Yale IM - question for residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yogibear18

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd be very grateful if any Yale interns or residents could post their hours -- what time you get in in the mornings and leave at night.

I know it may vary by service, so a range (or specifics if you're willing) would be very helpful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yale:
Gen Med months - interns usually in by 6-630, out on call days by 8, out on non-call days by 630; residents in at 730, out by 630 (unless on call, in which out by 930 AM)
Heme/Onc, Txplnt, Liver - pure day/night float - interns on days from 630 to 7, no nights (that's all resident-run), although interns alternate short/non admit days that wrap up when work is done (can be as early as 4, depending on efficiency as the year goes on)
MICU/CCU - variable but similar to genmed (for MICU) and specialty (for CCU), respectively

VA - interns in by 7 on non-call/day admitting days, sign out to intern nf at 530 or so. We're q4 admit/q8 overnight for interns, so on nights you come in at 630 and stay until abt 10am.

Members don't see this ad :)
That was very helpful, can a resident from the PC program post their hours? I want to know what the difference is between Waterbury and Yale new heaven hospital is since residents spend a lot of their time at Waterbury. Anything helps, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the OP and the reply. I was also wondering if continuity clinic is half day per week, or is yale on some block schedule where are their continuity clinic is lumped into a couple of weeks throughout the year (4+1 or 4+2 etc)?

Thanks for the OP and the reply. I was also wondering if continuity clinic is half day per week, or is yale on some block schedule where are their continuity clinic is lumped into a couple of weeks throughout the year (4+1 or 4+2 etc)?

On my interview day they said they would be going to a 4+2+2 system... Would love to know if this is actually happening before July! And I don't remember what they said the second "+2" would be for... I think EM and electives?

Did anyone applying to the PC track get any unsolicited "we have you in a favorable position" emails or snail mail?

How likely is it to get off of the waiting list for Yale categorical ? How many do they wait-list usually?