Yearly Tuition vs. Number of Semesters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zariman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am confused about the yearly tuition listed on school websites.

For example, Northwestern's website lists their tuition as $36,609 yearly. However, NU DPT program is only 8 trimesters long compared to other schools that have 9 trimesters. If such was the case wouldn't the adjusted yearly tuition be lower than the reported $36,609? After calculation, the adjusted cost is $32,541 per year which sounds a lot more affordable than the original number.

Members don't see this ad.

does their website say anywhere that the final year of the program is a little less expensive than years 1 and 2? If not, I would assume that each year is what they stated regardless of numbers of trimesters in comparison to other programs. Usually if a program charges less during the third year due to number of credits or whatever, they will say that. Always contact the program though :)

I forgot to mention that a letter I received from NU states that per trimester tuition is $12,203. There are three trimesters in the 1st year, three 2nd year, and two 3rd year. This is how I came up with the notion that the actual yearly tuition is cheaper than what the website states.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea then you'd just multiply the 12,000 by number of trimesters. Give them a ring about any disparities though. That's the only way you'll get the right answer.

I was just at the open house for Northwestern last weekend and at the financial aid presentation they said that tuition will be a little over $100,000 for all three years for the incoming class. That's tuition only - they estimated $160,000 for tuition, living, and personal expenses over the three years, although most of the current students said that was definitely an overestimate. Hope that helps, at least for NU!

I'm kind of confused with one of these schools tuition rates also. For the DPT program the school has on it's tuition and fees page that it is $9,066 per term but the school has 10 terms, 4 of which are only 6 credits each while the other terms range from 12 to 17 credits each. Are the 6 credit terms also $9,066? Are all the terms the same price regardless of the number of credits in each term?

The school is Franklin Pierce University by the way.

Edit: Yes!! I found another cheap school. Not the one I was just talking about but no one here is talking about the school.

Last edited: