Year off for research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rgroov3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do many medical students take a year off to do research? If so, do many do it through HHMI or on their own? Can it be at a different school?

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools have a 5-year option where you take a year for research or something other endeavor. Not sure what proportion of students take this on.

Rgroov3 said:
Do many medical students take a year off to do research? If so, do many do it through HHMI or on their own? Can it be at a different school?

Hi there,
Taking a year off for research or to pick up an MPH etc. is not uncommon but most folks go on through in four years. If you have a great research project, it's not a bad thing to do especially if you get a great experience and some solid publications.

It's far more common to do a research year or two in residency.

njbmd :)

njbmd said:
Hi there,
Taking a year off for research or to pick up an MPH etc. is not uncommon but most folks go on through in four years. If you have a great research project, it's not a bad thing to do especially if you get a great experience and some solid publications.

It's far more common to do a research year or two in residency.

njbmd :)
I dunno, I think this depends on the school. Where I am, the number of people who take a year off for research or dual degrees is pretty damn high. There are certain residencies that really like it if you've taken a productive year for research. (UCSF neurosurg, for instance.)

HHMI has two programs for medical students that I know of: the NIH Cloister program has you at the NIH in Bethesda, while the research scholar (?) program lets you submit a grant app for work somewhere else. There are also funding sources from a variety of other foundations for clinical or basic science research. Your dean's office should have more information on this.