WVSOM Informal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hmasters5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please go into what to except that the Informal group interview? I still don't know the difference? What kind of questions are they going ask, is everyone together, etc..

Members don't see this ad.

hmasters5 said:
Can someone please go into what to except that the Informal group interview? I still don't know the difference? What kind of questions are they going ask, is everyone together, etc..

What time is your interview? I thought you had the normal interview.

hmasters5 said:
From what I have heard (this process is new to this year) from interviewees is that it is very laid back. More so than the traditional interviews; which are already pretty laid back. From what I can gather it's very much a sort of we just want to see what your personality is like type interview.

Now I could be entirely wrong but I dont know any informal interviewee who's had a moment of stress on their interview day.

I dont know what questions they ask. May about interests and stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
JKDMed said:
What time is your interview? I thought you had the normal interview.

Now I have the group informal. I think in the catalog it says its different than reg admission. But I dont know. Thats what I want to figure out.

hmasters5 said:
Now I have the group informal. I think in the catalog it says its different than reg admission. But I dont know. Thats what I want to figure out.

It is different from what I have read/heard. More of a "get to know you" thing than the normal interview.

Any idea what prompted the change? Your LOI or perhaps you were mistakenly placed into the normal interview cycle?

I know you get the informal if you have a 3.4 sgpa and a 24+ on the MCAT.

When I went there were about 14 interviewees. We were split into 2 groups. First my group had one-on-one interviews for ~30 minutes in a room with the 7 other candidates also having their one-on-one interviews. We were each at separate tables with our respective interviewer. The other group had their group interview. Then we switched places.

So, our group went in for the group interview. This consisted of the 7 of us seated around a single table with 2 WVSOM faculty members. The faculty members would ask a question and then go around the table getting each person's answer. It was just like the one-on-one interview except that there were 6 other candidates and an extra faculty member listening to your answers.

Questions for both the one-on-one and group interview were the same or very similar:

Why doctoring/DO?
What are your hobbies?
What do you think about Lewisburg?
Tell me/us about yourself?
Do you have any questions for me/us?
What led you into being a doctor, is there anything specific?

That's it, it was very laid-back and not stressful at all.

The previous post describes the process well. My individual interview was with the Associate Director of Admissions who was very kind and enthusiatic about my application. When we flip-flopped to the group interview, a faculty DO asked "Why osteopathy?" and "Why WVSOM?" She also solicited questions and was frank about the financial need to expand the class size. I was very impressed with the school, especially the PBL option.

My group interview was on a Tuesday. On Friday I received my acceptance letter in the mail. Excited and feeling good!

Thanks for the info! I have my interview on Tuesday Oct. 4... anybody else? Also, what would you wear for an informal interview? I have a suit/tie/slacks.. would that overdo it?

I had e-mailed Angi about the interview that I am scheduled for and she said there is going to be four people in the room. One clinician, phd, dean of admissions, and you. Did anyone else have that?

hmasters5 said:
I had e-mailed Angi about the interview that I am scheduled for and she said there is going to be four people in the room. One clinician, phd, dean of admissions, and you. Did anyone else have that?

Yeah, that's the normal interview isn't it? I'm confused. Which is the "informal"? The one where it's you and a bunch of other applicants?

The informal interview setup is for applicants with a 3.5+ GPA and between a 24-27 MCAT.

priu said:
Thanks for the info! I have my interview on Tuesday Oct. 4... anybody else? Also, what would you wear for an informal interview? I have a suit/tie/slacks.. would that overdo it?

I have my interview there on Oct 4th as well. I am scheduled for a group interview at 9:30. I planned on wearing a suit. See ya there.

Does anyone know if there is cell phone service in Lewisburg area.

There is cell phone service...
T-mobile doesn't work but US cellular and verizon do.