Yet another Contract non-renewal thread.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NeedHelp1234

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just completed my intern year in IM however was not offered option to renew for PGY-2 year. During remediation I resigned and managed to register for the SOAP--application not timely for anything else.

Can anyone tell me what would be my chances of getting a PGY-2 position in IM through the SOAP; or for that matter any other field? Any sincere advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There will not be any PGY2 IM positions in SOAP. You may find another intern spot in IM and see if they'll accelerate your graduation. But given that your initial program didn't think you were ready to be a PGY2, it's unlikely another program will let you waltz in and put on that hat.

You could also consider any advanced spots in SOAP such as Neuro, Rads or Gas if they're available, if that's something you think you might like to do.

But expect to spend 3 more years in IM if that's what you decide to do.

Reactions: 1 users
I just completed my intern year in IM however was not offered option to renew for PGY-2 year. I did not pass a period of remediation and thought it best to leave than go on probation and risk termination. I managed to register for the SOAP--application not timely for anything else.

Can anyone tell me what would be my chances of getting a PGY-2 position in IM through the SOAP; or for that matter any other field? Any sincere advice is appreciated.

Have you talked with your PD to see if they would support your application to other IM spots or other fields? Any new program, no matter if it is IM or another, will want to have a letter from your former PD and may want to talk with them over the phone.

Have you talked with your PD to see if they would support your application to other IM spots or other fields? Any new program, no matter if it is IM or another, will want to have a letter from your former PD and may want to talk with them over the phone.

According to my PD, my letter will help me in whatever field I choose. I just don't know the path forward and what to expect...

There will not be any PGY2 IM positions in SOAP. You may find another intern spot in IM and see if they'll accelerate your graduation. But given that your initial program didn't think you were ready to be a PGY2, it's unlikely another program will let you waltz in and put on that hat.

You could also consider any advanced spots in SOAP such as Neuro, Rads or Gas if they're available, if that's something you think you might like to do.

But expect to spend 3 more years in IM if that's what you decide to do.

So another IM program will accept me as a PGY-1? Is this really possible? I was given credit for intern year already.
Btw, what's Gas?

So another IM program will accept me as a PGY-1? Is this really possible? I was given credit for intern year already.
Maybe. But nobody's going to take you on as a fresh PGY2 when you essentially failed out of your first intern year. And don't count your chickens before you see the intern certificate.
Btw, what's Gas?
Anesthesia.

Is that really an obscure nickname?

Maybe. But nobody's going to take you on as a fresh PGY2 when you essentially failed out of your first intern year. And don't count your chickens before you see the intern certificate.

Anesthesia.

Is that really an obscure nickname?

Yes it is obscure enough for me--never heard of it before.
Program doesn't give certificate. I have documentation though. So I didn't fail out.
That said, given the intern credit, will I have to redo the PGY1 year? This doesn't make sense to me.

What do you mean when you say"I did not pass a period of remediation" ?

Do you feel competent to step up and be a PGY2 ? Would your PD say you are competent and able to do all of the tasks other PGY2s are expected to do?

What do you see as the difference between being "not offered option to renew for PGY2" and your decision to "leave then go on probation and risk termination"?
To me not being offered a contract is termination. Maybe I'm just misreading your post.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

According to my PD, my letter will help me in whatever field I choose. I just don't know the path forward and what to expect...

Did you discuss this letter in any detail? Do you know what he will say about you and the circumstances regarding your nonrenewal? You need to make sure you are both on the same page about the exact reasonings. Your future programs will ask you about it and if you say one thing and your PD says another... well, that won't look good.

As for choosing a field, I think alot has to do with the reasons why you aren't be kept on... Was it a patient safety issue, a knowledge issue, a personality issue? You don't have to give specifics, but some detail can help to give you better advice.

Did you discuss this letter in any detail? Do you know what he will say about you and the circumstances regarding your nonrenewal? You need to make sure you are both on the same page about the exact reasonings. Your future programs will ask you about it and if you say one thing and your PD says another... well, that won't look good.

As for choosing a field, I think alot has to do with the reasons why you aren't be kept on... Was it a patient safety issue, a knowledge issue, a personality issue? You don't have to give specifics, but some detail can help to give you better advice.

OK I have to clarify a lot with the PD.
I wasn't terminated, I resigned at the conclusion of my intern year. I completed intern year successfully and decided not to go on to PGY-2 at the institution. At conclusion of intern year I remediated. PD and I agreed that I should seek training elsewhere.

OK I have to clarify a lot with the PD.
I wasn't terminated, I resigned at the conclusion of my intern year. I completed intern year successfully and decided not to go on to PGY-2 at the institution. At conclusion of intern year I remediated. PD and I agreed that I should seek training elsewhere.

In the eyes of a future program, it probably won't be much different than a nonrenewal, but alot depends on how you and the PD spin it. Also, you say you just completed your year, yet the academic year ends in June. Are you saying that you will be finishing in June?

You need to look at the reasons for remediation. That will factor into what you should look to doing. Were you just not cut out for hospital work, but did good in clinic? Perhaps FP would be better suited for you. What part of your year did you enjoy doing and get good reviews on? Do you have any faculty that you feel comfortable with that can give you honest feedback and help guide you to what field you would be best suited for?

I am confused......You decided to not go on or they decided it for you.
It was a mutual decision. I was unhappy there and we both agreed it wasn't a good idea to go on.

In the eyes of a future program, it probably won't be much different than a nonrenewal, but alot depends on how you and the PD spin it. Also, you say you just completed your year, yet the academic year ends in June. Are you saying that you will be finishing in June?

You need to look at the reasons for remediation. That will factor into what you should look to doing. Were you just not cut out for hospital work, but did good in clinic? Perhaps FP would be better suited for you. What part of your year did you enjoy doing and get good reviews on? Do you have any faculty that you feel comfortable with that can give you honest feedback and help guide you to what field you would be best suited for?

I was off track due to a medical leave of absence. I finished my intern year in January.

Last edited:
If I'm reading your posts correctly, you matched into a categorical IM position, ended up with a medical LOA, completed your intern year off cycle, but required some sort of remediation at the end, which you completed.

Here's what we need to know:

1. Will they say that you completed the intern year, and are ready for a PGY-2 position?
2. If so, why did your PD not give you one? If the answer is "not a good fit", both of you need to tell the same story why.
3. What was this late remediation? Are we certain it is "fixed"?

Answers to some of your questions:
1. If you completed a PGY-1 successfully, it's unlikely (but not impossible) that a program will give you another PGY-1.
2. You can look around for a PGY-2 opening. If your PD is willing to support you, they can help by contacting other programs. There is no central list -- you simply have to contact programs in which you are interested.
3. In SOAP you could apply for a PGY-1 in a new field, or a PGY-2 "Advanced (A)" position (which would start July 2017), or a PGY-2 "Reserved (R)" position (which would start July 2016). You only get 30 applications, so you need to think about this and choose carefully.
4. You need a letter from your PD uploaded in ERAS ready for SOAP.

Reactions: 1 users
Hmm ... OP has reworked his first post. In his original post he said he did not pass a period of remediation and then decided to leave than continue on probation and risk termination. But he also said he wasn't offered an option to renew for PGY2. So I don't think any of us knows what is really the story.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I thought he wasn't going to finish intern year or get credit for it.
Whatever, a lot of these fools don't own their issues, or they make stuff up, or if you give advice they don't want to be bothered with them. I'm over these non-renewal threads.

Reactions: 2 users
If I'm reading your posts correctly, you matched into a categorical IM position, ended up with a medical LOA, completed your intern year off cycle, but required some sort of remediation at the end, which you completed.

Here's what we need to know:

1. Will they say that you completed the intern year, and are ready for a PGY-2 position?
2. If so, why did your PD not give you one? If the answer is "not a good fit", both of you need to tell the same story why.
3. What was this late remediation? Are we certain it is "fixed"?

Answers to some of your questions:
1. If you completed a PGY-1 successfully, it's unlikely (but not impossible) that a program will give you another PGY-1.
2. You can look around for a PGY-2 opening. If your PD is willing to support you, they can help by contacting other programs. There is no central list -- you simply have to contact programs in which you are interested.
3. In SOAP you could apply for a PGY-1 in a new field, or a PGY-2 "Advanced (A)" position (which would start July 2017), or a PGY-2 "Reserved (R)" position (which would start July 2016). You only get 30 applications, so you need to think about this and choose carefully.
4. You need a letter from your PD uploaded in ERAS ready for SOAP.

You've captured the situation. Thank you so much for the advice. I am sorting out the finer details with my PD now. We both agreed that I would be better suited as a PGY-2 in another institution. Intern year credit was given and documentation to support is at hand. I resigned. I was offered probation to see if I wanted an opportunity to stay, but I declined. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

Last edited:
Whatever, a lot of these fools don't own their issues, or they make stuff up, or if you give advice they don't want to be bothered with them. I'm over these non-renewal threads.
"fools"?! What's that about?
I got intern year credit. I never waivered on that.

Hmm ... OP has reworked his first post. In his original post he said he did not pass a period of remediation and then decided to leave than continue on probation and risk termination. But he also said he wasn't offered an option to renew for PGY2. So I don't think any of us knows what is really the story.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
This is the complete story.
During remediation PD and I agreed not to move on. I was unhappy in the program and did not want to be a PGY-2 there. They were fine with that and said I passed intern year and they would support my application to another program. That's that. I have documentation to having completed intern year. There's nothing more to this. I'm here for help not flame bait.

It is disconcerting that as a physician colleague you'd choose to castigate your peer who is obviously confused about a sticky situation. Rather than offer some support I guess it is easier to post this dribble--anonymously of course--than offer something meaningful that may make a difference. I doubt sincerely that you'd say this to any of these "fool['s]" faces as I'm sure you're a fine mild mannered physician who meekly goes about their day and only chooses to 'flex' your might on an anonymous internet site from the safety of your home computer.

Last edited:
It is disconcerting that as a physician colleague you'd choose to castigate your peer who is obviously confused about a sticky situation. Rather than offer some support I guess it is easier to post this dribble--anonymously of course--than offer something meaningful that may make a difference. I doubt sincerely that you'd say this to any of these "fool['s]" faces as I'm sure you're a fine mild mannered physician who meekly goes about their day and only chooses to 'flex' your might on an anonymous internet site from the safety of your home computer.

Oh look, a tough guy!
I said what I said because it appeared you switched stories and someone else commented on that too. The other guy with a non-renewal pretty much frustrated a lot of us, so you probably got some misguided backlash from that. I see you've posted in a little moe detail so it's a little clearer now.
Honestly, if you weren't happy in the program, you probably should have started contacting around yesterday. I'd start hitting up programs based on what you think you'd like to do. Sure, do the SOAP but I wouldn't bet on it. Outside the match is probably your better (best) bet.

Reactions: 1 user
I was offered probation to see if I wanted an opportunity to stay, but I declined.
This part is the big problem that I don't understand and that you'll have to explain away to any new program. If your program thought that you needed to be on probation in order to be a PGY-2, then should a new program start you off with probation? Why would they even want to take you, then? Or will your PD not even mention it?

You should also consider that there was a reason you would have needed probation to continue. I hope you can seriously reflect on that reason and address it so you won't have a problem in several months.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
God bless you too, medical student! Don't forget to vote for Donald Trump!
rustled-jimmies-4-bronwinningg-tumblr.png

Lol, trash talking a pharmacist who went to med school to become a physician. Sounds like he's in a much better shape than you my fellow former resident physician colleague.

Lol, trash talking a pharmacist who went to med school to become a physician. Sounds like he's in a much better shape than you my fellow former resident physician colleague.

A guy asks for help in this forum at probably the lowest point in his career and you feel the need to diss him to win a online flame war...

Pathetic

A guy asks for help in this forum at probably the lowest point in his career and you feel the need to diss him to win a online flame war...

Pathetic

OP was unable to take light hearted banter, see above before you start calling people pathetic.

Pathetic

You know what is pathetic is commenting on a thread that has worked itself out to call someone pathetic.

when you were not even around for when the OP changed his story and got butt hurt.

Reactions: 1 user
You know what is pathetic is commenting on a thread that has worked itself out to call someone pathetic.

when you were not even around for when the OP changed his story and got butt hurt.
Damn pharmy/med student. Shouldn't you be studying for a Step or something? I get that this is your life and you get your self worth from it. I appreciate your concern buddy, but I'm fine. Much finer than you think. Now run along now and go pretend to be doctor. This is a long process and you don't know how it will turn out...and who knows who you will meet along the way. And btw, as a med student what gives you such insight to be on a resident forum making sophmoric observations besides a $25 contribution to student doc?

Last edited:
Damn pharmy/med student. Shouldn't you be studying for a Step or something? I get that this is your life and you get your self worth from it. I appreciate your concern buddy, but I'm fine. Much finer than you think. Now run along now and go pretend to be doctor. This is a long process and you don't know how it will turn out...and who knows who you will meet along the way.
See you in July......

Actually I am done playing....just waiting for July. PM and we can discuss where to meet up. I would be happy to meet you as well!
Nice. I'll treat you and your momma to a beer. Can you guys meet me in Harlem, NY?

Wow, momma jokes. Now, I wonder who is more mature. The med student or the resident. :shrug:
I wasn't joking. You or your momma is welcomed in Harlem. Anytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.