yes/no: list community college experience on residency application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sella turcica

cerebrogenesis imperfecta
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I leave community college experience off my ERAS app, since I did not receive any degree from them?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would think that community college works for you; if you did well in medical school, then someone looking at your application would think that you beat the odds and worked extremely hard to get where you are despite your initial circumstances.

N.B. I am not a program director.

Yes, you should list all educational experience after high school regardless of whether or not you received a degree. As a reviewer, I don't care whether you went to a community college and transferred or whether you attended the same school all four years to earn your degree. I do, however, want to see the educational path you've taken to get where you are.

-

Last edited:
Hm. It is a little surprising to hear. I really assumed it would bring up questions, given that I'm in an average MD program and not a top-tier one.

No one cares about whether you took classes at a community college or not. Your paucity of interviews was likely due to something else in your application rather than the fact that you took a few freshman level courses at your local J.C. while in high school.

I took ONE community college CLASS during a summer form my undergrad university. I received no degree from the CC. Do I still have to list that I attended that community college on ERAS even though it was for one class during a summer during University?

Thanks!

No. Programs will not care about this

Are you addressing me (OP) or the last poster? When you say no, do you mean "don't include the CC" or "no, include it, it's not important"?

Are you addressing me (OP) or the last poster? When you say no, do you mean "don't include the CC" or "no, include it, it's not important"?
I was addressing the last poster, but the answer applies to your situation also. No PD anywhere is going to care whether you went to a CC for some time. List it or not, your choice, it will make no difference. It's all about your performance in medical school now.