WVSOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got the e-mail that they received my AACOMAS, does anyone know how long it takes for them to decide if I will be getting a secondary/interview?

Will they wait till after my mcat retake to decide?

Members don't see this ad :)
My page says "decision deferred". What does this mean? Does it mean that they have reviewed my application already and are not going to give me an interview at this time? Or does it mean that they haven't received everything yet?

My page says "decision deferred". What does this mean? Does it mean that they have reviewed my application already and are not going to give me an interview at this time? Or does it mean that they haven't received everything yet?

it means that they are still waiting on stuff, I got an e-mail today explaining stuff today, so figure out what you're missing and get it in.

Also, do we not send in letters unless we are selected for an interview?

Hello, I submitted my primary on June 1st and like 3 days ago I got an email from them about the secondary. The cool thing thought is that you do not have to feel the secondary out unless you are selected for an interview, so you could possibly save some cash there. Nice to know one place might actually be looking to save us some money. Oh, and I am retaking the MCAT so I do not think they are waiting for new scores. Good Luck!!!

oh wow, an interview invite already? did they say when that was going to be, or just to submit the secondary and wait till u hear from them?

oh wow, an interview invite already? did they say when that was going to be, or just to submit the secondary and wait till u hear from them?

I'm glad to hear this. I was afraid that it was just a nice way of saying that they were rejecting me already. ha ha

Greetings, folks. My wife was accepted to WVSOM for the 09-10 application cycle and she found the SDN forums very helpful. To pay it forward, I've decided to try and help answer any questions about the school that any potential applicants might have, so feel free to ask away.

This school is in my top 3. The staff are extraordinarily helpful. Facilities are top notch. My decision is pending! Hoping for the best :luck:

is it possible to pay is state tuition after the first year, once you move into wv ?

I am just randomly posting about how cool it is that they aren't making us submit a secondary application unless we are selected for an interview.

This is saving us all $50 dollars and saves us the time of writing up a bunch of essays. :thumbup:. WVSOM is already one of my favorite schools now.

Members don't see this ad :)
is it possible to pay is state tuition after the first year, once you move into wv ?

I doubt it. Everyone could do that then, as most of their students probably moved to WV as soon as their class got started.

just letting you guys know that if you're "decision deferred" don't worry about it. they said at this point the committee hasn't even begun to review files and that computer is catching things such as misdemeanors, missing materials, etc and classifying those applications as "decision deferred". so don't sweat it yet. the committee is going to start reviewing files in the next couple of weeks.

I submitted my app on Friday, June 25, 2010. Does anyone know when I might here something from WVSOM?

I doubt it. Everyone could do that then, as most of their students probably moved to WV as soon as their class got started.

It is possible, but you have to go through a very lengthy process. At the open house they said that people can be eligible for in state tuition if they move to WV at least one year prior to applying.

I submitted my app on Friday, June 25, 2010. Does anyone know when I might here something from WVSOM?

I submitted mine June 1st and i'm waiting as well. Reading through last years thread is seems like people were getting interview invites near the end of July.

Just because your app is in doesn't mean you will get an immediate response. Give them some time. Last year they had only just reached the half-way mark in terms of applicants accepted in January, so just because you don't have a Fall interview doesn't mean you won't get accepted.

WVSOM gets over 3000 applications a year. They interview around 500-600. They accept roughly 350 of those, and of those 350, roughly 200 matriculate. There are no "fixed number of spots". If you get an interview, your chances are better than 50/50.

The nice thing about WVSOM is they won't ask you for the supplimental/secondary application and fee without giving you an interview.

Just because your app is in doesn't mean you will get an immediate response. Give them some time. Last year they had only just reached the half-way mark in terms of applicants accepted in January, so just because you don't have a Fall interview doesn't mean you won't get accepted.

WVSOM gets over 3000 applications a year. They interview around 500-600. They accept roughly 350 of those, and of those 350, roughly 200 matriculate. There are no "fixed number of spots". If you get an interview, your chances are better than 50/50.

The nice thing about WVSOM is they won't ask you for the supplimental/secondary application and fee without giving you an interview.
I wasn't expecting an immediate response. I was just curious of when to expect an email.

I summited my AACOMAS app in July last year, got a notification from them saying they received it in October. I got my interview invite and secondary app in December, had my interview in January. If you get an invite to this school you have a very good chance of being accepted. And the good thing is, you wait about a week to find out if you are accepted, denied, or waitlisted through your online account. I don't think they start interviewing until Oct, but I could be wrong.

I honestly can't wait to get started. The school and people are unbelievable. You'll love it!

Unfortunately NO, and you also will not be considered an "in-state" after you attend for the first year. This is a decision not by WVSOM but by the State Higher Ed department. So if you are out of state you will remain out of state for tuition purposes. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, aspiringOSTEO. What's your stat if you don't mind me asking?

Hello, I submitted my primary on June 1st and like 3 days ago I got an email from them about the secondary. The cool thing thought is that you do not have to feel the secondary out unless you are selected for an interview, so you could possibly save some cash there. Nice to know one place might actually be looking to save us some money. Oh, and I am retaking the MCAT so I do not think they are waiting for new scores. Good Luck!!!

hockey doc, i got the decision deferred email today as well.

hopefully cliffhux (above) is right. i'm believing cliff for now. i would be surprised if committees are reviewing applications in july.

hockey doc, i got the decision deferred email today as well.

hopefully cliffhux (above) is right. i'm believing cliff for now. i would be surprised if committees are reviewing applications in july.

I had noted on my application that I would be retaking the MCAT in July. Odds are they saw that and just deferred me. I emailed them just to make sure, i'll let you know what they say.

They received my primary June 24th and I received the deferred email today. I spoke with Annette and was told that I was reviewed by the committee and put on hold for my August MCAT score. I suppose it's better than a strait rejection

HockeyDr, dont you have an mcat of a 27? That's a pretty good score for them to put you on hold. Makes me nervous about my chance there :/

I talked to Angie today to make sure my mcat score was recieved. She said they will probably get to me any day now to make a decision. My stats are 3.96 gpa, 3.92 sgpa, 24P mcat. I'm getting nervous knowing I will be getting my verdict so soon..

HockeyDr, dont you have an mcat of a 27? That's a pretty good score for them to put you on hold. Makes me nervous about my chance there :/

I talked to Angie today to make sure my mcat score was recieved. She said they will probably get to me any day now to make a decision. My stats are 3.96 gpa, 3.92 sgpa, 24P mcat. I'm getting nervous knowing I will be getting my verdict so soon..

My sci GPA is a 3.0 :(, I really need to blow the MCAT out of the water this time.

i haven't gotten such an email, but my status still reads decision deferred. i'm guessing for my new mcat score.

i'm almost certain they're waiting for my new mcat score but my status still says decision pending...

thats kinda weird

i also got a decision deferred email the other day. gpa is a little above 3.2 and mcat is a 28

Wow.. that makes me nervous. I would have thought you would be competitive. I have a feeling I should just expect the same thing. It makes me wonder why NO ONE has posted that they got an interview.

Wow.. that makes me nervous. I would have thought you would be competitive. I have a feeling I should just expect the same thing. It makes me wonder why NO ONE has posted that they got an interview.

i doubt you need to be nervous, your gpa is outstanding. i'm just curious when they would make the next decision

Stat wise you are fine. Your GPA will be your saving grace.

I doubt anyone has gotten an interview invite yet as interviews don't generally start until mid Sept, and invites last year didn't go out until July 31. They also do interviews as late as early April, so stay possitive.

Decision Deferred... ouch. Anybody get turned down outright? Or is this there "nice" way of saying "no."

As mentioned in previous posts in this thread, Decision Deferred does not mean "no".

Forgive my poor verbiage. I am not retaking the MCAT, my primary is in (I do not knot what other "materials" I would be missing), no misdemeanors, etc. cliffhuxtableDO stated not to worry about it, they will be reviewing in the next few weeks, it is the next few weeks now. I.E. the reason for my concern. So, that is why I was stating my question, please believe that I do read each and every word in a thread before I post. Thanks for your feed back though!

Sorry if I came off as brusque. I know it's easier to counsel patience when I don't have a med school application on the line. When I get to Lewisburg I'll ask the admissions office what "Decision Deferred" means exactly; all the possible reasons. My money is still on them sifting through several thousand apps.

Sorry if I came off as brusque. I know it's easier to counsel patience when I don't have a med school application on the line. When I get to Lewisburg I'll ask the admissions office what "Decision Deferred" means exactly; all the possible reasons. My money is still on them sifting through several thousand apps.
read FAQ on there website. It means that the decision is not made yet.

Should i submit my letters to wvsom now? or should I wait until/if I get a secondary?>

not sure if thats entirely true,

did some research and...

When should I submit my letters of recommendation?Letters of recommendation are accepted at any time. It will be helpful in the decision process if required letters of recommendation are available for review.

so I guess we should submit now?

Hey all, I just got the "decision deferred" email today as well.

My application is complete and I am not waiting on a future MCAT score.