Rgroov3

10+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2005
Status
Do many medical students take a year off to do research? If so, do many do it through HHMI or on their own? Can it be at a different school?

BozoSparky

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2006
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Some schools have a 5-year option where you take a year for research or something other endeavor. Not sure what proportion of students take this on.

njbmd

Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2001
Gone Walkabout!
Visit site
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Rgroov3 said:
Do many medical students take a year off to do research? If so, do many do it through HHMI or on their own? Can it be at a different school?

Hi there,
Taking a year off for research or to pick up an MPH etc. is not uncommon but most folks go on through in four years. If you have a great research project, it's not a bad thing to do especially if you get a great experience and some solid publications.

It's far more common to do a research year or two in residency.

njbmd :)

Brainsucker

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2005
New York
Status
njbmd said:
Hi there,
Taking a year off for research or to pick up an MPH etc. is not uncommon but most folks go on through in four years. If you have a great research project, it's not a bad thing to do especially if you get a great experience and some solid publications.

It's far more common to do a research year or two in residency.

njbmd :)
I dunno, I think this depends on the school. Where I am, the number of people who take a year off for research or dual degrees is pretty damn high. There are certain residencies that really like it if you've taken a productive year for research. (UCSF neurosurg, for instance.)

HHMI has two programs for medical students that I know of: the NIH Cloister program has you at the NIH in Bethesda, while the research scholar (?) program lets you submit a grant app for work somewhere else. There are also funding sources from a variety of other foundations for clinical or basic science research. Your dean's office should have more information on this.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads