Yale: Connecticut preference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hindu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not Yale has any instate preference in choosing MD candidates. I remember by just roughly looking at the most recent MSAR, it looked like the percent of applicants interviewed was greater instate, but in the end, the matriculated percentages looked about the same for IS/OOS. The greater percent interviewed for IS might just be coincidence.

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been wondering that myself. They interviewed nearly half of CT applicants according to last year's MSAR, but only 8 matriculated.

I don't know whether Yale has a preference for in-state candidates, but my guess is that they do have a preference for Yale undergrads...so it may be that many of the people who apply in-state happen to be Yalies??? Just a thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also suspect that they might have a preference for Yale legacies, a fair number of who may have permanent addresses in CT because that is where their parents live.

That preference may spell a greater lilkelihood of being interviewed (even as a courtesy) but not translate into offers or matriculation.

I also suspect that they might have a preference for Yale legacies, a fair number of who may have permanent addresses in CT because that is where their parents live.

That preference may spell a greater lilkelihood of being interviewed (even as a courtesy) but not translate into offers or matriculation.

Makes sense.