Yale vs. UT Southwestern program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Samanta

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I need your oppinion on how the UT Southwestern pathology residency program compares to Yale program. Which one is better and more prestigous? Did anyone ever interviewed there? Please let me know if you have some advice.

How can you in general find out how the programs really rank?
Thank you for your input

Members don't see this ad.

yaah said:
Stop right there. Seriously.

Prestige is so overrated I don't even know where to start.
If you're gonna be a clinician, prestige is so overrated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would talk with other residents at your school and attendings. Most are straight up. I'm biased because I want to go to UT Southwestern (UTSW), so I think UTSW is the better place. Why? Several reasons: first I like Dallas much more than New Haven, not only is the weather soo much better but Dallas is a rocking place (I'm single) and its just a cool city, with everything you could want. I've been to New Haven and it sucks, its not as bad during the school year because you have all the undergrads present but even then there is nothing going on. Secondly, I think Yale sometimes tries to get by just on its name and I think path is a good example. There program just dosent compare to UT Southwestern. For instance they only have one neuropathologist at Yale and I think UTSW has 6. Also UTSW has a more progressive program with a new "translational program" and other cool path programs. I could go on but you will have to visit both and make up your own mind. Oh yeah I also think that the UTSW residents dont work near as hard as the Yalies.

That being said of course Yale has the bigger name but UT Southwestern is not too shabby. I think Yale medical school was ranked 13 or 14 this year and UTSW was 17, so they are close. Also I think UTSW is moving up the rankings whereas Yale is still holding on to the past.

But see for yourself.

Good luck

Samanta said:
Hi Guys,

I need your oppinion on how the UT Southwestern pathology residency program compares to Yale program. Which one is better and more prestigous? Did anyone ever interviewed there? Please let me know if you have some advice.

How can you in general find out how the programs really rank?
Thank you for your input

Comparing Yale to UTSW is a bit odd. They are geographically disparate and not really competitors. And truthfully, while Yale may be a great med school, the pathology department is not as highly regarded. It is a good program, to be sure, but not one of the huge names in path as it is in medical education. However, for those among you who "have" to have an ivy league name somewhere in their resume, it certainly fits in there. Yale does have a lot of supporters though, there may not be any on this forum but I have heard good things as well.

p.s. The word "prestigious" is not allowed on this forum.

yaah said:
Comparing Yale to UTSW is a bit odd. They are geographically disparate and not really competitors. And truthfully, while Yale may be a great med school, the pathology department is not as highly regarded. It is a good program, to be sure, but not one of the huge names in path as it is in medical education. However, for those among you who "have" to have an ivy league name somewhere in their resume, it certainly fits in there. Yale does have a lot of supporters though, there may not be any on this forum but I have heard good things as well.

Instead of Looking at a name of a place..... Try to look at things that really matter.

1) Number of case
2) Variety of cases
3) Fellowships
4) Mentoring opportunities
5) Proximity to a comprehensive cancer center
6) Resident life
7) Resident hours
8) Community (city size, affordability, travel requirements)
9) Subspecialty vs general path sign out
10) Research opportunities (clinical and basic science)
11) Resident support (book fund, Conference fund, etc)
12) CP duties and exposure
13) Frozen section exposure
14) Learning vs scut grossing exposure
15) Conferences, journal clubs, didactics, Grand rounds exposure
16) Career guidance and support

This list can go on and on....

You are spending four years of your life somewhere....

Please look beyond "brand names" when you are shopping.

Shop carefully because at this stage in the game a big name for the wrong reason could be torture.....

yaah said:

Yaah, what are the huge names in path??? :confused:

Samanta said:
Yaah, what are the huge names in path??? :confused:

:laugh:

This should be good. While you're at it, you should ask yaah what it takes to get a dermpath fellowship.

yaah said:

MAKE UP YOUR MIND YAAH ABOUT PRESTIGE - HERE IS A MESSAGE YOU POSTED IN THE NYC PROGRAMS SECTION. According to you Mt. Sinai and Cornell programs ARE prestigious. So I guess you are the only one who is allowed to use this workd in the forum

As I posted in the "harvard programs" thread, the search function can be your friend.

There are two schools of thought on the NYC programs

1) NYC is the greatest city on earth, and the path programs are awesome particularly Mt Sinai which has the biggest volume of any place and is therefore prestigious, and Cornell which has an affiliation with MSKCC which therefore makes it prestigious

2) NYC programs suffer in relative terms in regards to the programs to the east and to the south (Boston, Hopkins, Philly, etc). The glory days of AP Stout et al are long gone and the NYC programs are not as committed to education as in the past.

I belong to the latter group, but then again I don't really like NYC and wouldn't live there unless I made $10 million a year.
:laugh: :laugh:

Samanta said:
MAKE UP YOUR MIND YAAH ABOUT PRESTIGE - HERE IS A MESSAGE YOU POSTED IN THE NYC PROGRAMS SECTION. According to you Mt. Sinai and Cornell programs ARE prestigious. So I guess you are the only one who is allowed to use this workd in the forum

As I posted in the "harvard programs" thread, the search function can be your friend.

There are two schools of thought on the NYC programs

1) NYC is the greatest city on earth, and the path programs are awesome particularly Mt Sinai which has the biggest volume of any place and is therefore prestigious, and Cornell which has an affiliation with MSKCC which therefore makes it prestigious

2) NYC programs suffer in relative terms in regards to the programs to the east and to the south (Boston, Hopkins, Philly, etc). The glory days of AP Stout et al are long gone and the NYC programs are not as committed to education as in the past.

I belong to the latter group, but then again I don't really like NYC and wouldn't live there unless I made $10 million a year.
:laugh: :laugh:

Actually, he said he belonged to the latter group (option number 2).

Samanta said:

Ever hear of being tongue in cheek? I give you my solemn word: The only times I ever use the word "prestige" is either when I am making fun of prestige ******, or when I am pretending to be a prestige ***** in order to make fun of prestige ******. I have no freaking clue if Mt Sinai and Cornell are prestigious. I know one of the attendings at Cornell and she is top shelf. But you know what? You make your own prestige. If you're a ******* and you go to whatever place is considered the best and you act high and mighty and don't work hard, you're still going to be a *******. If you go to a lower tier place and work hard you will do well. "Prestige" is a manufactured word that exists so that certain people are able to feel good about themselves and have something to shoot for, because they can't find enough motivation on their own. If that sounds harsh, I'm sorry, but that's basically how I feel.

In regards to who the big names are in path - well, basically look at who the authors of major textbooks are. There you are. If you want subspecialty experts, look at the authors of AFIP fascicles or WHO books or the chapters within these textbooks. Or alternatively, you could wait until you take the pathology board exam and they will be the ones proctoring your exam, oddly enough.

yaah said:
Or alternatively, you could wait until you take the pathology board exam and they will be the ones proctoring your exam, oddly enough.

So would that make them proctologists? Ben Dover :D