XULA - Pharm School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats P1s and welcome to Xavier! I remember how excited I was when I got in. My only advice to you as of now is enjoy your summer =)

Members don't see this ad.

Got another question. Most of my classes are about 6-10 yrs old. Does it matter that those classes are that old? I have read on some schools website that they dont take classes over 7 or so years old. Also, I have accumulated 300 hours so it would be hard to bring my cumulative GPA up to a 3.0. I just calculated my prepharm GPA and it is a 3.18 with 4 classes. If I make A's in those classes, it will be a 3.33.

good question! To be honest, I know people that have cumulative GPA 3.7, pre-reqs 3.8 did not received an interview. Giving you some tear drops of hope, people outside of Xavier with GPA of 2.8 have been accepted before. Xavier's, in my opinion, is very random. Sometime I do believe they just closed their eyes and point to a random applicant and say "yes he's good, above 2.5, he's ok."

My best advice to you is, work extra hard to pull up your GPA to at least a 3.00, pre-reqs to at least 3.2, and murder the PCAT, then apply to anywhere else EXCEPT Xavier LOLz. I believed that if you really want to be a pharmacist, then you should be able to put in extra work to do so. On the other hand, if you decided that you're committed to Xavier (I don't know why) then jsut cross your fingers, hope and pray that their fingers landed on your application. Also, Xavier is really big on LORs and personal statement. If you can excelled in these two requirements with minimum GPA, you're eligible for interview.

One last thing, I really hope they will hire more competent faculty in the near future. I think their school is decent, students are great, just the "walmart greeter (admission)" are, excuse my language, ****ty! lOL These are the same people, that "filled out the forms incorrectly," that got them into trouble few months back. They need a spring cleaning!!!

Sorry I'm not too clear if Xavier will accept courses that are 6-10 years old or not. But in my opinion, I don't think why it's a problem. I think you said you're currently finishing up the pre-reqs? I think they look at academic trends as part of your assessments. From what I was told, Xavier isn't that big on GPA. As long as you meet their minimum requirement, 2.5, LORs, personal statement, and apply fairly early, then you're eligible for interview. So if I were you, I will work to get them A's and put extra effort in impressing them with your personal statement. Also, try to find professors you know fairly well that willing to write you good recommendations. Plus, a letter from a local pharmacist is highly recommended. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my acceptance package today! =) It sure does feel good.

Are u out of state? Has anyone out of state heard or seen anything yet?
I'm out of state (california, to be exact) and I didn't get anything yet. I doubt that I will get in this school because of my prerequisite requirements I did not meet. I dropped all the required classes because I got into another school. Congrats to those who got in.

Are u out of state? Has anyone out of state heard or seen anything yet?

I'm from California and I did not complete all my Pre-req's either. I have 3 uncompleted classes.

People accepted, do you mind just posting your GPA so I can see where I am at when I apply next year. Thanks.

When I applied, I hadn't completed all the prerequisites, so my GPA was like 3.5 for both prereq and m/s. Since then I have completed a bulk of my classes and now my GPA is 3.7 prereq and 3.6 m/s. Oh yeah, I also have a B.S. and just completed my M.S.

For those accepted, the letter states that we need to submit a current photo with our deposit, should it be a head shot or a full body shot, I'm so confused, I guess I will find out Monday from the horses mouth, meaning the admissions office.

When I applied, I hadn't completed all the prerequisites, so my GPA was like 3.5 for both prereq and m/s. Since then I have completed a bulk of my classes and now my GPA is 3.7 prereq and 3.6 m/s. Oh yeah, I also have a B.S. and just completed my M.S.

For those accepted, the letter states that we need to submit a current photo with our deposit, should it be a head shot or a full body shot, I'm so confused, I guess I will find out Monday from the horses mouth, meaning the admissions office.

I think it might be a 2x2 photo. I might be used for the class picture and/or student ID picture.

Does anyone know the yearly tuition for pharm students at Xavier?

Congrats to those that have been accepted. Im from out of state and havent received anything either. Im hoping we do soon. For those accepted when was the deadline for the deposit, and to Blinkn09 was your letter postmarked on the 30th of April because that was fast to get to California and will you be attending since i read youve been accepted to other schools.

Congrats to those that have been accepted. Im from out of state and havent received anything either. Im hoping we do soon. For those accepted when was the deadline for the deposit, and to Blinkn09 was your letter postmarked on the 30th of April because that was fast to get to California and will you be attending since i read youve been accepted to other schools.

Deadline for the deposit is June 1st.

Yes my Package was postmarked on April 30th and it arrived yesterday (Saturday).

I have til June 1st to make my decision...

I think it might be a 2x2 photo. I might be used for the class picture and/or student ID picture.

For last year, tuition itself was approx. 21-22K a year. Not including living expenses.

Members don't see this ad :)

I looked it up. It's $9,800 per semester, so I assume it's about $20,000 a year.

FYI, I inquired about the picture today and she stated that it should be passport size.

HTH

Yah!!! i got my package today. see you all real soon. Now i have to decide where to stay.

Congrats to both of you! Told ya'll be patient it was on the way :)

Does anybody know if we are sending the schedule of our classes with the deposit and pre-req forms.

Does anybody know if we are sending the schedule of our classes with the deposit and pre-req forms.

Yes, that form has to be sent in with the deposit form and the pre-req form.

HTH

I wanna say congrats to everyone that got accepted to Xavier, I just got accepted myself. the letters are still coming out so don't give up ppl. This is my fifth year applying so trust you have to believe in yourself and be determined. I know....:):):):):)

Congratulations everyone. I received my acceptance letter about a week ago :):):) so excited..I guess I have to make a decision soon but I did love Xavier when I went to visit for my interview and I just love new orleans in general...but we will see...I guess it all coems down to money in the end...

Anyone moving from out of state?

Stats: 3.7 GPA...very little pharmacy experience...a lot of volunteer experience...Finish all prereqs this spring..

Last edited:
Guys, do u know of schools that offer this class preferably in Texas for summer. This is giving me a headache looking for this class. Thanks

Guys, do u know of schools that offer this class preferably in Texas for summer. This is giving me a headache looking for this class. Thanks

You can take it online at www.dcc.edu It is called Health Ethics, but still the same class. That's what I did and found it to be a very interesting class.

You can take it online at www.dcc.edu It is called Health Ethics, but still the same class. That's what I did and found it to be a very interesting class.

Tootoo! i wish, but they said they dont take online courses. Good thing they didn't say anything about yours. Thank you so much for the info thou.

Tootoo! i wish, but they said they dont take online courses. Good thing they didn't say anything about yours. Thank you so much for the info thou.

How will they know that it's an online course, the transcript does not state online course, if that was the case, I would not be attending in the Fall LOL

How will they know that it's an online course, the transcript does not state online course, if that was the case, I would not be attending in the Fall LOL

I registered for an online class and the school had called to say they dont take online claases. They actually went to check the class schedule of the school i wanted to take the class in. I'm really just trying to stay positive here but this is not good.

I registered for an online class and the school had called to say they dont take online claases. They actually went to check the class schedule of the school i wanted to take the class in. I'm really just trying to stay positive here but this is not good.

Wow I guess because the school is not in New Orleans, but when searching for Bioethics class just know that the class can also be called Health Ethics or Medical Ethics and they are all the same thing.

HTH

Well count yourself lucky because the same thing happened to me last year. The class is offered at Texas Southern University in Sum I and it ends on July 2 so you can still send in your transcripts on time. Last year it was offered in sum II and didnt end until Aug 5. Look under Health Science Core and is called Biomedical ethics, it was such a fun class. Has anyone received their medical forms after sending in the deposit?

I received my health clearance forms today. I have a question, if they send you the health forms, does that mean that they've received your $500 acceptance deposit? I called today to verify that they've received my deposit b/c I sent in a cashier's check not a personal check, but I only got the answering machine. Wow, I'm happy that pretty much everyone on this thread got accepted. I heard that XULA accepted a lot of transfer students this year. Does anyone know how many students will be in our class in the Fall? I'm sooo excited!!

From experiences, it showed that calling Xavier is like bad break up from past relationship. They don't tell to pick up their phone and if they do, they'll bitch. LOL If you wish to check your deposit status, I advised to email Mrs. Linda Nash at [email protected]. She seems to be most responsive to email, about 7/12 times so far. Beside Mrs. Nash, I haven't had ONE!!! faculty replied my email; even the one at COP.

However, I believed that they have received your deposit if they sent out the medical clearance form to you, just my opinion.

From experiences, it showed that calling Xavier is like bad break up from past relationship. They don't tell to pick up their phone and if they do, they'll bitch. LOL If you wish to check your deposit status, I advised to email Mrs. Linda Nash at [email protected]. She seems to be most responsive to email, about 7/12 times so far. Beside Mrs. Nash, I haven't had ONE!!! faculty replied my email; even the one at COP.

However, I believed that they have received your deposit if they sent out the medical clearance form to you, just my opinion.

I actually emailed Mrs. Nash a couple times regarding summer school and she finally emailed me back yesterday, but I called her on Friday and she already told me what I needed to know. Are you currently a pharmacy student? Thanks for the info.

we're less than 2 wks away from June 1 (deadline for deposit). has any of those that get interviewed still has not know whether or not they got accepted?

I have a co-worker that just graduated from xavier with a B.S. in Chemistry this May and she still did not get her acceptance letter

Still did not receive a letter yet? Call COP at Xavier and was no help at all. Very rude and said letters r being mailed out.

Anybody hear anything about financial aid yet? im kinda new to this and was wondering if we have to search for our own or wait.

Still did not receive a letter yet? Call COP at Xavier and was no help at all. Very rude and said letters r being mailed out.

Hehe sorry you have to experience such poor professionalism from such "pristine" :laugh: school. But this is not much of a surprise to me. I have come to conclusion that the admission office and even the COP student affairs don't know how to communicate via telephone or email. :eek::laugh: However!, they are quite helpful when you got tired of calling them and go there personally. They are much nicer in person comparing to such "bitchy" personalities over the phone, :D.

Anybody hear anything about financial aid yet? im kinda new to this and was wondering if we have to search for our own or wait.

Some lady at the financial aid office told me that they are not looking at pharmacy finanical aid status until late June or July. :sleep::thumbdown:

Just go to www.fafsa.gov and complete your student aid form for 2009-2010. I already completed mine and got a letter from the financial aid office telling me that they have received my SAR. For students that already have a degree, you have to selected 5th year undergrad and second degree seeking. They also changed the P2-P4 years to graduate for financial aid purposes instead of P1 and P2 being undergrad.

HTH

I gave up my seat for class of 2013. I'm sad to give it up. Good luck to everyone who got in! Hopefully one of you will be called off the waitlist! =)

Well count yourself lucky because the same thing happened to me last year. The class is offered at Texas Southern University in Sum I and it ends on July 2 so you can still send in your transcripts on time. Last year it was offered in sum II and didnt end until Aug 5. Look under Health Science Core and is called Biomedical ethics, it was such a fun class. Has anyone received their medical forms after sending in the deposit?

Hey i can't thank you enough. This past weeks has been one heck of week. The class requires a pre-req thou. so anyone has to register for that one too to get the biomedical class, so thanks. Hopefully i'll be able to help out the next set.

I haven't gotten any medical forms guys but i think it's online. I think it's important to get the first ones done first before August 1. When are we supposed to start anyways?

Good luck Blinkn09 it must be a difficuit thing to do. all the best

Hehe sorry you have to experience such poor professionalism from such "pristine" :laugh: school. But this is not much of a surprise to me. I have come to conclusion that the admission office and even the COP student affairs don't know how to communicate via telephone or email. :eek::laugh: However!, they are quite helpful when you got tired of calling them and go there personally. They are much nicer in person comparing to such "bitchy" personalities over the phone, :D.

Some lady at the financial aid office told me that they are not looking at pharmacy finanical aid status until late June or July. :sleep::thumbdown:

You know watz funny, in 2007 i called for some info from the school about something (can't remem.) and the lady i spoke to was just rude for no reason. I opted out from applying at all. But going for the interview this year, they seemed nice. It's odd.

jtiger504,

i am in the same situation and I am out-state too. plz post if you hear anything from them.

Housing
I have to submit my housing deposit soon and i am thorn between living on campus or finding my own place. Are there any apartments closeby that are safe and all because i know living on campus is expensive too. any advice will be appreciated.

If u stay off campus make sure you have a car, there are not that many places close by to live because of the neighborhood and environment. Most students stay in neighboring cities like metarie or kenner. If you're gonna stay off campus, you will probably end up in one of those cities.

Housing
I have to submit my housing deposit soon and i am thorn between living on campus or finding my own place. Are there any apartments closeby that are safe and all because i know living on campus is expensive too. any advice will be appreciated.

Actually two brand new apartment buildings opened around the school and they are really nice, with alot of amenities. One is called The Preserves and the other is called The Meridian. Check out their websites, you won't be disappointed.

HTH

Also, the health clearance forms are on the website, Im currently in their summer school program for economics and I had to take 2 shots the tetanus and menigitis. Ijust took them last year but Xavier wants them both 6 months prior to registration so make sure your shots are updated. I took both of mine at xavier and it cost me $40 dollars but you could see your personal doctor. They have not taken out the deposits yet because i wrote a personal check and it has not been touch, I went to the school asking about it and just so happen Ms. Nash was next to me and told me don't worry about it, they are still in the process. Hope this info is helpful.:):):):)

loans
Do we have to accept all the sub and unsub loans at once. Also what do we do when the loans are not enough. A little confused.

loans
Do we have to accept all the sub and unsub loans at once. Also what do we do when the loans are not enough. A little confused.

You received your award letter from Xavier already?

Yes i never took out loans for undergrad n need some guidaince but guess i have to call tommorrow and i filled my fafsa out in march if that helps but i guess everyone will receive theirs soon.

Yes i never took out loans for undergrad n need some guidaince but guess i have to call tommorrow and i filled my fafsa out in march if that helps but i guess everyone will receive theirs soon.

You need to look at the actual cost of attendance vs. cost of living and decide how much you will need. I would take the max the first year and see how much is left. The next years you know exactly how much you need after that depending on how much you spend the first year.

HTH