WX grade in Calculus my Freshman year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jijian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just had a quick question on how medical schools would view a WX grade (meaning I dropped the class after the drop deadline, but before there was enough graded material to give a grade) that I received in Calculus for my Freshman year. This was my first semester of college ever (I was such a slacker my freshman year!), so I was kind of hoping schools would take that into account and not be so harsh. Nevertheless, I will be a Junior this upcoming fall and as of now do not plan on retaking Calculus in the future (And yes, I know that a handful of MD schools do require Calculus). Are schools going to look down on this? Will the class be calculated as a Zero/F towards my BCPM? Thanks for all of your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of a WX... at my school when you drop a class after the drop date, you get a WF - withdrawl fail. Is it counted as a zero in your school GPA? I'm guessing AMCAS will count it as a failure, but I'm really not sure. Check the AMCAS guide on their website. And you can always call them and ask you can't find the answer online.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never heard of a WX... at my school when you drop a class after the drop date, you get a WF - withdrawl fail. Is it counted as a zero in your school GPA? I'm guessing AMCAS will count it as a failure, but I'm really not sure. Check the AMCAS guide on their website. And you can always call them and ask you can't find the answer online.

At my school, after the drop date it counts as W. Then there is last day to withdraw, which is like two weeks before semester is over. After that, dropping a class counts as an F. WX is probably just a W and will not count towards the GPA.

Well at my school it works like this..

W-Withdraw
X- Withdraw after "W" deadline
F- Way late to realize you will fail

You can make up all these courses

I have never heard of a WX though

I made my statement assuming that you dropped after add/drop at the beginning of the semester but before the ultimate withdraw deadline (at my school, you could withdraw during add/drop without the class ever appearing on your transcript at all, and then you could withdraw usually up until about halfway through the semester with a W, after which you couldn't withdraw at all without a medical reason). Assuming that your WX is equivalent to my school's W, it shouldn't be factored in your GPA.