Yale culture

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HawkeyePostOp

the fort at sidewalk
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The MDPhD factory known as Yale admits hypercompetetive applicants and attempts to chill them out with personal assessments, not having grades, encouraging ski trips on weekends... etc.

Is there any backlash to this? Are curvebreaking junkies falling off the wagon and secretly competing in basements for high practice USMLE scores?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The Yale System is a self-selecting process. They assume (and rightly so) that if you are qualified enough to enter Yale, you have the ability to be responsible for your own future.

Undergrad students get feedback by means of grades. Doctors and surgeons get feedback by results of their interventions, personal feedback, and statistics. Yet Yale can avoid the pathological ranking present in every single other school?

Yale puts out a nice batch of surgical interns every year. Maybe stereotypes have permeated my reasoning, but I can't imagine a surgeon who isn't constantly ranking him or herself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yale is actually only non-graded for the first two years, then moves to a ranked grading system during the clinical years. This is actually not that different from many schools that have a true pass/fail system for the first two years, a policy that is quite common (Harvard does this, WashU does it for the first year). Heck, Stanford doesn't even rank during their clinical years, for four years of true pass/fail (I say true because most every school is pass/fail at least in name, but many rank you anyway). The schools I've previously mentioned are very research-geared, and engendering a collaborative environment is critical for having productive research taking place, even at the student level. If you dredge up the match list for these schools, you can see it certainly doesn't do much harm to their outcomes (Yale matched 3 into neurosurgery and 3 into rad onc last year from a class of 100, just as an example, to say nothing of the optho/derm/ortho matches).

I personally love the idea of no grades during the non-clinical years. The students by this point know how to study and learn book material; there's no sense in adding the additional stress of grades if you accept the fact that the students can be treated as mature individuals who want to become the best physicians they can, rather than just grubbing for grades. I think having some form of assessment during years three and four is critical, since it is largely a new mode of learning for many students, and much more directly reflects your progress as a developing physician than years on and two.

I think you capture something essential about the Yale System when you call the school an MD-PhD factory.

The lack of grading during the non-clinical years fosters the sort of mindset that's more commonly found in Ph.D. programs. In a traditionally graded MD program, the students are always studying for the next exam and know that their efforts will yield immediate short-term results (a good grade or a bad grade on the exam). In a Ph.D. program, however, the short-term rewards are far less tangible. A single gel might not make sense until it's placed in the context of several months/years worth of research. Ph.D. students thus orient themselves to achieve longer-term goals - and cannot exactly "compete" with other grad students to motivate themselves. I think Yale wants ALL of its medical students (not just the MudPhuds) to get a taste of this mindset, which is pretty effective when conducting research projects.

I draw my conclusions partially from the interview circuit, where MD-PhD students from most schools talked about how dramatic a transition it was between M2 and G1, how the pace suddenly slowed tremendously and they now had much more freedom to set their own schedules (Take an afternoon or two off here and there? No problem...at least until you get to G4 and all those hours add up to a less-than-complete project). Not one Yale student mentioned a difficult transition to me. Yale students accustom themselves within the first two years to determining their own study schedules and finding their own motivation absent tests and competition.

...and I'm not going to pretend I'm not biased with this post. I fell passionately in love with Yale from my interview onwards, and can't wait to start there in August.

I fell passionately in love with Yale from my interview onwards, and can't wait to start there in August.

Love at first sight for me too. I'd love to wake up every morning next to Yale Med and I seriously have to prepare for not getting in.

Dunno why I thought this was a thread about cells....

I need to take a break...

Reactions: 1 user