Yaah/Andy/others:Michigan info?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mosche

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been looking through some of the older threads, and have come across Yaah's USMLE scores: WOW! I thought I did okay; but, I guess that's a relative term :eek: !

My question is: "Is that a typical score at the Univ. of Michigan, or would I have a shot with significantly lower scores?" I watch ER, and I know that the "over-achievers" are accepted to UM on TV :laugh: ,but now I feel slightly above average! Don't get me wrong, my scores are acceptable in the south, but what about up north? I need a winter really, really, really bad!

Any help/feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thank you -- in advance-- and the other posts have come to my aid MANY times. MOSCHE

Members don't see this ad.

Hiya Mosche,

As I am a 4th year student like yourself applying to pathology programs as of the moment, I feel I am not nearly as qualified as yaah in answering this question. All I can offer is speculation.

I know yaah got really awesome board scores on both steps...but he's special and is of a different species. As for the other people who match at Michigan, I have no idea what their stats are. However, one of my former housemates got 260-something on his step 1 (dunno what he got on step 2). He was highly sought by Michigan but ended up going to one of the Harvard hospitals (I won't mention which one cuz I don't know if he would want me to volunteer that specific information). Michigan had ranked him highly and he ranked Michigan 2nd. He ended up getting his first choice.

Just from that, I get the impression that it can be quite tough to get into Michigan. However, yaah would be more likely to indicate which scores, grades, etc are likely to enable one to be ranked highly by Michigan.

Also, according to ERAS or NRMP, Michigan fills 4 spots in the match. However, there are 2 other spots that are filled outside the match...they usually are med students from Michigan (e.g., MSTP students who are committed to staying in Ann Arbor or med students who may have extenuating circumstances). I don't know what the picture will look like this year...I guess we'll find out won't we :)

And you had to get me started on that damn ER episode. That episode pissed me off for two reasons:

(1) Michigan wasn't portrayed as malignant as the institution really is (ok ok I'm joking here!)
(2) The Michigan scene shots in the episode was taken from the law school quad. How dare they mistake the law school for the med school!!!! I mean the law students crash our parties, drink all our beer, and confront us with stupid threats of, "I'm gonna be the guy suing you in a couple of years!"...stupid threats easily met by a swift kick in the...

Andy, I don't even think that was the Michigan law school quad. It was the University of Illinois. They filmed there because it was closer to chicago, I guess maybe it just looked like Michigan. That episode bothered me too. This girl expresses seemingly no interest in derm, apparently gets poor clinical grades, does pretty well on step I, and easily matches into one of the best derm programs in the country? Why? What a joke. That show makes me angry.

I don't know if there is a step I average score at Michigan. There are a variety of residents. We have 7 first years this year, although one is someone who matched a couple of years ago but is starting over after taking time off for various reasons. 2 were outside the match positions - one an MSTP and one someone who had graduated early from med school. 4 others (me included) through the match. Smart people. Don't know their board scores. One other also did a PSF year. One was out of medicine for 3 years doing some interesting stuff. The other is a U of M grad. I am sure all did pretty well on the steps. I think, like many programs, they are looking for well rounded people. The director of admissions for the regular med school is a path professor and he tells me all the time how he rejects some candidates that apply to michigan with mcats above 40.

Programs want to see
1) You have an interest in the field.
2) You have demonstrated an interest (via LORs, research, whatever)
3) You are teachable and a good member of the team (again LORs help)
4) You are smart and can pass board exams
5) You know what you are getting into and have thought about it.
6) You work hard.
7) You will reflect well on the program in years to come.

Well, board scores are clearly important. But they are not everything.

I don't know where michigan ranked me. I do know I was ranked highly by other programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
yaah said:
Andy, I don't even think that was the Michigan law school quad. It was the University of Illinois. They filmed there because it was closer to chicago, I guess maybe it just looked like Michigan. That episode bothered me too. This girl expresses seemingly no interest in derm, apparently gets poor clinical grades, does pretty well on step I, and easily matches into one of the best derm programs in the country? Why? What a joke. That show makes me angry.

U of Illinois? If you're right, I guess they did film it at a location that looked a lot like the law quad. A lot of my classmates seemed to think it was shot at the law quad here. Oh well, it's a moot point.

The third issue I had with that episode was the Michigan "M" emblem on the white coats of the "Michigan" doctors. First of all, that emblem looks nothing like the emblems you see on the white coats donned by those who walk the hallways of the Mecca. Also, you'll see med students with the emblem on their short white coats. I never got one because I figured I burn my stupid short stubby white coat after all this is done and all. Perhaps I can burn it today after my LAST fake patient (they call it, simulated patient) exercise. And why the hell do they make us still do these exercises during the clinical years anyway? We see real patients everyday and we still have to talk to fake patients? Shenanigans!

Gentlemen, I thank you for your rapid responses. Andy, I'm sorry if I implied that I am a 4th year; alas, I am a mere M3. Currently, I am trying to work with my rotation advisors to plan away rotations, that's why I'm asking these questions now!

Sorry if I hit on a sore spot with the ER reference -- it's just that I love that show! As a matter of a fact, here are my top 5 episodes:

1) The episode where the nurse falls for the doctor;
2) The episode where the medical school student tells the doctor how to do his job;
3) The episode where there were multiple car wrecks, and Cook had to take all the victims;
4) The following episode where everyone had to work multiple shifts because of all the car wrecks the previous week;
5) My all-time favorite(personally, this episode gave a freckled-faced, dusty haired, boy from the South a dream that can never be taken away from him - no matter where it was filmed) the episode where they pretended to be at one place, but they were, in actuality, at another.

Except for reality television and CSI incarnations, it just doesn't get any better than these!

mosche said:
Gentlemen, I thank you for your rapid responses. Andy, I'm sorry if I implied that I am a 4th year; alas, I am a mere M3. Currently, I am trying to work with my rotation advisors to plan away rotations, that's why I'm asking these questions now!

No problem. My assumption about you being a 4th year student is more my fault than yours. Many times when I post, I'm either really tired or distracted (as you will be when you check ADTS 4283 times a day :) ).

It's great that you're on the ball already regarding your rotations and interests.

BTW, I do enjoy watching ER from time to time. I enjoyed the episode #2 that you mention. I also got a kick when the MD/PhD student had to leave the ER to tend to a gel or something as I can kinda relate.