XRT for spine arthritis, or just extremities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IonsAreOurFuture

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
We've discussed many times here the merits of low dose RT for arthritis, but it seems to always be extremity. I guess my in-house program has taken off too well, because I got a referral for refractory spine arthritis pain, in a patient requiring interventions like nerve ablations.

Has anyone here seen published or treated spine before? I'm sure someone must have tried it for ankylosing spondylitis or "rheumatism" back in the day.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've done it for OA of the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine. It works.

Reactions: 2 users
Correct, Wallnerus. OA and RA and AS are different disease entities. I don't know if there's any good treatment for AS.

There was always a surgeon at UCLA that I would see walking around stooped dramatically forward. I don't know if it was due to him being tall and always hunched over the operating table for days on end, or AS. Now that I have a smartphone, I think my kyphosis will be equally bad soon.

1685561994255.png

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Yeah same doses

I’ve had good results

But a few no responses

It's been a long time since step 1/2/3, but arthritis ≠ ankylosing spondylitis?
Yes and no. Ankylosing spondylitis = Bechterew's disease.
It is a type of rheumatic arthritis. RT has been mostly used for osteoarthritis, which is rather a degenerative disease and not a rheumatic one.

Would LDRT still work for rheumatic arthritis? Probably yes, it has simply not been studied that much, is my guess.
Rheumatic arthritis is. however, a systemic disease. Even if you treat the joint, that individual patient may relapse with pain, since he has an instrinsic hyperinflammation.

I thought RT used to be a treatment for ankylosing spondylitis back in the day.

Reactions: 1 user