Yale Interview- Worst ever

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

titanjones

dat baby dont look likeme
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had two interviewers. The first one was very nice and the interview went well. We hardly spoke about medicine at all and just discussed our life experiences. The second interview sucked. As soon as I walked in the room she asked "i see you have research experience, please describe your projects". I barely caught her name and have no idea who she is. Freaking ridiculous. After I describe my research she asked "why do you want to go into anesthesiology?" In the middle of my second point she interrupts me and begins to pimp me on the patho-physiology of hypovolemia, pathophys and signs of MI intraop, stages of shock, signs of shock, causes of hypotension intra-op, signs of sepsis intra-op. Then the interview ended with "ok thanks its time to go"

Yale? :thumbdown: Meh..

Members don't see this ad.

Dear God, that sounds like a nightmare? My apologies that you had to go through that. Did you speak to any of the other interviewees to see if they had a similar experience?

Anyone know of any other programs that employ this method? That is my nightmare scenario of how my BID interview would go. Has anyone interviewed at BID yet? :eek:

I spoke with a bunch of other interviewees and they said they had good interviews.
My lucky day i guess. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well it has been 4 years since i interviewed there but i had a very similar expierence with one women. Lets say i did not rank them high on my list.

Well it has been 4 years since i interviewed there but i had a very similar expierence with one women. Lets say i did not rank them high on my list.

woman

Irrelevant. If the OP said he had a bad interview with this one guy, you would not respond with

"man"

I had only one or two interviews like that on the interview trail last year. It is unnerving and definitely made me question those programs considering how relaxed most anesthesiology interviews are. but if you otherwise had a good impression from the program, I'd be careful about ranking the program low solely based off of one interviewer. Of course, if other things made you dislike the program, then run far away!

i think he's correcting the grammar ("one woman," not "one women")

chill out baby, it's almost the weekend!

Irrelevant. If the OP said he had a bad interview with this one guy, you would not respond with

"man"

Seinfeld said he had a similar experience with "one women". I think "woman" was just to point out a grammatical error.

I had an interview last week (not Yale) where I was asked about my research. After I stated the study drug and indication of one project, I was quickly accused of lying because it had supposedly been done decades before (it hadn't.) The research was not in the field of Anesthesiology and I had worked on it for years.

I e-mailed her a PDF of the paper. No response yet.

I had an interview like this when I applied to medical school. I think they are just testing your emotional/stress response. I got a little bit upset since I was passionate about the work I had done and went and emailed my interviewer in a similar way with evidence as soon as I could reach a computer.. but the interviewer never wrote back and I got a post-interview rejection from that school which I really wanted to attend.

Point is: don't sweat it, as long as you didn't freak out during the interview and depending on the tone/nature of your email you are probably fine. They probably don't care about the paper at all. How the heck would the interviewer know about your research if it was not in anesthesia?

I had an interview last week (not Yale) where I was asked about my research. After I stated the study drug and indication of one project, I was quickly accused of lying because it had supposedly been done decades before (it hadn't.) The research was not in the field of Anesthesiology and I had worked on it for years.

I had an interview like this when I applied to medical school. I think they are just testing your emotional/stress response. I got a little bit upset since I was passionate about the work I had done and went and emailed my interviewer in a similar way with evidence as soon as I could reach a computer.. but the interviewer never wrote back and I got a post-interview rejection from that school which I really wanted to attend.

Point is: don't sweat it, as long as you didn't freak out during the interview and depending on the tone/nature of your email you are probably fine. They probably don't care about the paper at all. How the heck would the interviewer know about your research if it was not in anesthesia?

Anyone "testing" your emotional response because they think it will translate into a better physician is full of $hit.

I had a similar experience during only one interview and I felt so angry at the whole thing that I swore I'd never personally do nor support that type of interview.

It serves no purpose.

How the heck would the interviewer know about your research if it was not in anesthesia?

She claimed to have background in the field, and switched to anesthesia at some later point. Interestingly, she had zero interest in the research that I did in anesthesia.

I don't really care about how I get evaluated because I'm not planning on ranking the program that highly, particularly after dealing with that. I had heard mixed things about the program so I wanted to check it out for myself.

I highly doubt that she was testing me. I talked to some residents and it seems to be part of her character to jump to conclusions and overlook facts.

I had one interviewer at an undisclosed location ask what my religious preference was...for some reason I thought that was one of those off limits topics in interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Had 1 interivew like that. I walked in there and it was a 15 minute pimp session/lecture. First the interviewer asked me a question, then when I finished answering, started to go into a lecture w/diagrams. Needless to say it was ranked very low on my list

Yale was great for me last year, the residents were very chill, and the program is very solid, hospital top-notch. One of the interviews felt chilly, but looking back, the interviewer was just very thorough. Who knows why that woman interviewed you that way...Maybe her mom died the day before, maybe she was newly dx with cancer. Gotta give some people grace and benefit of the doubt. I'll say this though: overall, Yale had the coolest group of residents combined with the best overall program out of the many places I interviewed.

I just interviewed at Yale this week. Great experience, all of the interviewers were very nice. A rushed interview could be because they have only 5 days and 30+ applicants. Or maybe you gave an answer that left the door wide open for pimping.

:laugh: hilarious x 3 for us, sucks for you eh?

Not sure where you stand with this particular program, but if you know you don't want to go there, I'd send a message to the PD. Tell 'em you thought you were accused without basis, and the conduct of the interviewer was irresponsible and disrespectful.

Of course, I'd suggest doing this AFTER the match, as PDs tend to talk to each other.

Not sure where you stand with this particular program, but if you know you don't want to go there, I'd send a message to the PD. Tell 'em you thought you were accused without basis, and the conduct of the interviewer was irresponsible and disrespectful.

Of course, I'd suggest doing this AFTER the match, as PDs tend to talk to each other.

Yeah, I still wouldn't mind matching there (certainly would prefer that over scrambling) but barring the extraordinary I won't be ranking it higher than #8-10.

Just one piece of advice. Go with your gut not a name. This may be a hint of things to come. All in all pretty malignant place.

Hey all. The best piece of advice I can give you on your interview trail is to speak with as many residents as you can. Even afterwards, email them, PM them, call them....whatever. This will be your best window into a program. I am currently a CA-1 at Yale and I am absolutely ecstatic that I am here. The #1 reason that I wanted to come here is the feel from the residents that I got on my interview day. I felt that everyone was genuine and honest, and they were all truly happy to be here. This has not changed for me since I've been at the program.

I think I may know who the OP interviewed with....but be careful not to let one faculty member sway your feelings.

And I agree with the above poster about not ranking a program solely by name. But also, don't underestimate what a name can do for your future job/fellowship desires either. But I truly disagree with that poster about Yale being malignant. Unless it comes straight from a resident at a particular program, take it with a grain of salt.

Good luck to all, it is an extremely exciting time and it goes fast.

Yale being a malignant program, or having a bad interview day....This is also the exact opposite of anything that I have heard about the program. I interviewed there last year, and went for a second look, and matched for next year. The residents there all seemed to be truly happy, one of the only places where that was uniformly the case.

I think I also had the interviewer that the OP had, and she seems like others have said, to just want to see if you can make a statement, or say you did research, and back it up.

that sucks that you had a bad experience, but like everyone else has said, dont use one interviewer as a end-all gauge. use everything else, ie the residents, faculty as a whole, PD, chair, the hospital, just the entire vibe that you got.

But for everyone else, dont be nervous now about going to interview at Yale, its a great place and a good time. Interviews get old fast, but they do try and make it fun and it is definitley very relaxed.

Just one piece of advice. Go with your gut not a name. This may be a hint of things to come. All in all pretty malignant place.

sounds like an MS4 who is gunning for yale himself

I just posted this on the interview review thread. Thought I would repost here.

I interviewed at Yale on 11/28/07. I was impressed so I thought I would write a review. I went into the interview a little worried due to someone's post about a difficult interview, but this was not the case.

I had a long 13 hour drive from MSU (Michigan) so I was pretty tired when I got there. The hotel was very nice with granite countertops, fireplace, full kitchen, and flat screen TV. Dinner the night before was very cool. It was a relaxed atmosphere. The chief residents did a small powerpoint on life in New Haven which was helpful. Dinner ended by about 9pm.

The next morning started at 6:30am which was grand rounds. It was a real treat to here Dr. Barash speak about the last 52 years of Yale anesthesiology. Some amazing advances in anesthesiology have been done at Yale. Then Dr. Schwarz (PD) gave us a presentation about the program and Dr. Hines (chair) talked about Yale anesthesiology. Also were brief lectures about resident education and research opportunities. We (~36 applicants) were then split into groups. Some of us toured the facilities, some spoke with residents, and others interviewed. There were two 25 minute interviews. My interviews were very relaxed (with no pimping). The day was finished at about 1:45pm.

The true strength of the program is the PD, Chair, and faculty. Dr. Schwartz is relatively new to the position and has hit the ground running. He is very approachable and seemed very responsive to resident's needs. Dr. Hines seems really involved with the residents and is one of the nicest chairs I have met so far. These two people are the most valuable assets to the program. They make resident education their priority which is the most important thing for me looking at different programs. The program in general seemed very responsive to resident's ideas and feedback. The faculty are excellent, some are known around the world (Barash, just to name one). Lots of research going on here, and there have been over 20 textbooks written by faculty. In summary, faculty and administration are totally dedicated to resident education.

The residents were very bright, yet down to earth. (I spoke to one of them about the Transformers movie!) They said that on an average day they expected to be there at 6:15am and out by 5pm. All residents were very happy from what I could see.

New Haven seems like a nice place to live. This is a personal preference however. Yale University is there of course, campus is really nice. There are lots of restaurants, bars, stores around the downtown area. I'm sure there are some bad parts of the city, but I did not see them while I was there. About half of the residents live within walking distance of the hospital. The rest own houses outside the city.

In conclusion, the strengths of the program perfectly match what I am looking for and therefore I will be ranking it very highly. I know that my fiancé and I would be extremely happy here. People all too often ignore their gut feeling when looking at different programs. Just remember that although a program is a great fit for somebody, doesn't mean it is a great fit for everybody. That is why "rankings" of programs are sometimes irrelevant and arbitrary.

They have a really informative website, so check it out before you interview. I tried to keep this review short and sweet, but letme know if I left anything out!

I interviewed at an Ivy recently (not Yale) where during the middle of what I thought was a good interview, the interviewing doc turned to me and said, "Your files is strong, but I just get the feeling that you will get passed over and overlooked in the interview process because you are so laid back." I actually laughed at him thinking he was joking. The question pissed me off when I realize he wasn't.

How am I supposed to take that? I got asked a similar question in the next interview.

wait, he asked you why you were so laid back? as opposed to what? what did you say?

I just had two crappy interviews out of four at a top ten institution. I really don't understand the underlying purpose of being a complete douche during an interview. It makes me not want to rank them at all, let alone highly. I wonder if some of us are just singled out or if that is how they interview everyone, just to test them.

:beat:

I personally would like to know what makes a program think I'm going to rank them highly when I sit down and they thumb through my file while asking "what questions do you have?", basically giving away that they know nothing about me and have not bothered to take the five or so minutes to flip through my file and know SOMETHING about me before I enter the room....

....I pay to fly across the country, get my butt up at 6 am to look shiny and happy for you....perhaps have an idea what school I'm even coming from? I don't know, just an idea.

Yeah, that has happened way too many times. Which is why I wonder how they even decide who to interview.

Cynical view of my Yale interview

(1) Drink as much as you can during dinner.
(2) After dinner go with residents to bars and repeat (1)
(3) Watch female interviewees go home with less intoxicated male residents
(4) Wishing there were female residents to go home with
(5) Dept. chair says "we prefer residents who like to have a good time"
(6) Wondering why they ever thought a dork like me would be confused with someone who knows how to have a good time.
(7) Wondering if I don't get a rejection letter if my liver could handle Yale.

(6) Wondering why they ever thought a dork like me would be confused with someone who knows how to have a good time.

Perhaps Utah is more your speed? Plus you can have like, I dunno, 3-5 chunky wives. And they love dorks.:hardy:

:laugh:

Sounds like an interesting interview. Tell us more!

Perhaps Utah is more your speed? Plus you can have like, I dunno, 3-5 chunky wives. And they love dorks.:hardy:

I didn't apply to Utah. They must be well known for their professionalism? Is that why you said that?

I showed your comments to a fellow interviewee who was from Utah and he said that you are an ignorant BIGOT with comments like that. It really upset him.

I guess I am ignorant too because I didn't know how to take your comments.

I didn't apply to Utah. They must be well known for their professionalism? Is that why you said that?

I showed your comments to a fellow interviewee who was from Utah and he said that you are an ignorant BIGOT with comments like that. It really upset him.

aabf18_sarcasm_detector.jpg

serious.jpg

Uhh.....ok. Guess that person really does belong in Utah. I also guess that the old "sense of humor" gene is lacking in that individual.

You know, when someone takes it personally its because something is hitting dangerously close to home.

Uhh.....ok. Guess that person really does belong in Utah. I also guess that the old "sense of humor" gene is lacking in that individual.

You know, when someone takes it personally its because something is hitting dangerously close to home.

VENTDEPENDENT I agree, if you are that offended by what is obvious sarcasm then perhaps there is some internal reason for your sensitivity.

Perhaps this is why the guy from Utah was so offended? http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22087867/

dude, relax bro. cant you take a joke.

VENTDEPENDENT I agree, if you are that offended by what is obvious sarcasm then perhaps there is some internal reason for your sensitivity.

Perhaps this is why the guy from Utah was so offended? http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22087867/

if you see a guy from Utah on the interview trail, you should show that to him.

Sorry, I just didn't know how to take VENTDEPENDENTs thread and but I was sure a MOD wouldn't write anything BIGOTED. I have since learned that the "joke" was pointed at the predominant religion of Utah. There aren't of them where I come from. It reminds me of visiting distant relatives years ago in South Dakota. They said similar things about blacks and Jews. I didn't understand those "jokes" either.

Sorry, I just didn't know how to take VENTDEPENDENTs thread and but I was sure a MOD wouldn't write anything BIGOTED. I have since learned that the "joke" was pointed at the predominant religion of Utah. There aren't of them where I come from. It reminds me of visiting distant relatives years ago in South Dakota. They said similar things about blacks and Jews. I didn't understand those "jokes" either.

When did I mention religion or race? Please point that out to me. Actually don't.

Did you know that Utah has decreased ETOH levels in their beer and spirits? Hence the decreased chance you'll get wasted...unless you pay some jerkoff professional drunk to "sponsor" you to get hammered at a bar. No thanks.

From what I've read, its the only state which allows for Polygamy.

So, what have I said that wasn't true? Perhaps nothing. Too bad I get to have an opinion huh?

You too, lack a sense of humor. Have fun getting constantly offended by surgeons for your entire career with that gossamer skin of yours.

Maybe he's a polyglot.

Man, if you're rattled by what I thought was a pretty funny line, you are going to love the intern year.

From what I've read, its the only state which allows for Polygamy.

They may "allow for" polygamy, but it certainly isn't legal. As a Libertarian, I clearly believe it should be.

Ron Paul for President.

-copro

No state allows Polygamy including Utah.

Thanks for keeping this going! How exciting!

My turn,

So....they (the local lawmen) don't look the other way for those folks who are keeping the gene pool tight over in those little "townships."

WHo is going to sue/actively persue litigation against the polygamist? Their brainwashed wives? Doubtful.

Why haven't I heard of this practice being more common in other states?

Awww screw it.

SOme folks can't take a joke.

Maybe I have a big mouth/large keyboard.

Enoughs enough.

Frankly I dont CARE if Utah even allows barnyard frenzy style porns to be filmed downtown.

Status
Not open for further replies.