WV + Pharmacists who cant recognize stroke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

And if anyone can pull up the study mentioned in the article (I dont have access to journals anymore), I'll be grateful. Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what's the acronym for stroke recognition again?

"FAST"

But seriously, knowing the acronym is different than being able to diff diag. I love how they teach us how s3s4 sounds, but when it's time to do the PE labs, we all just BS'ed.
 
I love how the last statement in the article basically says "pharmacists said they were smart, so we set out to prove them wrong, and we won"
 
Yay, I had the right answer.

Something I've noticed is that patients hate being told to go to the ER or seek emergency help. This one lady called up one time asking what should she do since she accidentally gave her kid, a 2 year old expired pill for ADD or ADHD, I forget what the pill was called.

Pharmacist told me to tell her to take her kid to the ER since he could have a stroke, ended up arguing with her for 5 minutes about the ER (she kept saying, is there anything else?"). So then I just gave the phone to the pharmacist who had the same exact conversation, that call took 20 minutes.

We should have just said, get him to an ER stat and hung up.
 
We know S3 and S4 sounds but seriously... we are not trained to hear them. For example, we know the criterias for S3 and when it is normal (growing adolesants), and to watch out for CHF, etc... but even if a physician tells us that it is there, we probably will miss it.

Heck, we had a simulation... and the computer was telling us when to hear for it and half my class didnt get it.
 
Do they even teach nurses about heart sounds and what they mean? That would surprise me.

Usually they know the difference between abnormal and normal heart sound and just notify the doc, if they're floor nurses...

Intensive care nurses are suppose to know this though.

IE nurse video: [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge12P7u0aQo[/YOUTUBE]
 
They really teach you guys to hear S3 and S4? Murmurs? How often after you get your PharmD do you ever whip out the stethoscope?

yes they do, at least at ohio state. We are taught auscultation, percussion, palpation, occular/otic, HEENT, read x-rays... what's normal, what's abnoraml, blah blah blah At the end of the quarter, we have a practical exam, including doing PE on 2 real vulenteer patients.

I think everyone BS'ed writing up reports for the 2 patients. I just went through the motions/techniques and wrote that I found no abnormalities. :meanie:
 
yes they do, at least at ohio state. We are taught auscultation, percussion, palpation, occular/otic, HEENT, read x-rays... what's normal, what's abnoraml, blah blah blah At the end of the quarter, we have a practical exam, including doing PE on 2 real vulenteer patients.

I think everyone BS'ed writing up reports for the 2 patients. I just went through the motions/techniques and wrote that I found no abnormalities. :meanie:

Same at Creighton. And you may whip out your stethoscope during MTM.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
WVU actually has one of those classes, too. Complete with electronic dummy that makes fake heart sounds. It's actually a useful class though because it incorporated a nice, comprehensive primer on how to use/interpret lab data right before you went off to rotations. Or in my case, right before I sat on my ass for a year doing nothing for no good reason...
 
So is it typical to get just a semester of H&P type stuff?

It's weird they have that in the curricula since I've never heard of a pharmacist doing anything like that in the hospital. Of course I've never worked in a hospital yet so what do I know?
 
So is it typical to get just a semester of H&P type stuff?

It's weird they have that in the curricula since I've never heard of a pharmacist doing anything like that in the hospital. Of course I've never worked in a hospital yet so what do I know?

I was at a pharmacist run, outpatient anticoag clinic for an IPPE rotation and the pharmacist took a blood pressure and did a quick heart exam a few times while I was there, not every patient though. In the IHS it may be a more common thing if you are one of the few people running a clinic. Defintely not the norm like you said though.
 
In the new study, WVU researchers called 71 pharmacies, posing as persons asking about a 68-year-old mother who was having trouble talking and experiencing paralysis on her left side. Four of five pharmacies gave out incorrect information, failing to urge the caller to seek immediate emergency help.


Seriously?!?!

Even your worst, stuck in hell doing 500 prescriptions by yourself, crappy CVS/Walgreens prescription factory pharmacist should have known what to do. I find this hard to believe.


I would like to see a similar study, substituting receptionists and office nurses for pharmacists. I think that Dr. Whiteman would be unimpressed at the results that come out of doctor's offices.

Unimpressed would be the mildest term they would use. After 15 minutes of being put on hold, hung up on and transfered to 5 different voice mails they would give up, score 0 out of 5..
 
Hey, I've got a GREAT idea for this guy's next study. How about WVU ED physicians that send a girl with bacterial meningitis home with only painkillers after a brilliant misdiagnosis.

And as a fun side-story....the *******es that used the crash cart on that girl took it straight to the pharmacy before they took it to central. So...yes...a crash cart covered with God knows what from a quarantined patient's room sat in the pharmacy for hours because they "forgot" to tell them it had yet to be sterilized. Perhaps after the above study, they could do a study on the potential public health risks of such activity.

I know like 30 people that work at WVUH...they always have examples of something idiotic that happened to tell me...