X-ray exposure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RoCKK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just changed dentist and while taking my x-rays the asst. didn't use a lead apron on me and stood right next to me while taking the exposure. For as long as I can remember and in my old dentist's office the asst. always provided an apron and left the operatory. I asked her about this and she said that the exposure for this x-ray machine was like that of a tv. She showed me a brochure about it that called the system CDR (computor digital radiography). My old dentist had digital also but assts. always took precautions. I'm not worried about me so much for just one series, but am curious about other dental offices and their procedures. Do many of you use digital and are precautions neccessary for the patient and asst. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

This sounds kinda like a question on our last radiology exam... :laugh:

To the OP...

The standard procedure is to use a lead apron and lead collar when taking X rays. Having said that, if digital x rays were used then the amount of radiation is very low. (usually depending on the type of digital system and set up) Also, there is very little radiation exposure that goes below the head from scattering of the beam.

It can also be said that a full mouth series of x rays is like staying out in the sun for the afternoon (radiation exposure-wise). I do not think you should worry about this at all, but you might call the office and ask why no lead apron and collar was used. Next time you could ask for one.

Hope this helps. :thumbup:

The science shows that the lead apron is almost completely useless - even when it is used with traditional dental x-rays.

The lead apron just isn't needed; it is used more out of tradition and as a comfort to the patient to help them feel they are being "protected".

Still, I will insist that my assistants exit the room during exposure.

Members don't see this ad :)
12YearOldKid said:
The science shows that the lead apron is almost completely useless - even when it is used with traditional dental x-rays.

The lead apron just isn't needed; it is used more out of tradition and as a comfort to the patient to help them feel they are being "protected".

Still, I will insist that my assistants exit the room during exposure.

There's also reputable scientific evidence stating the lead apron is indicated. ("almost completely useless???interest paradoxyl choice of words). Stick with the lead apron.

RoCKK said:
I just changed dentist and while taking my x-rays the asst. didn't use a lead apron on me and stood right next to me while taking the exposure. For as long as I can remember and in my old dentist's office the asst. always provided an apron and left the operatory. I asked her about this and she said that the exposure for this x-ray machine was like that of a tv. She showed me a brochure about it that called the system CDR (computor digital radiography). My old dentist had digital also but assts. always took precautions. I'm not worried about me so much for just one series, but am curious about other dental offices and their procedures. Do many of you use digital and are precautions neccessary for the patient and asst. Thanks

I've been an assistant for a LONG time and always use an apron on my patient. There are times where I take around 70 x-rays a day. Our clinic does have a digital x-ray machine and we always use precaution even though it's only .06 radiation per x-ray shot. I have seen assistants be careless and I honestly think they are *******es for that. I've also worked with in endo when a dentist will try to postion the XCP correctly and will risk getting radiated.

apron, and get outta the room. cumulative exposure is the issue. any dental office employee should do everything to reduce cumulative exposure as much as possible. i recall seeing pics of dentists' fingers after years of holding films in pt's mouths. they had carcinomas all over their digits. nasty.

S Files said:
There's also reputable scientific evidence stating the lead apron is indicated. ("almost completely useless???interest paradoxyl choice of words). Stick with the lead apron.

What reputable evidence? The (small amount of) radiation will only go where the beam is directed. The lead apron was more important decades ago when the machines would sway back and forth. If you have some evidence cough it up. I think it will make the patient feel more comfortable, though.

dentalman said:
What reputable evidence? The (small amount of) radiation will only go where the beam is directed. The lead apron was more important decades ago when the machines would sway back and forth. If you have some evidence cough it up. I think it will make the patient feel more comfortable, though.

I'm with dentalman here... our radio prof said the apron really doesn't do much for the patient... its really just traditional. I remember the prof mentioning that maybe in Europe? or some other countries where it is never used.

Lead works best with direct beam. However, lead has been shown to be less effective protection from scatter radiation. The nurses that are taking 70 xrays a day coulb be in big trouble unless they stand behind the proper barrier. A company called radmart.com has a different metal compound that is more effective than lead and lighter. Sorry if this sounds like a plug, but they have a report on their page that shows a test done on various protective materials if anyone wants proof.

The use of the lead apron started when the old x-ray machines had a tendency to not maintain the original position. The assistant would leave the room and as they would press the button the tube would fall and be pointed at the patients chest. With modern machines the lead apron has no purpose other than patient demand. Some oral radiologists would argue that the lead apron "keeps in" the internal scatter increasing exposure. If you understand collimation then you realize only a small part of the jaw is exposed, the lead apron never comes into play.

isn't the point simply to reduce exposure for everyone...period? dentistry is about prevention and maintaining good health so why slack on something like exposure to radiation? better to err on the side of caution, imho.

I agree that it's better to just toss on the lead apron since it's so easy to do. It comforts the patient (HUGE factor; there are endless studies about the positive effects of good patient-practitioner communication and patient comfort), and hey, it comforts the patient! (Maybe if a TINY amount of radiation gets through, added bonus.) All my dental professors constantly cite how much more radiation you get by going to the airport and flying, but it would probably take LESS time to toss on the apron than explain that to an anxious patient. :rolleyes:

So I think the consensus here is: 1. Protect the assistant from long-term radiation and make sure he/she steps behind the wall. 2. Make the patient comfortable!

If you really want to stop people from believing the lead apron is protecting them, I guess you could offer a quick explanation to your pts about the whole deal, but it will certainly take time! Maybe better in the chair waiting for local to take effect....?

Is it just me or does the apron have the opposite effect. If someone is putting a lead apron on me then that tells me that there is enough radiation in the x-ray to justify a heavy lead apron. So now I'm worried because my face is being exposed to all that radiation. It's kinda like you wouldn't put on a gas mask to walk around outside. If you got a gas mask on there probably is some bad $hit in the air. Now I understand that there is a small trace amount of radiation, but I think the lead apron may send the wrong message on just how much there really is. With that said, the assistant should still step behind the barrier whenever possible to avoid repeated exposure.