WVSOM VS TOURO - NV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanIdoIt?

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright ladies and gentlemen, I am having the HARDEST time deciding between these two wonderful schools. Let me know your thoughts and which school is "better" and why. If you are from one of these schools please let me know why you choice that institution.

Thank you for all the help!

Members don't see this ad.

City or Rural?
Which is cheaper?
Are you enormously enamored with primary care and or learning about how to deal with primary care issues in WV?

City or Rural?
Which is cheaper?
Are you enormously enamored with primary care and or learning about how to deal with primary care issues in WV?

Very good points. I am not completely enamored with primary care or rural medicine. I am enamored with the large number of patient simulators that WVSOM has that TUNCOM does not. However, I am not sure how important that is to my overall medical education.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very good points. I am not completely enamored with primary care or rural medicine. I am enamored with the large number of patient simulators that WVSOM has that TUNCOM does not. However, I am not sure how important that is to my overall medical education.

When I interviewed at WVSOM, one of the students I had lunch with said the patient simulators weren't particularly beneficial and when rotating and dealing with real patients, he realized that it wasn't really a great advantage to have FWIW.

Current WVSOM first year, I absolutely love it here. Can't comment on Touro, but just giving my 2 cents. The education I have received so far has been great, and the faculty really make sure they are available to help if you need it. I think one thing is that you must be OK with living in a rural place for a few years. I grew up in a town of 2000 people so it's home for me. Living in a city is highly overrated :)

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a current first year at TouroNV. We just had an exam, so screw it I'll take some time and chime in.

I LOVE it here, the faculty are awesome (for the most part), I always feel like the teachers are always available to me and here to help me. This also extends to the non-academic staff, who are always really nice.

My classmates are awesome. Everyone posts study guides and stuff for each other on facebook.

It's cool being so close to the strip to do fun stuff (especially comes into play when you have family/friends coming into town and want to show them a good time) but not so close that its distracting. But there's a ton of other stuff to do too.

I actually never even applied to WVSOM because I was not at ALL into rural medicine, which they seem to be all about. Also, my friend who lives in Virginia told me that West Virginia can be really scary (but I've never been there, so keep that in mind).

The main reason I chose the school was because 1) its the only school in Southern Nevada and there are a few hospitals to do clinical rotations and 2) it has OASIS which is a free program that offers free tutoring from student peers who have taken the class before and gotten a good grade.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

I'm a current first year at TouroNV. We just had an exam, so screw it I'll take some time and chime in.

I LOVE it here, the faculty are awesome (for the most part), I always feel like the teachers are always available to me and here to help me. This also extends to the non-academic staff, who are always really nice.

My classmates are awesome. Everyone posts study guides and stuff for each other on facebook.

It's cool being so close to the strip to do fun stuff (especially comes into play when you have family/friends coming into town and want to show them a good time) but not so close that its distracting. But there's a ton of other stuff to do too.

I actually never even applied to WVSOM because I was not at ALL into rural medicine, which they seem to be all about. Also, my friend who lives in Virginia told me that West Virginia can be really scary (but I've never been there, so keep that in mind).

The main reason I chose the school was because 1) its the only school in Southern Nevada and there are a few hospitals to do clinical rotations and 2) it has OASIS which is a free program that offers free tutoring from student peers who have taken the class before and gotten a good grade.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Just to clarify, West Virginia is NOT a scary place. People tend to give WV a bad rap, but it is absolutely beautiful here. WV is truly a gem that many people don't know about. Yes, way out in the middle of nowhere, it can get sketchy. I've been to Nevada, it can get sketchy as hell there too, trust me. Having a med school next to the Las Vegas strip didn't appeal to me at all when considering Touro. Every state has their sketchy parts. I'm from MN, arguably one of the better states in the nation (Mayo Clinic, low unemployment rate), and even MN has its sketchy areas. Everywhere in and around Lewisburg is great.

In addition, you don't have to go into rural medicine. A misconception is that you HAVE to do rural medicine. Yes, I probably will work in a more rural area, but plenty of my classmates are going to work in urban and suburban areas as well.

For real though, just sit down and think it out yourself. You're just going to get people on here who are bias for the most part, write out a pros and cons list and do work :D good luck mate!

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, exactly this. I have never been to WV so I really can't say anything about where the school is actually located. And I will say that the actual city of Las Vegas off the strip can be really grimy and scary as f***, but Henderson, which is the city where the school is actually located, is super nice. I think it was ranked the 2nd safest city in the US by Forbes or something like that a few years ago. I'll try to add the link if I ever find it.

Just to clarify, West Virginia is NOT a scary place. People tend to give WV a bad rap, but it is absolutely beautiful here. WV is truly a gem that many people don't know about. Yes, way out in the middle of nowhere, it can get sketchy. I've been to Nevada, it can get sketchy as hell there too, trust me. Having a med school next to the Las Vegas strip didn't appeal to me at all when considering Touro. Every state has their sketchy parts. I'm from MN, arguably one of the better states in the nation (Mayo Clinic, low unemployment rate), and even MN has its sketchy areas. Everywhere in and around Lewisburg is great.

In addition, you don't have to go into rural medicine. A misconception is that you HAVE to do rural medicine. Yes, I probably will work in a more rural area, but plenty of my classmates are going to work in urban and suburban areas as well.

For real though, just sit down and think it out yourself. You're just going to get people on here who are bias for the most part, write out a pros and cons list and do work :D good luck mate!

Reactions: 1 user
People for some reason have really bought into this the hills have eyes view of West Virginia. I mean, there's no denying it's certainly not a metropolis nor is it a shining example state for the union to follow. But it's tolerable.

People for some reason have really bought into this the hills have eyes view of West Virginia. I mean, there's no denying it's certainly not a metropolis nor is it a shining example state for the union to follow. But it's tolerable.
I know what you're getting at, but I just wanted to point out that Hills Have Eyes actually takes place in Nevada.

Reactions: 3 users