year off before internship??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osteogal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone take a year off after finishing medical school before starting residency? I was wondering if it's difficult to get a residency a year later if one takes this one year interlude prior to entering into residency. I would be doing this to take care of my baby.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I've taken a year off between finishing med school and starting residency. Does it effect the position you get? Will tell you once the match is done. It won't effect your interviews; you will get good ones. In your case, you have an extremely good reason for delaying the commencement of your training. You should be fine, the time off for you will be inconsequential. I was denied interviews at a few top programs because I took time off, but thems the brakes. You can only live life once...live it on your own terms.

take the time off...YOU WILL REMEMBER BEING WITH YOUR BABY FAR LONGER THAN YOU WILL THE ONE YEAR DELAY OF RESIDENCY.

Thanks Brownman! It's reassuring to know that there is still hope for interviewing opportunities even after taking a year off after med school. Hope your interviews go great!

Members don't see this ad :)
hi- i took a year out to do research and i too got most of the interviews i wanted; can't say the ones i was denied was due to my taking time off, though. myabe it was b/c i was doing research but the subject of taking a year before starting residency was almost never brought up. so yes, i agree with brownman. enjoy this time with your baby- you'll do fine.

Thanks for the input 12nico12!