Year off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UofRochesterMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current senior who plans on applying to PhD programs in psychology throughout the summer. In the meantime, I was looking to get involved with something that will help my resume as well as bring in a little money. I am aware that the obvious answer is research, but I feel like there aren't that many research opportunities for people with a BA is psychology.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current senior who plans on applying to PhD programs in psychology throughout the summer. In the meantime, I was looking to get involved with something that will help my resume as well as bring in a little money. I am aware that the obvious answer is research, but I feel like there aren't that many research opportunities for people with a BA is psychology.
First of all, best of luck to you! I know it can be hard out there, but there are some post-bac positions available, so keep your eyes peeled!

There are a few things to consider when you are looking for post-bac positions. Believe me, I know, and I'm sure a lot of other people know since they've been through your shoes before.

If you're light on the research experience, don't be shy to take even 2 years off (or more) to garner that. It's extremely important that you not only get that experience, but also make some valuable contribution to the lab. Everyone's going to have the grunt work on their resume, and it's an important stepping stone to take. However, to be competitive enough for the good PhD programs, you definitely should have at least presented a poster or maybe contributed to a publication to be considered for the first round of interviews. In other words, don't stop at grunt work - you have to take the initiative and push it a step forward.

If you've already got some good research experience under your belt, then try for research or clinic coordinator positions. There are a number of programs that look for lab coordinators, and you'll get a lot more in-depth research experience that you wouldn't be able to get elsewhere. It's extremely valuable experience, and often gives you insight into the inner workings of a lab. Additionally, it helps you build great connections and obtain great letters of rec.

The hard part is...finding them! Many of them are by word-of-mouth, but some of them are also done by public postings (though rarely). A good place to start is to locate a nearby lab whose faculty you have shared interests with. Explain your eagerness and interest in their lab/work and ask if you can help in any way. If that doesn't work, the worst that can happen is that they say no, or they may be able to forward you on some other labs that are looking for those positions. Other ways to hear it is through listserves (like your school's, SIG's, etc.).

Also, I know you don't want to hear this, but timing is EVERYTHING. Some positions will want you to work right away (and you can't, because you're still in school), and others won't open up until much later. Because of this, it's important to be cognizant and keep your eyes peeled at all times for potential opportunities. If you're lucky, maybe some lab you currently work with will have someone leaving soon, and who else is better to replace them than an RA that's been there for a while?

Hopefully that helps! Long-winded answer, but man, I remember those times... :)

Most research facilities expect to hire post-bacs who will ultimately be applying to grad school or med school, so if you have a good resume and are a promising candidate, that shouldnt be an issue. Best advice I have: email, email, email. You have to hunt these positions down, they dont usually show themselves. Send out many emails to department chairs, PI's, professors, etc. at institutions (hospitals, universities) and ask if they are looking for anyone or if they can refer you to someone that is. It required some effort, but its the best way to go about it.