP..met a bunch of classmates...I believe there were ~30 of us...and had 3 weeks of 8-5pm prep for returning to school....which helped as I had no previous exposure to anatomy and cadavers.

In response to the Dr.Younoszai question, he is a PhD., and I am sure you can e-mail him if you are interested.

As far as SAPP...they take a while to notify you about the program...as I was jumpy to hear from the school myself....but I have never heard of it filling up, or people not being able to get in.

Best of luck to all of you.....Enjoy your free time now.....becuase soon it will gone

BELIEVE ME!!!!

Thanks Yosh. Was I right in stating that paying for the cost of the class will come via one's financial aid package? In other words, you apply for your loans early which gives you the funds for the class and the first semester/first year all at the same time?

Hey COMP bound,

I think ur question has been answered by Yosh about his Title, I just addressed him with Dr. (couldn't go wrong)...anyways, no haven't been selected, they will mail out soon i think.....i think ur free to e-mail him and find out any updated info......Another person who is quite helpful [email protected] (Beverly Guidry), don't know her title? okay see ya........

Cool. :cool: Thanks H-town. Let us know when you get your package--we'll do likewise. :)

Doh.. I had written out a long reply, but apparently the connection died. Well, here goes again...

I wrote about ISAC before, but that thread is probably long gone so I thought I'd give a little input to help give you guys an idea of what ISAC was like. Yosh was right about a lot of it and he knows a lot more about SAPP than I do.

As far as getting apps for ISAC, I got the feeling (but never confirmed) they sent out applications to incoming students who had certain "numbers". I don't know if anyone who applied was rejected from the course, but we didn't have as many students as the years before. Although they mention needing previous anatomy experience, they were a few of us (including me) who had never taken anatomy before and most of us did fine without it. I admit that a little anatomy experience probably helps in the beginning, but the course really takes off and no one had taken anatomy in such depth or learned it at such a rapid rate. Definitely talk to Dr. Younoszai (they will probably give you his contact phone # in a mailing regarding ISAC closer to the summer) if you are interested because he can give a good sense for the course. If you have a lot of time to spare during the summer that you would be otherwise wasting, ISAC might be just the ticket as well... as you won't be able to do much during those six weeks.

The ISAC course is six weeks, divided into three 2-week segments (paralleling the fall anatomy course which is three segments).. every two weeks you have a written and a practical exam to take. It definitely helps prepare you for the pace of medical school as it is probably faster than the average med school study day so that was another side-benefit as well as just getting used to the school and getting settled in.. meeting new classmates in an intimate learning environment, etc.

There are other benefits as well.. scoring an 80 or above allows you to become a facilitator during the fall semester anatomy course. This gives you bonus points, the advantage of not having to take anatomy exams during the fall, and a few other things. Being a facilitator does take time.. but it sort of varied on how dedicated certain facilitators were to their classmates and the task at hand. Scoring a 70-79 allows one the choice of 1) keeping your summer written exam scores and just retaking the three practical exams during the fall semester (saves you time that would be spent studying for the written exams during the fall, etc.) or 2) you can retake the entire course again.. which is what would automatically happen if you don't get above a 70. From what I remember, there were very very few ISAC'ers who didn't pass.. and the ones who ended up taking the course again during the fall probably did much better as they have had exposure to the material and dissection previously. One thing i didn't mention was that students don't get to have the chance of dissecting multiple bodies, so ISAC gives you a chance to dissect two bodies.. a bonus for those who might enjoy it or want to learn the anatomy even better. I know that I've seen students on rotations come back to the gross lab and look pretty excited because they actually got to pick around the cadavers again.

I probably left some stuff out but if you have any more questions we'll be glad to try and answer them.

Dean Guidry's title is Dean of Student Affairs for the entire Western U. campus I think. She is an extremely nice lady, but I think for more specific questions she might end up referring you to someone else who could better answer certain questions.

Alot of great info. thanks, Melancholy.........

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, thanks Melancholy. Very informative.

I did write to Dr. Younoszai and this was his reply:

Dear Ms. Clark,
I am in the process of looking at the applicants that have been accepted at COMP.I will review your file,and if you meet the basic requirements,I will place you on the list of students to recieve an application for the ISAC.You have, at least, one of the
requirecents of having completed a course in anatomy. Thank you for your interest in the ISAC.,

Sincerely,
Rafi Younoszai Ph.D.

How should I take this (in that you know him), is this reply a good, not so good, or a neutral reply?

Wow, well at least you got a reply :) I'm still waiting.

you should be fine...I have never heard of people applying to ISAC and not being accepted..as long as your grades and MCAT are within normal averages...

Just relax...school will give you PLENTY to stress about....BELIEVE ME!!!!!

It will all come soon enough...COMP is just a little slow with replies sometimes

Hey CADO2B - It took him a while to answer. I believe that it is just like Yosh says....they seem to be busy. I'm sure he'll reply soon.

Thanks Yosh, for the encouragement. I hope I don't sound too anxious. It's just that whether I do get ISAC or not plays into plans that I must decide on now....when I move to Cali, when I go to Europe, when I resign my research position at UT etc.

Thanks again for sharing your experience & knowledge. :clap:

I hear ya....believe me...I rememeber the anxiety if trying to figure what my plans were and what was happening....

Just keep on the school...and make sure you get what you need...

Check with them periodically...they made me crazy too!!!

thanks you guys, I know that I made the right decision in picking COMP. You all are an excellent support group. go COMP! :)

Hey, anybody get any further info on ISAC? Anybody receive any correspondence at all--financial aid????

CADO2B, Did Dr. "Y" get back to you yet?

Hi guys,
Dr. Younoszai is in Cuba for the week of our spring break (approximately Mar. 18-22) so if he doesn't respond to you this week, you'll know why.. and if he DOES respond, hmmm. :) Anyway, I think getting a response is good, but I think as Yosh mentioned, if your numbers are somewhere around a certain range, you'll get an application either way. I forget if I mentioned it, but last year we only had maybe 30 at the most enter ISAC whereas in previous years they probably had more people.. around the 40 range.. so I have a feeling Dr. Younoszai would want more people applying as that would hopefully amount to more facilitators during the fall semester to help out all their classmates. :wink:

Nope, I haven't gotten anything yet from Dr. "Y". Oh well, patience is a virtue I guess. COMP is slow to mail me things I had to ask for immunization forms and stuff. But that's ok too :) go COMP!

Just keeping this thread up here.. regarding information about the ISAC summer anatomy program at COMP.

I am just happy to say Gross Anatomy is over...and I WILL NEVER HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN!

Ugghhhhh!!!!!!!

I am anatomically ******ED!

Hey, anybody get any further info on ISAC? Anybody receive any correspondence at all--financial aid????

I haven't received anything yet either. I'll be taking a trip down this week to find housing so I hope I can get some questions answered then. Were they going to let us know about ISAC by the 15th or do you think that they will mail letters out ON the 15th? I guess it doesn't matter much to me, since I'll be down there and I can find out in person.

Has anyone else thought about health insurance? Will you just be doing the major medical plan offered by the school?

COMP Bound, I called financial aid, and award letters start going out next week at the EARLIEST. That is, if you turned in your stuff the first week of January, you'll get something by next week (one would hope).

In terms of medical insurance, I'd go with something like Kaiser Perm. I know it's not the most popular and choicest of them, but it's affordable for students like me and it covers hospitalization if in case you get hurt *Knock* (on wood).

Anyway, go COMP!

I just got something from SAP, but not ISAC. Did anyone get something from ISAC? Just curious. I want credit for the real thing, not just a prep class :)

Hi CADO2B!

Thanks for the tip on insurance, I'll check out K.P. and see what I can find.

What did you receive from SAP? I was going to call today and find out about ISAC, but I figured I'll be down there in a few days so I'll pester when I get there. :D

My daughter received the ISAC application form about three weeks ago. Since she already decided not to attend COMP, she did not fill it out.

If you still have not heard anything about ISAC, I would suggest that you contact COMP. I believe they send application form to those who meet a certain cut off points.

Good luck to all, and hope you enjoy ISAC.

Hey Laloz,

I just received the application for the summer prep course. You can contact Dr. Jonathan Leo (I think that's who it is, I don't have the form in front of me) to get info. :)

Yup, its Dr. Leo...he interviewed me :)

Awesome guy!!

Careofme

Careofme- You had Dr. Leo interview you? He is definitely one of the strengths of our overall program.. a great anatomy professor and he coordinates the neurosensory systems course. I'm glad you had the chance to meet him!

Thanks CADO. I'll be on the lookout.

Anyone else receive anything on ISAC?

Melancholy -

I know!! I think he's a great guy and thats from only 15 minutes!

What year are you? Would you be willing to answer some questions for me...I'm have some anxiety about WU/COMP...

Careofme

Careofme- I'd be happy to attempt to answer any questions or concerns you have. I'm currently a first year student and I'm sure any of my fellow classmates on SDN as well as other COMP students would be happy to answer your questions... just e-mail me if you'd like.

I just returned from a 'fact finding' trip to WesternU... I guess Financial Aid stuff will be mailed out in 3 weeks or so. This makes me a little nervous since I will be doing ISAC and the timing seems a little close, but I guess I'm not the only one in this situation. Will anyone else be doing ISAC??? I'm getting excited and at the same time, feeling kind of weird... I've been planning for this for so long and now that it is here it's odd... no words to describe it!

People in the Student Affairs Office (or whatever it is called... the place that has information about housing) were very negative when it came to The Plaza. I didn't think it was that bad... of course, as I was talking to the manager someone came to complain that his car had been broken into, but hey that can happen anywhere! :) I found an apartment about 3 miles away but the bus is easy so I think that's what I'll do.

Laloz,

You might want to check out the crime statistics for Pomona (I believe The Plaza is in Pomona)...perhaps thats why they were so negative about The Plaza (and the fact that Auto Insurance is probably going to spike like crazy!).

Careofme

Did anyone receive a packet from the financial aid office? I got a packet, but it contained a newsletter and a form for finding a roommate, that was all. I will also be doing ISAC. I also checked out the Plaza last Saturday, but I thought it was kinda loud. I think I'd rather commute 20 miles from home.

Hi guys...I posted this on another forum for 2006 Compers...so I cut and paste this...I hope this helps :)

Hi Class of 2006,
I am an MSI (soon to be MSII) and wanted to let you guys know about the SAPP program this summer. You should've gotten something in the mail about it a few weeks ago. It's different from ISAC.
It's a Summer Anatomy Prep Program run by Dr. Jonathan Leo and TA's. I took it last summer and it was the best thing I did in preparation for anatomy. Although some of you may have taken anatomy in undergrad, med school anatomy is very different. Dr. Leo lectures on important clinical points that will be covered throughout Gross Anatomy (and on the boards). It's also a chance to meet some of your future fellow classmates!
Dr. Leo is by far the BEST PROFESSOR here and if you have the chance to listen to him, I highly suggest it. Ask any MSI or MSII. I know alot of you really want to relax the summer before your first year, but I talked to so many MSI's (post anatomy) who had wished they had taken SAPP. Yeah, it is 3 weeks of anatomy, but I'm telling you, it's so worth it!
If you have any questions, I'll be happy to reply. I think I am going to be one of the TA's for SAPP this summer.
FYI-The dates for SAPP are July 1st - July 24th (or 25th). I think we start classes August 12th (MSI's start the Thurs before for orientation) so you'll still have time to relax before classes begin.

:clap:

Hey Careofme,

I haven't looked up crime stats (yet) but I agree that is probably one reason why WU discourages students from going there. (As part of the application process they fingerprint you at the Plaza! Is this normal for Southern CA or is this just a further indication of crime?) I also got the impression that they really "like" students, if you know what I mean... they see students as an easy way to make a buck. Maybe this is completely not true, but that was my feeling.

Rickmyster78: I too received the packet from Financial Aid, which really didn't contain any information about Financial Aid. Yesterday I spoke with the FA office and they said that they will be mailing out the real Financial Aid packets in 3 weeks.

Oh yah, it looks like a move to Pomona is going to hit my car insurance... $600 more a year!

Just wanted to let you know that some of the ISAC facilitators/members from this past summer will be making phone calls to students (I don't know how many will get called because there might not be enough manpower.. this is purely informational I think) next week to give them more information about ISAC. I don't know the specifics, but hey.. it'd give a chance for a few of us to answer your questions in case you get a call tonight.

**Update: Sorry that I preliminarily stated that they'd be calling tonight. For whatever reason, they cancelled calling folks this afternoon at the last minute in order to switch it to a different date/time NEXT week where more ISAC folks would be available to help out calling. Sorry if this caused any inconveniences.

Ok.. I talked to Dr. Younoszai today and it seems like he has about 30 students for perhaps 40 spots in ISAC, so I think the point of calling around was to get a few more people to sign up. They'll probably call around for interested applicants next week around either noonish or 5pm Pacific Time (this is just a guess.. nothing is definite and it depends on how many people they get to call to and who they will end up calling). I actually had to bring up calling around 5pm since I know some of you will still be at work during lunch time.

It sounds like he sees quite a few capable applicants who have already signed up for ISAC.. people with previous anatomy experience and decent numbers which is a good thing because the more of you guys that can make facilitator, the better for you and for your future class! Just remember that you don't have to have previous anatomy experience to do well in this class, but it is grueling to say the least.

**I wanted to make a slight correction regarding if you receive between a 70-79 during the ISAC course and decide to just retake the lab portion of the course rather than the entire course (both written and lab). Instead of the new lab practical grades replacing the summer practical grades, the new lab grades will count as 25% of your grade... so basically what I am saying is that they don't completely replace your old lab grades as I previous thought, but they can help raise your overall grade if you do a good job. (It will be difficult to get an A although feasible.. but you can get a pretty good B out of it I think with hard work)