Yale Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gaspasser

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats to all who matched!!!

Anybody have any ideas why Yale didn't fill before the scramble? New Haven isn't the most exciting city to live in but the program has a very strong rep. and the Chair and PD have been there for a while and don't seem to be looking for another place to go according to the residents. Just curious to why the didn't fill.

Gaspasser:D

Members don't see this ad.

With all due respect, New Haven was a pit and the program does not have the strongest reputation around. They have struggled for the past couple of years to fill slots before the scramble.

This was precisely the same question that I had for the program director when I interviewed there. Maybe my perception of what a "pit" is differs from others, but I didn't think that New Haven was as bad as the locations of some other programs, and most nice suburbs are within driving distance.

Anyhow, I was told that the reason Yale didn't "fill" a couple years ago, with exactly 2 spots also, was that they contracted with a couple people outside the match and those statistics don't show up in the match data. I figured that is what happened again this year, especially since it's the last year that programs will be able to do that. I think that's a more likely explanation for why a strong program didn't supposedly fill.

maybe it has something to do with surgery's accreditation problems. that's why i didn't go to the interview...along with the location.