Yale, post-2nd look, c/o 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calisunnyhome

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow, the faculty and students really impressed me at the 2nd look weekend. Every student I met was so interesting,very down to earth, and really nice. I was debating between some great Cali schools and Yale, but I think Yale shines out from the rest.

The talent show was frekin awesome!

How do the rest of you feel after 2nd look?...the one's that were still deciding between Yale and other great schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Exactly the opposite of you, but then, my second look was last year :D Maybe if it was this year they coulda won me over.

2nd look was awesome! best part was definitely the Borat parody. And Mr. Silverman is an outstanding director of admissions. Dean Alpern was also amazing.

With the Anlyan Center complete, the Amistad Research Building opening next month, the Cancer Hospital opening in early 2009, and a third new medical research building in the planning stages now, Yale Med will be ranked #2-4 in the next couple years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, 2nd look was amazing; everything about the school is phenomenal. Thanks to all the 1st years for putting in so much time and energy to making it such an unforgettable experience. I realized that New Haven is actually a really cool place to live as well.

I honestly didn't think I would go to Yale before attending 2nd look, but now there's a good chance I will be there in the fall. I can't imagine finding a med school with a more supportive or relaxed atmosphere than at Yale.

It's definitely going to be a tough decision though. UCSF is also a great school and very hard to pass up. Coming to Yale would definitely be a BIG change from CA. I'm caught right in the middle right now. It was great talking to other Cali people struggling with the same decision. Please keep us updated on your thoughts and your final decision. In the end though, it's going to come down to what do YOU really want? Are you going to be able to embrace the change and view the new environment as an opportunity to grow? Or are you going to constantly be wishing you were back in CA and complaining about the weather in New Haven? Are you going to be able to handle being away from family and friends or do you need this support structure? I'm currently struggling with these issues right now. It's tough because there are no clear answers.

Regarding the previous post, is it really likely that Yale's ranking will increase significantly based on these changes? Jumping from 8 to 2 doesn't really seem feasible, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Wah wah wah, another Cali crybaby. Grow up and leave the nest. The new england weather won't kill you. Some people just aren't cut out for the ivy league.

lol, dude you are hella crazy! haha.... chill out bro, relax.

California is absolutely beautiful, and there is so much to do here. Besides UCSF, Stanford and UCLA have just as good if not better Medical Programs and Hospitals than most of the Ivys.

Be happy dude, life is to short to be miserable :)

dude, hella, bro, chill, dude, bro, dude, hella.

hey everybody,
i'm still deciding b/t yale and wash u but, unfortunately, could not attend either of the second looks.
i'd love to hear people's impressions after yale's second look:
what do people think about the clinical years, the yale system, thesis requirement, etc?

any feedback would be really helpful -
thanks!

hi everyone,

i was just at stanfords second look and did not go to yales. i thought stanford was awesome - but definitely also liked yale a lot when i went for my interview. did anyone go to both/get an impression of both? which one would u choose? (keep in mind i am from the east coast and know absolutely no one on the west coast..) thanks!

hey guys,

re: Stanford's 2nd look; I know a few people that went to both Yale and Stanford's, and said they were both great programs, and similar in many ways. The dude that's from Cali said he's leaning towards Yale to get the experience of the east coast, and return to Cali for residency. Either way, it's a win-win situation.

I'm still on the fence about living in CA vs. CT. In the end, I will just go w/ my gut feeling.

Good luck to everyone else trying to decide between Yale vs. -X-

With the Anlyan Center complete, the Amistad Research Building opening next month, the Cancer Hospital opening in early 2009, and a third new medical research building in the planning stages now, Yale Med will be ranked #2-4 in the next couple years.

Well, yes, assuming other schools aren't building anything at all, which of course they are. It's like a treadmill. You have to keep on running just to stay in the same place.

I am also amongst those who were super impressed by Yale after the 2nd look weekend. The students were absolutely amazing, some of the nicest, most interesting and laid back group of people I have met in the past couple years...the kind of people you want to be your friends. The faculty was also very down to earth (they were impressive individuals, but did not let that get to their head). Some of them actually came down and had drinks with the students during the "Club Pre-med" social at night. The yale system is also fantastic and liberating in the sense that it ensures you that Yale is about helping you learn rather than memorize and compete with your classmates. What I also really loved about Yale, was its sense of community; the fact that you were part of a greater whole and the people around you whether they be those in the school of arts, architecture, or those in the law school are all amazing, interesting, and the best in their field. I found that very refreshing and inspiring.
I would say Yale is a very unique and special place, but it might not be the right place for everybody (due to its system and so forth). For me, it just fit and I knew it by the end of the weekend.

Good luck everyone with your decisions.

Does anybody know when the white coat ceremony is for Yale?