Xtra science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

numinous

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should BA students take extra science classes (in my class after graduation) to show interest/aptitude? I am planning on taking a biology - it will probably help me prep for the MCAT and besides, my bio marks in first year weren't so hot. Some say that you shouldn't go beyond the requirements, but others disagree. Can interest outweigh practicality when choosing what to take - marine bio vs. biochem, for example?

Members don't see this ad.

take whatever interests you...if you aren't interested in anything, take a science and do well :)

You should take science courses past the requirements(especially bio), but not because you will get a BA. BS, BA, I don't think it makes a damn bit of difference. But, you need more than a year of intro level bio to do well on the MCAT. The chem prerequisites are adequate, as are the physics, but you will need more than the recommended biology courses. Cell/molec. bio was excellent preparation for the MCAT, as was microbiology and physiology. Although these might not be in your major, if you want to be a doctor, they couldn't hurt.