This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qabbani4life

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Even though some people told me these schools are not even close compared to each other I wanted to ask here.

Rochester:

Pros:
- URMC's hospital system is the biggest in upstate NY and is the only one in the Rochester metropolitan area.
- Well-known and established program, highly ranked #32
- Residency home programs for every specialty I am interested in.
- Pass/Fail preclinical with internal quartiles
-Closer to family ~ 5hr drive
- I really liked the student body, and just had a very positive interview experience with them.

Cons:
- Location: VERY cold and bitter winters and small city -not much to do - biggest con for me - really not excited about living there
- sorted into percentiles for clerkships (1/3 honors, 1/3 high pass and 1/3 pass)

TCU

Pros:
- VERY early and extensive clinical exposure from first year
- Two years of impressive match lists into competitive residencies despite being a new school (this year's graduating class is their second!) u can check it here
- Close mentorships-two mentors that work closely with students to get them into the programs they want
-The Fort Worth-Dallas area is pretty fun- lots to do and much better weather than Rochester - also a big muslim community there which is a pro for me as well.
-The school is affiliated with great hospitals in the area.
- New medical school building
Cons:
- New school- unranked: this is my biggest concern with Step 1 now P/F and school ranking/prestige is much more important when it comes to matching into competitive specialties.
- Far from family- wouldn't drive but easy flights
- No home residency program for plastics which I am interested in.

Please feel free to share your own pros and cons, would appreciate all of the advice I can get.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What are the costs for both schools?

I'm leaning towards Rochester, but cost is one factor I'd consider for sure, before giving you my final opinion.

If you want plastics (or any surgical sub), you need to go to Rochester 100%. You are always most likely to match at your home program, and Rochester has a great one. The home program of course also helps with LORs and research.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rochester and this is not close, especially with the interest in plastics

What are the costs for both schools?

I'm leaning towards Rochester, but cost is one factor I'd consider for sure, before giving you my final opinion
I am not sure yet about tcu, but it looks like TCU would be about 40k more than Rochester at this point.

Rochester easily. It's cheaper, has higher prestige if that matters to you, and having a home program for specialties youre insisted in is huge. Also far from family, and support system is important. It sounds like you have had a good experience with Rochester so far as well. I think the choice is pretty clear here...