WVSOM, PCOM-GA, or PCOM??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yont283

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which school would be the best to attend if one wanted to go into IM then possible GI??

disregard cost, family, and location.

Members don't see this ad.

PCOM, WVSOM, PCOM-Ga.

PCOM... all three are fine institutions that will get you where you want to go.

PCOM has the highest specialty rate, although IM is considered primary care...

COST IS ALWAYS A FACTOR. For that reason, you should definitely consider striking wvsom from your list. And then, for me, PCOM vs PCOM-Ga is a no-brainer if location isn't an issue. PCOM is the 100-year old school and PCOM-Ga is the infant offspring that has great potential...

Obviously most of these things are overgeneralizations... I loved the feeling of WVSOM but PCOM is the superior school, IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
PCOM... all three are fine institutions that will get you where you want to go.

PCOM has the highest specialty rate, although IM is considered primary care...

COST IS ALWAYS A FACTOR. For that reason, you should definitely consider striking wvsom from your list. And then, for me, PCOM vs PCOM-Ga is a no-brainer if location isn't an issue. PCOM is the 100-year old school and PCOM-Ga is the infant offspring that has great potential...

Obviously most of these things are overgeneralizations... I loved the feeling of WVSOM but PCOM is the superior school, IMO.

WVSOM, I believe, is ranked higher for their putting out a great number of PC physicians. If cost isn't a factor, then it belongs to be #2 (again, mainly because of cost). PCOM-Ga would be 3rd due to its "newness", however, since when is IM all that competitive anyways ... can go either way.

however, since when is IM all that competitive anyways ... can go either way.

IM in general is not

IM at a strong program is definately competitive

No offense to WVSOM or the Georgia folk, but if you want to specialize...or even arent sure...PCOM is the place to go of the three you listed.

Which school would be the best to attend if one wanted to go into IM then possible GI??

disregard cost, family, and location.

PCOM or WVSOM. You shouldn't go to PCOM-GA

alright thanks for all the replies.

Right now I am in-between WVSOM and PCOM. I like the fact that WVSOM ranks highly in PC and so, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't coming from WV rank higher than PCOM when applying to IM because WV is a "PC" school. IM is considered primary care, correct?

also, are there primary care IM residencies or just IM residencies? Just a little confused about that. Thanks, Christian

Right now I am in-between WVSOM and PCOM. I like the fact that WVSOM ranks highly in PC and so, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't coming from WV rank higher than PCOM when applying to IM because WV is a "PC" school. IM is considered primary care, correct?

also, are there primary care IM residencies or just IM residencies? Just a little confused about that. Thanks, Christian

IM IS primary care. But there are more well-known IM sites in Philly which you would probably give you a better chance at PCOM.

Hands down, PCOM is the better choice. The cost differential is enormous -- the total amount for one year with expenses is about 73k for WVSOM and 60k for PCOM

13 X 4 = $52k over the course of your education. If you don't want to come to PCOM then don't, but you're going to a lesser known school for much more money. Don't get me wrong, I really liked WVSOM but I don't think that it is as godo of an institution as PCOM. My bias is obvious though so take that for what it's worth.

No.

WVSOM does send most of its docs into primary care. Many of the residencies that their graduates frequently match into a great primary care spots, but some are at smaller community hospitals where there are no Fellowships available.

Trust me...if you want GI or any other medical subspecialty then PCOM over WVSOM. No offense to WVSOM...fantastic school with probably the best cadaver lab of all the DO schools. I have only met great people from there, but the opportunities are somewhat limited. Its purely a matter of geography and trend.

IM is IM. Only difference you should look for are IM programs that are at institutions that also offer IM subspecialty training.

Most of the IM people who come from PCOM go on to complete subspecialty training. I would only guess that the % of IM grads from PCOM going on to specialize is higher than the % of IM grads from WVSOM going on to specialize.

Just as a follow up...

There are more hospitals in a 20 mile radius of Philadelphia than there are in the entire STATE of West Virginia.

In fact, Philadelphia alone has a little over half the number of hospitals and medical centers than the entire state of West Virginia.

Philadelphia has 10 MD IM residencies and 6 DO IM residencies for about 400 IM spots/year.

West Virginia has 3 MD IM residencies and 3 DO IM residencies for about 55 spots/year.

JPHazelton, where are these stats posted?

also, is there anyway to find out the % of IM grads going on to sub-specialties from certian med schools?

Thanks for the help.

i'd say definitely pcom for all the aforementioned reasons too

JPHazelton, where are these stats posted?

They arent posted anywhere. Thats good old investigative work from AMA, AOA and Google.

also, is there anyway to find out the % of IM grads going on to sub-specialties from certian med schools?

Thanks for the help.

I am sure you could find that out but it might be tough. I dont know where there is a database for something like that.

You seem to have a tough time letting go of WVSOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
They arent posted anywhere. Thats good old investigative work from AMA, AOA and Google.

I am sure you could find that out but it might be tough. I dont know where there is a database for something like that.

You seem to have a tough time letting go of WVSOM.

One would think letting go of PCOM would be extremely tough ...

One would think letting go of PCOM would be extremely tough ...

Not all of us can go to new, unproven schools. Some of us are stuck with the biggest, oldest, best known schools with best specialty match rate.

But...you said you didnt like PCOM because of an open house. Thats what I said about Harvard med...right after I realized I didnt have a shot in hell at getting in. :laugh:

Not all of us can go to new, unproven schools. Some of us are stuck with the biggest, oldest, best known schools with best specialty match rate.

But...you said you didnt like PCOM because of an open house. Thats what I said about Harvard med...right after I realized I didnt have a shot in hell at getting in. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: That was funny.......but watch it about DCOM! ;)

I did? Please ... remind me .. :confused:

My situation was actually complicated. I didn't exactly see myself going to DCOM, but due to certain circumstances it appears I will end up there.

Riiiight.

You can dish it out all day on SDN DrI but you cant take it, huh? :laugh:

I can't take it? So, you know where all I applied? Wow, some genius you are!

Tell me, please tell me where all I applied! I'm dying to know dude! :laugh:

I can't take it? So, you know where all I applied? Wow, some genius you are!

Tell me, please tell me where all I applied! I'm dying to know dude! :laugh:

Alright, I'll leave you alone before the tears start flowing.

Alright, I'll leave you alone before the tears start flowing.

Tears from all the laughter at your stupidity for questioning where all I applied? Yes, it's in full force ...

Did I hurt your feelings again?

Tears from all the laughter at your stupidity for questioning where all I applied? Yes, it's in full force ...

1 month to JPHazelton = Doctor
4 months to Dr.Inviz = MS1

I win.

Goodnight.

:cool:

1 month to JPHazelton = Doctor
4 months to Dr.Inviz = MS1

I win.

Goodnight.

:cool:

Have fun getting pimped by residents and the attending, as an intern.

JP=horse :beat:

I did? Please ... remind me .. :confused:

My situation was actually complicated. I didn't exactly see myself going to DCOM, but due to certain circumstances it appears I will end up there.

actually JP that was Kuba who didn't apply to PCOM bc of an open house... sorry to deliver bad news... and not arguing against you just giving a point of information.

hee...hee....:laugh:

I would vote for PCOM. Many more hospitals and much more opportunity. WVSOM is famous for rural health care and really expensive OOS tuition.

Have fun getting pimped by residents and the attending, as an intern.

JP=horse :beat:

Ha!

Being pimped as an intern sure as hell beats another 14 weeks of anatomy lab.

I'll be cutting the live ones while you are stinking of adipose and fah-shah

I would vote for PCOM. Many more hospitals and much more opportunity. WVSOM is famous for rural health care and really expensive OOS tuition.

:thumbup:

Ha!

Being pimped as an intern sure as hell beats another 14 weeks of anatomy lab.

I'll be cutting the live ones while you are stinking of adipose and fah-shah

OK some of us eat breakfast while we watch SDN. Thanks :laugh:

(I'm not grossed out or anything... But I'd ahve to be a corpse to not notice that you said fah-shah. What was that for?