Yale secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lady in red

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, you will think i am an idiot, but i completely forgot about that yale secondary, until i got their 'deadline' email notice. anybody remember the exact wording of their essay? their website is not working, and the deadline is Monday!!!!!!!!!!
thanks people

Members don't see this ad.

You're kidding! Looks like we're in the same boat, lady in red. I also completely forgot about the Yale secondary. I haven't really been on top of things lately, and all of these deadlines seem to be just slipping by. So, what are we supposed to do if the website isn't working?

I am glad I am not alone in this circle of procrastinators (no offense, I am right there with you)!! The essay ? asks you to "discuss your interest in the Yale University School of Medicine. You may also use this section to bring to attention of the Admissions Committee any information not discussed elsewhere, if you feel the information is important to the Committee's understanding of your application." Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot, my fellow procrastinators!!!!!!!! :D :D

the website is most likely being bogged bown (and perhaps even crashed) by all of the rest of the procrastinating Yale hopefuls trying to submit their info last minute... looks like we will have to set the alarm for the wee hours of the a.m. to get a time when the server is not so busy :rolleyes: I guess my new-years resolution has never really taken effect (I vow to stop procrastinating every year, but I keep procrastinating on actually making any drastic lifestyle changes.... maybe next year)

Paisley, i would just keep trying that damn website; anyone else can't access it or just me?
As far as procrastinations go, i already filled out like 40 damn secondaries, so there were a few 'obscure' ones, like, of course, yale and harvard, that i forgot about, b/c i thought i don't have a chance there anyways. How else can I justify procrastination? well, august MCAT and verification by AMCAS just a week ago or so. I have no other excuses! :D :D :D

Sorry to hear about your plight guys. I don't want to sound negative, but if the site is not up and running by Monday, I'm sure the admissions office wouldn't mind if you faxed in or emailed your essay. You could just give them a call first to let them know to expect it. Good luck :)

I am an Aug. MCAT taker too, and I just got verified 11/14.... have only completed a lowly 10 secondaries :eek: , and still have no excuse except maybe senior-itis... I am finally getting my BS after 6 years of undergrad (pathetic huh?? I did change my major though... nothing like having 85 quarter units that don't "count" for anything anymore... at least I can say that I have a well rounded undergrad education) Of course the fact that I chose this quarter to take my upper-division writing class may have a little to do with my apathy for writing essays of any sort, no matter what their length.

Are you guys sure the Yale Secondary is due on Monday? On their website it says that the supplement is due on November 15th.

I'm a horrid procrastinator and thought I missed the deadline so I didn't do the supplement yet. I did not recieve notification that it was due on Monday. Can someone please paste the e-mail of confirm that teh supplement is due on Monday? Thanks!!!!

Hey dragon,
their email got delivered in my Yahoo trash pile and was erased, but if you go to the secondary website, they say it there in red letters that you have until Monday the 26th until like 11:59 pm EST to submit it. Trust me!!!!!

Eek! I can't get online either... It looks like I'll have to be up tonight until like 3 AM to wait until their server is free. Scary stuff.

They are pretty good people there, though. I had some problems getting my reference letters down there by the deadline (when it was still Nov. 15th) and they just told me to send them in whenever. So, I'm guessing if their site is offline all weekend, they'll extend the deadline by a bit.

I'm still not sure exactly what I'm going to write in that essay slot. I hate vague essays... It looks like I'll have a fun time tonight! ;)

man, that secondary is still down, what the hell... i even wrote that painful essay. as far as i remember they said something about Nov. 26 being a "firm" deadline.

Whew... It's working fine for me now. I was starting to get a bit worried...

They have been more insistent with this deadline than with letters and other supplementary materials, but given that they already pushed forward the deadline once, I would imagine that if there was some sort of serious problem, that they would move the deadline again.

Hopefully it'll still be working tonight when I'm done with my essay, and I'll never have to worry about that!

Here are those questions you wanted:

Check yes if your college education has not been continuous over successive years, or if you have discontinued your education for more than four weeks, please indicate the reason

Please use this section to write an essay in which you discuss your interest in Yale University School of Medicine. You may also use this section to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee any information not discussed elsewhere, if you feel the information is important to the Committee's understanding of your application. (Maximum of 6000 characters)

Coalboy, first of all, thanks, i finally accessed the site. I wanted to ask you--since you graduated in 1998, does that count as "interruption of education"? i just graduated in May 2001 and i am not sure whether to answer this essay question.

lady in red,

If it helps you any, I didn't check that box even though I graduated in 1996. I made the assumption that they were looking to see if I had ever dropped out of school or something like that. My discussion of what I have done since 1996 is apparent in my personal statement and discussion of why I am choosing Yale. Hope that helps you out. Cheers.

Coalboy, first of all, thanks, i finally accessed the site. I wanted to ask you--since you graduated in 1998, does that count as "interruption of education"? i just graduated in May 2001 and i am not sure whether to answer this essay question.••

I checked no, because technically, there have been no interruptions; I have taken classes every semester since graduating. All the same, I put an explanation there saying, "While my education has been continuous, blah blah blah" (Not my exact words :) )

Coalboy,
sorry for being nosy--did you take classes to improve GPA or just for the hell of it? i graduated, but really want to get back in school; i don't really need to pull up my GPA that much, its alright, just want to keep learning new stuff. thanks for your reply

No, not to improve my GPA. I simply hadn't taken any of the pre-med classes during my regular undergraduate time. I majored in computer science, and didn't decide until later that I wanted to get into medicine. Actually, it actually did end up improving my GPA, but that wasn't the primary intention. :)