X vs Y

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kissmy_asthma_99

Reaction score
X vs Y

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Both great options. To assuage your hesitation a bit, NJMS matches very well around NYC area too. What are total costs?

Yeah I’m more worried about research opportunities being harder to find at NJMS.

Total cost at NJMS is ~$75k and total cost at Einstein is ~$90k.

Jeez total COA even for IS is 75k? What a hoot.

Well a 60k difference is payable as an attending, it's not so major. If you really love Einstein a lot you can make the case for going there. But the thing is the total CoA is already so high, lumping on another 60k is just ****ty.

There is plenty of active research at NJMS too: Rutgers New Jersey Medical School and I'm almost certain there is active clinical research. Einstein does undoubtedly have more research funding - how much that affects you directly I don't know. Talk to some current students about it at both places if you can - this will be most relevant to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'd lean Einstein. Fours years in the city (albeit the Bronx) appeals to me more than NJ. Agree with your assessment. I think the $60 difference is worth it. $75k does seem awfully high for IS total COA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd lean Einstein. Fours years in the city (albeit the Bronx) appeals to me more than NJ. Agree with your assessment. I think the $60 difference is worth it. $75k does seem awfully high for IS total COA.

I want to say though, it's practically much easier to get into NYC from NJMS, even if Einstein is "in the city" technically haha.

Yeah IS tuition alone is roughly $43k (not including fees, health insurance, etc.).

I should clarify though that I haven’t received my fin aid package from NJMS yet. I’m just going by rough estimates of my CoL in Jersey and using what they have listed for books, fees, etc. on their website.
Oh I don’t think you’ll have 30k+ of living expenses. It’ll probably be closer to 20k. Wait for your aid package!

Jeez total COA even for IS is 75k? What a hoot.

Well a 60k difference is payable as an attending, it's not so major. If you really love Einstein a lot you can make the case for going there. But the thing is the total CoA is already so high, lumping on another 60k is just ****ty.

There is plenty of active research at NJMS too: Rutgers New Jersey Medical School and I'm almost certain there is active clinical research. Einstein does undoubtedly have more research funding - how much that affects you directly I don't know. Talk to some current students about it at both places if you can - this will be most relevant to you.
NJ and IL are well managed blue states /sarcasm. Interestingly CA instate is lower than these two.

In-state medical school tuition at CA UC schools is a relative bargain. And most are pretty high caliber schools too. COL is a challenge though, yet as I sit here this morning on my back deck it's absolutely gorgeous.

Yeah I’m more worried about research opportunities being harder to find at NJMS.

Total cost at NJMS is ~$75k and total cost at Einstein is ~$90k.
As Banco mentioned, Einstein has more research funding but NJMS does match well in the area and there are research opportunities (UH is an academic hospital, after all). I know from some people at NJMS and RWJMS that, for those especially interested in research and/or competitive specialties, some students pursue research at other institutions as well. I have a friend who did cancer research at MSK while a med student in NJ and now is in residency at Sinai.

I want to say though, it's practically much easier to get into NYC from NJMS, even if Einstein is "in the city" technically haha.
I think this is true. Einstein is pretty far up in the Bronx. I think I've heard the bus is ~45 minutes to Manhattan.
As for NJMS, Newark/JC/Hoboken are a ~20-30 minute PATH subway ride to lower Manhattan. I've heard it's common for some students to live in Jersey City or other Hudson river-facing neighborhoods.