WVSOM vs KYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Helicase1Z

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I know this type of thread has been posted a lot about other schools, but I need some help. I have to decide between the two schools by December. While the faculty and campus are great at WVSOM, the cost is a bit steep. However, KYCOM is a lot cheaper and they include many extras within the cost. I would really like for some extra information on the schools to aid in my decision such as personal experiences or info about residency placement. Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

KYCOM has a very rural medicine based mission. They also have never posted a match list, so i'd be wary of going to KYCOM. WVSOM is pricey but It might be able to place you into a better residency.

I would have to disagree with Serenade. I interviewed at KYCOM and was accepted there also. It might be rural but I would argue that it would be a better overall education than WVSOM (also rural). Being from KY I also have heard of the graduates from KYCOM being well respected by their counter parts at U of L and UK. Like most schools, and I would expect WVSOM, you are only in this location for two years anyways and during that time you are not going to be doing much other than studying regardless. KYCOM's curriculum seemed nice as well and offers some down time between blocks. I am sure the new building will be amazing too. How KYCOM pays for books and an ipad2 was pretty cool too.

Just my 2 cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would have to disagree with Serenade. I interviewed at KYCOM and was accepted there also. It might be rural but I would argue that it would be a better overall education than WVSOM (also rural). Being from KY I also have heard of the graduates from KYCOM being well respected by their counter parts at U of L and UK. Like most schools, and I would expect WVSOM, you are only in this location for two years anyways and during that time you are not going to be doing much other than studying regardless. KYCOM's curriculum seemed nice as well and offers some down time between blocks. I am sure the new building will be amazing too. How KYCOM pays for books and an ipad2 was pretty cool too.

Just my 2 cents.

Normally I wouldn't add, but there was another thread comparing kycom, LMU, and nova, and the overwhelming majority was pretty harsh on kycom. I have no personal input, just wanted to throw that out there.

Just my 2 cents.

Did they tell you the first time pass rate for the COMLEX? There have been some rumored disseminated by some of the students that it's somewhere around 60-70%. Which would make it the lower than the countries average by nearly 24-34%.

Did they tell you the first time pass rate for the COMLEX? There have been some rumored disseminated by some of the students that it's somewhere around 60-70%. Which would make it the lower than the countries average by nearly 24-34%.

FYI, during AZCOM's interview, they showed a powerpoint slide of the COMLEX pass rates for all the schools. The bars were labeled with numbers though...no school names, except for AZCOM's. Funny thing is that most schools were 90+%, but there was this one school....an outlier that was significantly lower than all the other schools (<80%). We were wondering which school that was. No one had the cojones to ask the presenter :scared:

What extras are you talking specifically about from KYCOM? At WVSOM they include a new laptop and a number of your books with the tuition. Granted it is still pretty pricey they do include extras too.

okay before throwing around rumors about KYCOM's passing rate on COMLEX for first time takers...I talked to the Dean of academic affairss well as well as students that attend the school, and the rate was 93% last year. Don't get caught up with all the rumors on this website.

I guess people just think KYCOM is not that good of a school because it's rural and doesn't release all its info like other schools...but that doesn't mean anything. I would talk to the Dean or Admissions director, Ronnie Collins, for more information.

KYCOM has one of the lowest tuitions and gives free things such as Ipad2, books, board prep classes, diagnostic equipment including stethoscope, OMT table, white coat, etc.

I think WVSOM is significantly more in terms of price and the location is also rural...

On another note, I would love to see more info about KYCOM in terms of residency placements!

Just to add, none of that is really "free." They charge you a higher tuition to cover these things and just claim its "free."

okay before throwing around rumors about KYCOM's passing rate on COMLEX for first time takers...I talked to the Dean of academic affairss well as well as students that attend the school, and the rate was 93% last year. Don't get caught up with all the rumors on this website.

I guess people just think KYCOM is not that good of a school because it's rural and doesn't release all its info like other schools...but that doesn't mean anything. I would talk to the Dean or Admissions director, Ronnie Collins, for more information.

KYCOM has one of the lowest tuitions and gives free things such as Ipad2, books, board prep classes, diagnostic equipment including stethoscope, OMT table, white coat, etc.

I think WVSOM is significantly more in terms of price and the location is also rural...

On another note, I would love to see more info about KYCOM in terms of residency placements!

This pass rate sounds familiar to me as well though I couldn't tell you when I heard it :p. I had a match list from there at one point that I found. If its rediscovered it will get posted. :xf:

Sorry, I've got sincere doubt about KYCOM having an average pass rate. However I am curious about the residency placements.

Edit: They advertised a 91% pass rate for Comlex-PE.

Last edited:
Something I found from 2008 so in theory it should be better than this
Here is 2008

Gen. Surgery Detroit, MI (Detroit Med Center System)
IM Knoxville, TN (U of Tenn.)
IM Washington, DC (Walter Reed Army Med)
IM Cincinnati, OH (Christ Hospital)
FM Tupelo, MS
Neurology University of Mississipi
Ob-Gyn Philadelphia, PA
EM-IM Westlake, OH (cleveland area)
IM Corinth, MS
Gen. Surgery Detroit, MI
IM Norton, VA
Family South Bend, IN (St. Joseph's)
NeuroSurgery Livingston, NJ
Trad Intern, Rad York, PA (Memorial Hospital)
IM Cinncinati, OH (U of Cincy)
EM East Lansing, MI (MSU)
Gen. Surgery Mobile, AL (U of S. AL)
IM Michigan (Henry Ford)
Trad Intern, PMR Amarillo, TX (Texas Tech U)
IM Joplin, MO
IM Lexington, KY (UK)
IM Louisville, KY (UofL)
IM Corinth, MS
Family Fort Wayne, IN
Med Peds Hershey, PA (Penn State)
Peds Lexington, KY (UK)
EM Warren, MI
Trad Intern, Anesthesia St. Peterburg, FL
Ob-Gyn Pontiac, MI
EM Jackson, MS (UMC)
Gen. Surgery Garden City, MI
IM Lansing, MI (Ingham Regional)
Ob-Gyn Philadelphia, PA
IM Cincinnati, OH (U of Cincy)
Gen. Surgery Farmington Hills, MI (Botsford)
Anesthesia Little Rock, AK (UAMS)
Gen. Surgery Kirksville, MO (Northeast Reg.)
IM Michigan (Henry Ford)
Ob-Gyn Pontiac, MI (SJMO)
IM Cinncinati, OH (U of Cincy)
Family Spartanburg, SC
EM Richmond, VA (Med College of VA/VCU)
Ob-Gyn Johnson City, TN (ETSU)
IM Norton, VA
Family Birmingham, AL (St. Vincent's)
Family Henderson, KY
IM Charleston, WV
EM Columbus, OH
Trad Intern, PMR Kalamazoo, MI (MSU @ Bronson Hospital)
EM Portsmouth, OH