WV CRNA sued for negligence!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Shoulda known better than to trust a guy named Wetzel.

Although I have heard he makes excellent pretzels.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Mirror Todd signature: What is best in life?

Reactions: 1 user
Judging by patients obituary picture. Her BMI looked like it was in the 50 plus range. Just a simple google search u can see her pic. I can see how he lost the airway and couldn’t get it back in.

First off, it’s a lithotripsy. LMA? You really need a tube for a litho? And if she is so big and can’t be incubated why not throw in a short-acting spinal? Or why not an awake fiberoptic? Oh wait, because you don’t do spinals and you can’t think outside the box. And how do you miss an inadvertent extubation? So many things wrong here and so many questions.

First off, it’s a lithotripsy. LMA? You really need a tube for a litho? And if she is so big and can’t be incubated why not throw in a short-acting spinal? Or why not an awake fiberoptic? Oh wait, because you don’t do spinals and you can’t think outside the box. And how do you miss an inadvertent extubation? So many things wrong here and so many questions.

lol just had a lithotripsy that i tubed! i think it was for the best though

I was working with a litho tech the other day. He said with their new machine, people in Asia and Europe are getting lithotripsy with lidocaine cream applied to the skin and no anesthesia. I guess local and sedation is sometimes used here too.

Last edited:
I always thought the sufenta only spinals they did at the VA for ESWLs was a cool approach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well clearly the CRNA can't be held accountable because, according to the article, she died nearly a year before the procedure...

"According to the complaint, Robert Pine alleges that on Dec. 5, 2016, the defendants provided anesthesia to Sharon Pine for a lithotripsy procedure, a treatment typically using ultrasound shock waves. As a result of the defendants' negligent acts and omissions, she became unresponsive and her pupils were fixed and dilated. She died on Dec. 8, 2015, after suffering from anoxic brain injury."

Reactions: 1 users
I was working with a litho tech the other day. He said with their new machine, people in Asia and Europe are getting lithotripsy with lidocaine cream applied to the skin and no anesthesia. I guess local and sedation is sometimes used here too.
I've not done a case since residency.

Reactions: 1 users