yeah !! got my scores today 99 %ile

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentok

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi friends
i'm so happy i scored 99 -comp score in NBDE-1 . i had appeared on june 10 ,2009...........its a dream come true.:laugh::laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Melary,
I am also preparing for the test.....I just want to suggest to you that knowing from the basic is REALLY important.......it will definitely help you in your test.....because the test tests your BASIC KNOWLEDGE......So it is not a waste of time.......it really helps

Hey thanks bddsgirl.... for the advise ..... USMLE videos may be vast .....but I can understand stuff unlike the NBDE Kaplan review book.....

these lectures may help but they are way beyond NBDE. they
will clear ur concepts ,as i viewed them ,but they r not helpful so to save time and be focussed limit ur target

Thanks for taking time to reply to me. Is it okay if I view all USMLE videos ...... then limit my study .....I like these videos, they help me with my basics which I had long forgotten. Did u view all the videos too????

Members don't see this ad :)
friends 5% means something :luck:
for example if a person scores 330 he may score 93% on the other hand ,
if a person scores 98 or 99 the difference is 5-6% :)

thank you for the clearance i wonder which subject comes more in the exam
i hear people talking all the time about biochem and how they used extra books
is it because their is more biochem questions in the exam than other sections or because they r harder and is it enough studying biochem only from decks and kaplan.

hey dentok,
congratulations..my name is nikhil.what is the format of the previous question papers u had?was it online or sumthing..can u please lemme know ur email id or if possible cn u pls send me a mail on [email protected] nikhl and nt nikhil..it would be grt if u cud oblige.

Thanx

Thank you very much....You are really very helping by answering all the questions for all the students.Thanks......
That's great personailty................
hi dentbaby,
it is true that i studied lippincott 3-4 times and that really helped but don't bother if u got less time but at the same time I also did NBDE review book if u r talking of Kaplan's ( no doubt this is too small proportion of what should be read ).
by latest q's i meant from ASDA H-M
but u can do all it doesn't bother much if u do the rest of them subject wise

Hey dentok! frm where did u do patho apart frm kaplan nbde review book? thanks fr taking out time and replying

u really got unbelievable , excellent score....... ws that ur first trial ?
how do u like kaplan classes.....? is it worth taking it ?

Hi DDS 79,

There is a lot of difference between the latest and the older ones.It is better for you to read from new decks.Because it orients you to reading trickish questions.It's my view.It depends on person to person.

Hey there..

I am so confused about the old & new dental decks.As of now I got 2007 dental decks & retaking my exam in 3 months.I really wanna know if the newer dental decks is really worth buying as I working very hard towards cracking the boards.I would really appreciate your very honest suggestion.

Thanks!

Hi,
I did not gp through old decks.I am studying only new decks.So I can not really guide you.But my frens said that the pattern of questions is changed a lot but not the answers.All the best for you....................
Hey there..

I am so confused about the old & new dental decks.As of now I got 2007 dental decks & retaking my exam in 3 months.I really wanna know if the newer dental decks is really worth buying as I working very hard towards cracking the boards.I would really appreciate your very honest suggestion.

Thanks!

Honestly i compared the two and only found small tiny differences if any
i didnt see the new trcisk ur talking about if you compare the cards i can say that 95% of the cards are identical if not more an the other ones are just slightly modified with no info added

Hi there..

Could you please tell me if it's really worth buying 2009-2010 dental decks.I am retaking my exams in 3 months & want to be really thorough with the preparation.

Thanks!

Hi Dentok,
Thanks for sugesstion.
I hope you will acheive a great success in your future.
I m also from India.
Again thanks for your prompt response.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did my physiology from pocket companion to guyton and hall
and kaplan then decks:idea:
Iam very much dissapointed with my score ,even though i have written part 1 twice ,just stuck up at 80.
I have copleted 06-07 decks , first aid asda ,previous papers and old kaplan review book
Will u please help me to improve my score
and studt habbit
do I need to take kaplan 3 months course
and is it compulsory to buy new decks
where will i find new asda questions:(

HI dentok,

Can you please tell me if you had done every chapter in lippincot or just the selected ones?

Thanks...

Iam very much dissapointed with my score ,even though i have written part 1 twice ,just stuck up at 80.
I have copleted 06-07 decks , first aid asda ,previous papers and old kaplan review book
and studt habbit

you better re-take the nbde 1 now coz starting jan 2010 anyone who has passed the exam will not be able to retake it.

congrats that 's the awesome score, well done desi! you have mentioned about everything but the questions posted in SDN. How useful was it ? do we have to do it ace off? And also u say the Kaplan notes, is it NBDE or Usmle? pls do reply this . Good luck.

hi friends
i'm so happy i scored 99 -comp score in NBDE-1 . i had appeared on june 10 ,2009...........its a dream come true.:laugh::laugh:

hi dentok
please i need your help
i'm studying now from decks 2007
and when i have any problem with any information i back to wikipedia website and i catch it very well
so do you think decks 2009 is much better because i heard that there is differnce just in the questions
what is your opinion about tne wikipedia like a refferance

i'm waiting your answer
thanks alot

these lectures may help but they are way beyond NBDE. they
will clear ur concepts ,as i viewed them ,but they r not helpful so to save time and be focussed limit ur target
can you please tell me where I could get the dental decks from? thanks

u really got unbelievable , excellent score....... ws that ur first trial ?
how do u like kaplan classes.....? is it worth taking it ?

thanks 'n' this was my first trial. there r no kaplan clases by any teacher but there are lectures videos that u can view on computer.learn it by urself process.
you can say they r helpful in clearing ur concepts but r extensive pattern of usmle 1.

and studt habbit

hi there,
why that dissappointment????? cheerup.this is not the end of the world.Furthermore, i think u r overdoing it.why not just kaplan review book and decks + papers in the last month.don't just mug it up ask for the reasons as to why the author is asking a question and u will know the difference.even if u don't join kaplan or buy new decks it will mean same to u so try to concentrate on fewer topics.

HI dentok,

Can you please tell me if you had done every chapter in lippincot or just the selected ones?

Thanks...

hi f. khan,
I did lippincott many times and did each and every chapter thoroughly.But try doing proteins, amino acids ,lipids and all cycles.every chapter ends with group of diseases it can afflict so after 2-3 readings u come to a conclusion that it's pretty simple pattern---eg,-types of aa's , function , how body functions, elimination , diseases caused by them.same with all others.

congrats that 's the awesome score, well done desi! you have mentioned about everything but the questions posted in SDN. How useful was it ? do we have to do it ace off? And also u say the Kaplan notes, is it NBDE or Usmle? pls do reply this . Good luck.

honestly i came to know about sdn at a later stage.didn't do any posted questions so can't be of any help about them. God bless we r doing nbde-1.so do only nbde kaplan which is very vast compared to what is required.U can use USMLE first aid but as a supplement but not must.
:thumbup:

hi dentok
please i need your help
i'm studying now from decks 2007
and when i have any problem with any information i back to wikipedia website and i catch it very well
so do you think decks 2009 is much better because i heard that there is differnce just in the questions
what is your opinion about tne wikipedia like a refferance

i'm waiting your answer
thanks alot
thats a good way of tackling the information (wiki).if u want to have 5% more information u can go for new decks.
wiki is a good reference if u try to jot down everything u learn from it and then revise it again and again,otherwise , u will forget what u learn

HI Anniestar, I know I thought About it but the thing is that I want to give myself enough time to study as I have been out of school for 3 years.....and if by God`s grace we get good score, we can apply to some universities like New York which accept till January....and if not we can apply next year and in the time being we can improve our credentials.....

As it is very important to get good scores the first time...because even if you get good score second time, the scores of the first time always matter....

Thats why I want to give myself sufficient time because it is my first time for the test.....

So Is it your first time.....and how long have you been studying.......

Hi bddsgirl

can you please tell me what are the credentials we need to improve?

thank you

annie

dear dentok

thank you very very much
your answer was really helpful
i want to ask you another thinks please if you don't mind
1) i did specialization in orthodontics in my country and it is non-accredited dental school
the question is can i enter to orthodontics programe directly without doing the two years of general dentistry? and what should i do for that ?
2) and i was the first graduated student when i graduated from dental school is that play any role here in usa?
3) and if i start now what is the perfect time to schaduale my nbde part 1
since i can study 4-5 hours each day because i have alot of obligations

again thank you alooooooooooot

Hi bddsgirl

can you please tell me what are the credentials we need to improve?

thank you

annie
The first scores are not being reported by the Joint Commission. They are reported only if they are specifically requested.
You can improve credentials by volunteering(observership) in a dental office or working as a dental assistant. You can also pass Part II.

Thank you Raluca for the information.I came to know today only that we do have to do some other work too.
How can i know more information regarding this?

dear dentok

thank you very very much
your answer was really helpful
i want to ask you another thinks please if you don't mind
1) i did specialization in orthodontics in my country and it is non-accredited dental school
the question is can i enter to orthodontics programe directly without doing the two years of general dentistry? and what should i do for that ?
2) and i was the first graduated student when i graduated from dental school is that play any role here in usa?
3) and if i start now what is the perfect time to schaduale my nbde part 1
since i can study 4-5 hours each day because i have alot of obligations

again thank you alooooooooooot

1.even if u did ur ortho from non acredited dental school it is quite possible for you to secure entry into ortho program offered at many universities .could u be a bit more specific on the kind of ortho program u attended.U missed a program a few days back .
2.i'm not sure if that has any negative effect but it surely gonna help
3.even if u study 4-5 hrs a day it may be enough if u r precise.Do not delay even for a day now as the part 1 & 2 may merge soon.Go ahead with ur studies:thumbup:

hi f. khan,
I did lippincott many times and did each and every chapter thoroughly.But try doing proteins, amino acids ,lipids and all cycles.every chapter ends with group of diseases it can afflict so after 2-3 readings u come to a conclusion that it's pretty simple pattern---eg,-types of aa's , function , how body functions, elimination , diseases caused by them.same with all others.
can you tell me where i can get the lippincott from? thanks again

dear dentok
waht do you mean the part 1 & 2 may merge soon

soon nbde1 and nbde2 will merge becoming one exam and will be reported as pass or fail for liscencing purpous only no mark will be given and their will be a new system for the international students it will be probably made of 2 exams a theoritical one and a practical one

this might take place next year or in 2012 the final decision has not been made yet

well i graduated 7 years ago and came to canada 6 mos back.i studied 12-14 hrs daily from the following books:
1. know the newer dental decks through and through.
2. biochemistry-lippincott
3. microbiology and pathology-kaplan (and lange as reference)
4. dental anatomy -kaplan and wheelers 3d cd
5. anatomy - kaplan
6. plus i did all the released papers twice to be honest
steinbacher - q and a -not very helpful
no other book is helpful .as I also know about crack the nbde , a friend of mine owns it he says not so helpful and i do agree with him.
just stick to the basic concepts .
i prepared everything in 4 months.
lay more stress on scoring topics in microbiology,physiology,DA and anatomy
brainstorm on immunology,virology, physiology concepts in every system esp.respiratory,renal,gastrointestinal system,hormones
path-respiratory
biochem-cycles ,related diseases,aminoacids
try to complete biochem first and keep it for restudying for last 2 days
path the second then physiology which u need badly for conceptual questions everywhere.and last but not the least each aspect of dental anatomy.
after this i completed the decks 3-4 times and kept those decks aside which i regularly forgot for last moment
no need to do theory books for dental anatomy
then last month for tests that are timed exactly as on test day though old tests are of no use these days do them if u have time.newer tests are of greater help.
then i did steinbacher q and a which was helpful only in a few concepts
i think 4 months are enough for this may be 5 months to the maximum.
congratulations man!!! huge success!! everyone has a deam 2 get good score like u did..g8t man!! actually I have planned 2 come 2 canada for nbde..Nd taken centre in ottawa..from which centre u appeared???

TO DENTOK well i m afraid of this new rule..I have got student visa and due 2 this new rule i have deffered my admission 2 spring and want 2 clear nbde by dec... so I just want 2 have idea about prometric centre in canada?? Is it good na???

Hi Dentok , it 's gr8 to have someone so helpful in the forum .....In regards to an earlier post of urs this month , u had mentioned about the ASDA H_M packets ,,,I have my exam in about a week's time and I dont have any papers after 2004 pilot exam ....does this H-M packet contain more ( i mean 2005 onwards ) ???plz let me knw and also if u can tell me where to get them frm ..It will be gr8 help .....plz email me soon at [email protected]

TO DENTOK well i m afraid of this new rule..I have got student visa and due 2 this new rule i have deffered my admission 2 spring and want 2 clear nbde by dec... so I just want 2 have idea about prometric centre in canada?? Is it good na???

buddy all centers are the same

Hi Dentok , it 's gr8 to have someone so helpful in the forum .....In regards to an earlier post of urs this month , u had mentioned about the ASDA H_M packets ,,,I have my exam in about a week's time and I dont have any papers after 2004 pilot exam ....does this H-M packet contain more ( i mean 2005 onwards ) ???plz let me knw and also if u can tell me where to get them frm ..It will be gr8 help .....plz email me soon at [email protected]

pilot 2004 is the most recent
any other questions u can PM at sdn
best of luck

hey dentok!! may I know which center u appeared?? Nd I have taken ottawa center on sep 9..... thanks dear......

dear hari4nbde,
ur persistence to knw the center is no awail as i said centers are the same everywhere no difference at all in them but i have seen ottawa center and it is excellent:thumbup:

congrats dentok,this is really awsome score:)
i m doing physioiogy from ganong and anatomy from chaurasia,along with kaplan nbde and decks,is this sufficiant?

hi gajhni ,
doing physiology from ganong will take a lot of ur time.
And anatomy from chaurasia is also long enough to remember.
Kindly do smaller versions of these books .
Kaplan and decks will be enough for anatomy and others too.
for other book references look at the start of this thread.

pilot 2004 is the most recent
any other questions u can PM at sdn
best of luck
firstly congrats for such a good score and taking ur time to help others. i m giving exam in a week so really very stressed out.i do have 2004 pilot qs but dont have the ans to it, could u plz mail me the ans if u have, my email id is [email protected] .i would b really very very thankful .

hi dentok,
iam retaking my part 1 ,earlier score was 85 (2003),
did u do previos q papers/ i have ASDApapers from A TO J ,
where can get latest q papers ? will it help revising all q papers
pls do let me know ASAP .
HOW MANY HRS /DAY DID u study?(sorry abt caps ,just a typo)
i am starting now , for dec 2009 /jan 2010
also i have old decks with me /shld i buy new decks?
ur advise will help me much
thanks in advance
aniravi

Last edited:
hi dentok,
iam retaking my part 1 ,earlier score was 85 (2003),
did u do previos q papers/ i have ASDApapers from A TO J ,
where can get latest q papers ? will it help revising all q papers
pls do let me know ASAP .
HOW MANY HRS /DAY DID u study?(sorry abt caps ,just a typo)
i am starting now , for dec 2009 /jan 2010
also i have old decks with me /shld i buy new decks?
ur advise will help me much
thanks in advance
aniravi

You have to take the exam before December 31, 2009 because you have already past the exam and starting with January 2010 you will not be able to retake Part I or Part II if passed.

thanks raluca,
i dont know how new system works , so what do i do first?just send my application to jcndb ,with ece etc , how is the exam sc heduled by prometric? will i get a date in a test center close to my home before dec 31?
thanks in advance!