yay PSU THON!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ABSOLUTsher07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, just wanted to say how proud I am of my fellow PSUers for raising $5.2 million dollars for kids with cancer through this years Dance MaraTHON! Wooo hooooo

Members don't see this ad.

That is fantastic! Great work! What exactly is this Dance Marathon, is it a contest sort of thing as to who dances the longest?

That is fantastic! Great work! What exactly is this Dance Marathon, is it a contest sort of thing as to who dances the longest?

http://www.thon.org/

Largest student-run philanthropy in the world. Raises money year round for the four diamonds fund, a charity that provides total financial support for families of children with cancer for the duration of the sickness, including all medical treatment, social work, etc. Also funds research at Penn State Hershey and pays salaries of paediatric oncologists

The actual event is a 48 hour no-sleeping, no sitting dance marathon. "Dancers" are the students who have raised money for THON throughout the year. Most are representatives of large orgs, greek life and other clubs.

After this year the event will have raised over $46 million total, all by the work of college kids. Nothing can compare to it.

43w58w8.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
good grief! that is a lot of hard work and money raised. kudos to you guys!

Way to go!! Looking forward to being apart of it next year!!

ATO/ZTA raised the most again this year for the 12th year in a row! $290,000 for the kids!

:) I am part of the UPUA up here at Penn State... it's the University Park Undergrad Association... anyway, I got on the floor for a while and have a few good friends that were dancers. What those students did was absolutely amazing. 5.2 million dollars is a record high!

I honestly was standing there in the last few hours yesterday with my faith in humanity restored... With all of the violence and hatred today, it really was amazing to see THOUSANDS of people united around a good cause.. helping children afflicted with cancer. I don't know how to describe it.. I wish I had been involved with THON over the last four years. I wish that THON garnered more national attention, because it deserves it. I am seroiusly considering busting my ass in med school and applying for a ped onc position at PSU Hershey...

Then, I left and people were honking and cutting each other off in the parking lot and I remembered that humans are bittersweet at best ;)