Year One Textbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doghead

We make our own luck.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What texts are suggested for a the first 2 years of school?

Not to presume that I will be accepted this year, but I want to purchase my eBooks before I hopefully begin next fall so that I can familiarize myself and practice annotating. Learning how to learn and take notes is my biggest obstacle, so I want to get a head start. Is there a standard set of texts for every school, or are each different?

Members don't see this ad.

Not to presume that I will be accepted this year, but I want to purchase my eBooks before I hopefully begin next fall so that I can familiarize myself and practice annotating. Learning how to learn and take notes is my biggest obstacle, so I want to get a head start. Is there a standard set of texts for every school, or are each different?

There are a wide range of textbooks for every subject and the preferred text is different at each school. Please read one of the eight million threads about the low yield of trying to pre-read for med school.

Reactions: 3 users
There are a wide range of textbooks for every subject and the preferred text is different at each school. Please read one of the eight million threads about the low yield of trying to pre-read for med school.

I did a substantial search, I was just trying to get an up-to-date view on the matter as texts are always being updated or switched for newer, better ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're only going to get responses that say don't pre-study, which I agree with.

The one book you could understand without context and would be useful for M1 and M2 would be Constanzo Physiology.

Reactions: 1 users
My advice is talk to your eventual upperclassmen. Sometimes, the professor might follow a book so closely it's worth getting a copy. Otherwise, only buy books if you know you're a book person, and buy books that also happen to be useful for USMLE prep. As stated above, Costanzo etc.

I did a substantial search, I was just trying to get an up-to-date view on the matter as texts are always being updated or switched for newer, better ones.

Textbook revisions, with rare exception, are iterative and not transformative. It's not like the list of the best/most commonly used books has changed dramatically in the last couple of years. In fact it is essentially the exact same as it was when I was a first year med student nearly a decade ago. So again, the search function is your friend.

Reactions: 1 user

In that case, you should present your findings here so that others can benefit from them, and so we can guide you better. You could have just posted in one of the old threads instead of making a new one as well.

You're only going to get responses that say don't pre-study, which I agree with.

The one book you could understand without context and would be useful for M1 and M2 would be Constanzo Physiology.

Thank you! That was very helpful. I will research more accordingly to your advice!

My advice is talk to your eventual upperclassmen. Sometimes, the professor might follow a book so closely it's worth getting a copy. Otherwise, only buy books if you know you're a book person, and buy books that also happen to be useful for USMLE prep. As stated above, Costanzo etc.

USMLE overlap, got it. I will look into this...

"Purchase my eBooks"

Is that what kids are calling it these days?

Reactions: 3 users
As someone else said, the best info you can possibly get will come from upperclassmen. If your institution is anything like mine, the second years will bombard you with information and tips for getting through the year. It'd be wise to follow their advice if only because they know what sources are best for both doing well in your courses as well as preparing you for step 1.

Also most "e-books" are available as illegal downloads that the 2nd years will also probably give you if you ask them.

Reactions: 4 users
Basically all you need is First Aid, Costanzos and maybe an anatomy atlas (I recommend Rohen). Don't waste money on anything else. There is no such thing as "practicing annotating", that's a waste of time. You don't know what's important and you don't even have any of the background that you need to even understand 90% of what you will see. Everyone wants to get a head start but it won't help. You figure out how to study as you go through school.

Members don't see this ad :)
focus more on secondaries and preparing for interviews than prereading before you're even accepted...

Reactions: 2 users

Just curious, why would you worry about what textbooks you need for medical school, when you haven't even made it into A medical school yet? Each basic science subject has a variety of textbooks to choose from which is chose by the professor. Also, many schools choose to not go out of textbooks but use professor-made syllabi instead where textbooks are more a reference.

Basically all you need is First Aid, Costanzos and maybe an anatomy atlas (I recommend Rohen). Don't waste money on anything else. There is no such thing as "practicing annotating", that's a waste of time. You don't know what's important and you don't even have any of the background that you need to even understand 90% of what you will see. Everyone wants to get a head start but it won't help. You figure out how to study as you go through school.

Noted. Very helpful, thank you. As for practicing annotating, I thought it might help to learn my way around Evernote/Onenote and Anki/Firecracker on a tablet as I had seen suggested, because I really have no experience with electronics in the note-taking process. But from what I read, it can make one efficient med student if used correctly.

Arrrrrrrrrr.

Ever since I got a laser printer at home, my life has never been the same.
Meaning that you download your books, and then print the chapters you're currently studying?

I thought you guys were going to tell him to get Guyton and big Robbins.

I just print the entire thing - landscape with 2 pages per side double-sided makes most texts pretty manageable. Our class Dropbox effectively operates as a PDF depot of the most popular texts sorted by rotation.
Isn't laser printer ink expensive?

Isn't laser printer ink expensive?

Not as bad as I thought it would be. Granted I buy cheap knock-off cartridges that I'm sure are slowly destroying the printer somehow, but the print quality is pretty good and I get about 2000 pages from a $30 cartridge (vs. $70 for the OEM ones).

^ Both. They are considered the authoritative sources in their respective subject areas.

The only reason you buy textbooks for first year is so that you know you don't need them.

Are those notoriously bad or are you being serious?
They're considered the Bible for their particular subject. The problem is they're impossible to get thru the entire book.

Last edited:
Their considered the Bible for their particular subject. The problem is they're impossible to get thru the entire book.
Says who? Any medical student worth their salt has read em multiple times.

So... what if I REALLY want to pre-study because I am freaking out that I am completely unqualified and that getting into an MD school was a fluke? And this is made worse by the fact that at my school pre-clin is 1.5 years (so I better be on top of boards).

Whats the best book/thing to get through? The 500pg physiology text above? Or any good resource for anatomy (I am scared, I don't even know the names of the two long bones in the leg)?

So... what if I REALLY want to pre-study because I am freaking out that I am completely unqualified and that getting into an MD school was a fluke?

Join the club, it's called "everyone." ;)

Reactions: 8 users
My advice to the incoming M1s is this: everyone is going to tell you to read Costanzo or some other "easy" "pre-clinical book". Bypass that crap and go right for the meat of medicine: clinical textbooks.

So, working by each major field, I recommend every MS0 (I love that term) have done at least a cursory readthrough of each of the following

Internal Medicine: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
Psychiatry: Kaplan and Sadock's Synopsis of Psychiatry
Ob/Gyn: Gabbe Obstetrics and Williams Gynecology (Sorry, two books. But you must read each.)
Surgery: Sabiston's Textbook of Surgery (Schwartz or Greenfield is also appropriate, or all three plus Mastery of Surgery and Cameron's if you are considering a surgical field, as I assume you are to be even asking this question)
Pediatrics: Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics

I would also recommend if you are interested in a specific field, you should read a text in that field. For example, I was interested in otolaryngology, so I read Cummings and Myers.

I think if you have all that covered before applying to med school, you shouldn't be too far behind for interviews.

Reactions: 6 users
Does it have to be in that order? Or should I go in developmental order. Like start with GYN, then OB, then pediatrics, etc

But seriously, what's the highest yield thing to learn?

Everything is high yield. You never know what will come in handy in the future to help your patient.

My advice to the incoming M1s is this: everyone is going to tell you to read Costanzo or some other "easy" "pre-clinical book". Bypass that crap and go right for the meat of medicine: clinical textbooks.

So, working by each major field, I recommend every MS0 (I love that term) have done at least a cursory readthrough of each of the following

Internal Medicine: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
Psychiatry: Kaplan and Sadock's Synopsis of Psychiatry
Ob/Gyn: Gabbe Obstetrics and Williams Gynecology (Sorry, two books. But you must read each.)
Surgery: Sabiston's Textbook of Surgery (Schwartz or Greenfield is also appropriate, or all three plus Mastery of Surgery and Cameron's if you are considering a surgical field, as I assume you are to be even asking this question)
Pediatrics: Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics

I would also recommend if you are interested in a specific field, you should read a text in that field. For example, I was interested in otolaryngology, so I read Cummings and Myers.

I think if you have all that covered before applying to med school, you shouldn't be too far behind for interviews.
Very comprehensive, thank you. So outside of this, there's not much else you wish you had a head start on before you started school?

Very comprehensive, thank you. So outside of this, there's not much else you wish you had a head start on before you started school?
:uhno:

83fd02da_smeter3ob.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Amateurs. He's completely missed essential reading like Heptinstall and Brenner and Rector's, not to mention the Will's Manual and Yanoff. For light reading - Fitzpatricks. Why are you not studying right now? Stop wasting time posting, and get reading!!!

Thanks guys!

I'll be heading to the butchers and picking up a full pig. I plan to start practicing vascular surgery while reading the above textbooks.

Textbooks are secondary sources. If you really want to learn the nuts and bolts of medicine, you need primary sources. I recommend getting journal subscriptions and going through their archives.

Thanks guys!

I'll be heading to the butchers and picking up a full pig. I plan to start practicing vascular surgery while reading the above textbooks.

Secondary Source : Butcher
Primary Source: Farmer :thumbup:

Do the dirty deed.

Last edited:
my year one requirements:
First-year students will require:

Reactions: 11 users

As others have said, in this thread and in countless others, there is nothing you can or should do to "prepare" for starting medical school. Orientation week exists for a reason. If you do literally nothing until school starts you will be on the same page as everyone else starting in the fall.

There's no harm in learning how to use certain programs you think you might use, but doing so now won't translate into you getting ahead of anyone else in your class (because it takes so little time to learn how to use them).

Are those notoriously bad or are you being serious?
Those are notoriously painfully thick. I actually did read Guyton front to back.

Anyway, if you're the type that needs to pre-study - ignore what others are saying. Do it. My honest suggestion is just to start in on anatomy first (unless you already know your anatomy, then do physio). Get the whole upper limb or thorax out of the way before classes start.

Those are notoriously painfully thick. I actually did read Guyton front to back.

Anyway, if you're the type that needs to pre-study - ignore what others are saying. Do it. My honest suggestion is just to start in on anatomy first (unless you already know your anatomy, then do physio). Get the whole upper limb or thorax out of the way before classes start.

You read Guyton? I couldn't even get through Anna Karenina.

my year one requirements:
First-year students will require:

God if only I could be going to Hogwarts. Medical school was my back up =/

You read Guyton? I couldn't even get through Anna Karenina.
I have read every page of Guyton and typed up paraphrased notes to every chapter. To be fair, Guyton was more fast-paced than AK. And I slacked on histo big time.

I have read every page of Guyton and typed up paraphrased notes to every chapter. To be fair, Guyton was more fast-paced than AK. And I slacked on histo big time.
What a complete waste of time. That being said, I hope you do spectacular on Step 1, you deserve it for that level of effort.

What a complete waste of time. That being said, I hope you do spectacular on Step 1, you deserve it for that level of effort.

Actually i think there are some important chapters in guytons and robbins, obviously its pointless reading the whole book. But i did read quite a few chapters in guytons, and pretty much all of general path from the middle robbins

Actually i think there are some important chapters in guytons and robbins, obviously its pointless reading the whole book. But i did read quite a few chapters in guytons, and pretty much all of general path from the middle robbins
I agree there are important chapters in Guyton. Usually it's way too many chapters to be covered by faculty. Not to mention it can get quite repetive on certain topics and not explain the entire picture in one place: i.e. sympathetic vasoconstriction.

Is it just me or does Guyton sound like it could be a type of cheese?