Yale vs. Mayo Clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJ4

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know this topic is an all too often one, but I was curious what your thoughts were between these two schools if one were to choose.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd go for Yale, personally. I didn't apply to Mayo, actually. I think I would like to do my residency at Mayo (close to home, in a sense), and I have heard from doctors that Mayo is known much more for it's very strong residency program then they are for their medical school.

And, the Yale system as a whole seems to take the pressure off students. And, I still think there is a disadvantage to Mayo being a strictly medical/health care school from a research point of view. My research background is in Physics, and I'd like to do research in Biophysics or Biomedical engineering, and at a school like Yale, you can benefit from the expertise of the Physics or Engineering departments...

Anyway, both great schools. Going back, I wish I had applied to Mayo (biggest regret about this whole process thus far), because I would be very happy with either. And like I said, I haven't interviewed at Yale yet, so I can't really say too much about the campus/atmosphere...

True. From a research perspective Mayo is not quite the base station. But from the clinical standpoit, from what I hear, Mayo students are looked upon VERY positively by the Mayo residency directors. In any case I guess both are comparable schools. But I agree that research seems to be a bit better at Yale although the immunology department at Mayo is very highly regarded.

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all both of the schools are great. I spent two summers working at Mayo and the research environment was wonderfull. Money is NEVER a limitation and resources are endless(they have every core that you can imagine). Another key that you need to have in mind about the rankings is that Mayo is a fairly new medical school when you compare it to Yale. Thus, Yale has a "better" reputation in terms of medical school as it has many more graduates than Mayo.
The med students there are very collaborative and there is no competence. Needless to say, they have a top hospital which is known around the world and they receive a lot of those one in a million clinical cases from around the world.
Also, it is very cheap!!! You can be sure that with the scholarship that they give to everybody that attends the school you will only have to pay around 5k per year...Super cheap!

The city isn't great. People that live there either work at Mayo or at IBM. But you have Twin Cities at around one hour away so that is not to bad. I don't know much about the particular location of Yale so I can not comment more on that topic.

About your physics interest, they do have a lot of biomedical enginering (don't know much about biophysics). Their biomechanics lab are amazing and they are developing a lot of cool stuff. I suggest you look at the BME website and see for yourself. <a href="http://www.mayo.edu/bme/labs.htm" target="_blank">http://www.mayo.edu/bme/labs.htm</a>

Well, I hope I shed some light in your decission. As you can see I personally would choose it over other Top 10 schools.

If I can be of any further help, let me know.

RetroMan

Originally posted by RetroMan:
•The med students there are very collaborative and there is no competence.
RetroMan•••

Haha...Just had to laugh at that :)
I know what you were trying to say...but it's hilarious what actually came out

:D :D :D

Originally posted by Scooby Doo:

Haha...Just had to laugh at that :)
I know what you were trying to say...but it's hilarious what actually came out

:D :D :D •••

I read it over, and didn't even notice it... But ya, there appears to be a bit of a difference in the meaning between competence and competition.

Anyway, point well taken about the bioengineering at Mayo. I didn't know about that aspect of their program. Yale has a pretty strong reputation as far as biophysics is concerned, so you don't have me quite won over yet.

Like I said before, my biggest regret is not applying to Mayo. I would still choose Yale over Mayo, but they're both amazing schools and I would be very happy with either.

Tough choice!

If it were me, I'd go with Yale. If you can swing the self-discipline, the Yale system would be an awesome way to study medicine. Besides, you'd have New York just a stone's throw away for those evenings when you just can't study. Both schools would certainly train you to be a wonderful doctor, but if you're considering a career in academia, I'd stick with Yale.

I think the small class size at Mayo (40?) would bug me a little. I'd feel a little trapped being in such a small class, and (having lived in MN for a long time) I'd also feel isolated in Minnesota.

Best of luck,
doepug

With all these XX vs. XX threads, I've been tempted to start my own, e.g. :

Godzilla vs. Mothra
Liston vs. Patterson
Decepticons vs. Autobots

etc...

But I know it would immediately be moved to the lounge. Oh well.