WUSTL PM&R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DermViser

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is WashU's PM&R program highly regarded? They're affiliated with a top tier medical school but their roster is filled with IMGs and is under their Neurology dept.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about their program--I just never had any interest in going to St Louis so I never even looked into their program, but what I do know is there are a lot of PM&R programs that are far stronger than their name would suggest, and there are a lot of PM&R programs that are not as good as (sometimes nowhere near as good as) their name would suggest.

In general, I think the affiliation with a top-tier medical school doesn't have a a very strong correlation to the quality of the program--at least not as much as most other residency programs (though this is even more the case with EM and FM, which tend to be strongest when they're unopposed programs).

University of Washington, RIC (Northwestern), Mayo, Spaulding (Harvard), and UofM are all very highly regarded (ie., the top) PM&R programs at very highly regarded medical schools. But there are an at least equal number of PM&R programs at just as reputable of medical schools with programs that range from sub-par to just above average.

Is this a curiosity question? Because based on your username I'm assuming you're applying to/matched into derm.

Take this with a large grain of salt, but I applied there back in the day and was not impressed at all. During my first faculty interview, I asked what drew her there and she said, "I was FMG...I did not have a choice". The residents were all very nice and no one said they had a hard time finding A job after training, but it wasn't necessarily what or where they wanted to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Prather is good. program is not

I don't know about their program--I just never had any interest in going to St Louis so I never even looked into their program, but what I do know is there are a lot of PM&R programs that are far stronger than their name would suggest, and there are a lot of PM&R programs that are not as good as (sometimes nowhere near as good as) their name would suggest.

In general, I think the affiliation with a top-tier medical school doesn't have a a very strong correlation to the quality of the program--at least not as much as most other residency programs (though this is even more the case with EM and FM, which tend to be strongest when they're unopposed programs).

University of Washington, RIC (Northwestern), Mayo, Spaulding (Harvard), and UofM are all very highly regarded (ie., the top) PM&R programs at very highly regarded medical schools. But there are an at least equal number of PM&R programs at just as reputable of medical schools with programs that range from sub-par to just above average.

Is this a curiosity question? Because based on your username I'm assuming you're applying to/matched into derm.
Curiosity question. As UPenn also has a PM&R program yet never hear about it much.

Take this with a large grain of salt, but I applied there back in the day and was not impressed at all. During my first faculty interview, I asked what drew her there and she said, "I was FMG...I did not have a choice". The residents were all very nice and no one said they had a hard time finding A job after training, but it wasn't necessarily what or where they wanted to be.
:eek::eek::eek: I'm curious what they wanted to go into? IM/FM? PM&R is a much better deal.

Curiosity question. As UPenn also has a PM&R program yet never hear about it much.

There are a lot of programs like that, from big name universities, that you don't hear much about (or not as much as you would expect). I didn't feel UPenn was a good fit for me (I also really didn't like Phili, and the rehab hospital is right in the middle of it...) I do however, believe UPenn is on the upswing--their new chair really did wonders at MCW, so I think there's a good chance you'll start hearing more about UPenn in the coming years. Whether it can really complete with Temple and Jefferson is yet to be seen. Stanford is in a similar situation--it used to be an average program (or maybe below-average, depending on who you ask) but now is a quite solid program that I think has the potential to become one of the top 10 programs.