WVSOM vs. VCOM-VA vs. CUSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

granolavalue

Reaction score
Between WVSOM, VCOM-VA, and CUSOM, what are relevant factors about any of the schools. Any insight from current students would be appreciated. A few thoughts:
  • WVSOM is the only one with no attendance policy/dress code. Obviously this is preferred for most students, but is having an attendance policy a dealbreaker. For any students that go to med school with an attendance policy, what is that experience like?
  • WVSOM, is the oldest and more established of the trio. How big a factor should this be? Looking at board pass rates, all three are comparable. Match lists also boast impressive placements for all three schools but this is harder to understand for me as I don’t really know what are good and bad residencies.
  • WVSOM might have the least opportunity for research. CUSOM is in NC and has affiliated programs at the school and VCOM has Virginia Tech nearby which offers ample opportunity.
  • WVSOM is really rural compared to the other two. Having grown up in a suburban area, it’s just not something I’m used to. Obviously not a big deal cause I’m there for school and really only the preclinical years.
Any insight on any of the schools would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Which one is the cheapest or closest to home? Are any P/F?

They are all fine programs, with WVSOM being the oldest as you said.

Which one is the cheapest or closest to home? Are any P/F?

They are all fine programs, with WVSOM being the oldest as you said.
CUSOM is closest to home but all are within a 4 hour drive so not too concerned about that. None of them are P/F which would have been ideal but seems like most DO schools aren't P/F.

Mainly I'm weighing if no attendance policy/no dress code at WVSOM is more valuable to a nicer location at VCOM/CUSOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
CUSOM is closest to home but all are within a 4 hour drive so not too concerned about that. None of them are P/F which would have been ideal but seems like most DO schools aren't P/F.

Mainly I'm weighing if no attendance policy/no dress code at WVSOM is more valuable to a nicer location at VCOM/CUSOM.
That's fair and I think it would be a good choice to have the maximum flexiblity with your schedule at WVSOM.

I visited WVSOM and the facilities knocked my socks off and their curriculum crafter around student feedback and promoting student mental health is amazing. Amazing school and the area is rural but there are still grocery stores, restaurants, etc.

Between WVSOM, VCOM-VA, and CUSOM, what are relevant factors about any of the schools. Any insight from current students would be appreciated. A few thoughts:
  • WVSOM is the only one with no attendance policy/dress code. Obviously this is preferred for most students, but is having an attendance policy a dealbreaker. For any students that go to med school with an attendance policy, what is that experience like?
  • WVSOM, is the oldest and more established of the trio. How big a factor should this be? Looking at board pass rates, all three are comparable. Match lists also boast impressive placements for all three schools but this is harder to understand for me as I don’t really know what are good and bad residencies.
  • WVSOM might have the least opportunity for research. CUSOM is in NC and has affiliated programs at the school and VCOM has Virginia Tech nearby which offers ample opportunity.
  • WVSOM is really rural compared to the other two. Having grown up in a suburban area, it’s just not something I’m used to. Obviously not a big deal cause I’m there for school and really only the preclinical years.
Any insight on any of the schools would be great!

I heard CUSOM is getting rid of the mandatory attendance policy starting this year.

Reactions: 1 user