Yale vs. UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

williewaylon

Reaction score
Hi all - long time lurker, first-time poster. I have narrowed down my options to these two and would appreciate any thoughts/input on them as I have to pick in a few days... Both will cost about the same so finances are not really a deciding factor here. I am also very open-minded going into medical school, but have interests in ortho/sports medicine, something neuro, health policy, and global health. Also, maybe a dual degree (MPH or MBA specifically). Though, these are definitely all subject to change.

Yale

Pros
- Closer to friends and parents (though lived away from family for 8 years so can get by without being nearby)
- Better for dual degrees/health policy?
- Yale system really clicked with me
- University system where I can engage in other areas (audit classes, etc.)
- Lower cost of living
- Name outside of medicine (I know people will want to grill me for this - but if I pursue policy or something where the name is important, I feel like this is a big factor)
- Awesome global health opportunities

Cons
- Clinical training? (I've heard it thrown around on SDN that the clinical training is subpar but is this really true?)
- New Haven
- Less prestigious in medicine than UCSF?

UCSF

Pros
- Closer to brother (so family near to both places)
- Love the people here > really clicked with current and prospective students
- San Francisco
- Seems relatively chill (but less so than Yale?) and supportive
- Opens any and all doors/higher ranked
- Amazing clinical training
- MPH with Berkeley (and sounds like you can take a year off to pursue a degree anywhere - from SF to Boston)

Cons
- No larger university system to engage with
- Cost of living
- Less of a name outside of medicine
- Curriculum more stressful than Yale system?

Please help!! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you will be happier at Yale. The prestige won't make a difference in medicine imo, but definitely if you are looking for a doctor+something else type of role in the future. Congrats!!